5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what RPM does your aftermarket exhaust drone?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine doesn't drone at all. It's the B2 Fabrications oval. They used to use a Magnaflow muffler for this, but have started making their own oval mufflers for it. It's not real aggressive at idle, but I really like the sound when I hit the go pedal.

Jason605

Reaction score
I think an important question to ask is what gears does the truck have also. My old 14 5.7 had the 3.21. I tried a lot of different exhausts. It came down to on the highway the rpm was around 1700 and that is the drone sweet spot, with Mds on/off didn't matter. I now have the 3.92 and highway rpms are higher hence the no or much less drone.

sppb32

Reaction score
No drone at all, Paradox Elite muffler, resonators still on.

Awood05

Reaction score
I think an important question to ask is what gears does the truck have also. My old 14 5.7 had the 3.21. I tried a lot of different exhausts. It came down to on the highway the rpm was around 1700 and that is the drone sweet spot, with Mds on/off didn't matter. I now have the 3.92 and highway rpms are higher hence the no or much less drone.
I would agree with the gearing here. I have the 3.21, although i do not have an aftermarket exhaust, I do feel the throttle pedal vibrations right at 1,700 RPM’s. It’s more prominent with MDS, but doesn’t matter either way.

I’d imagine if I had an AM Exhaust I would hear a terrible drone.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Flowmaster Outlaw muffler, and it's loud, sounds awesome, sounds like a poor man's Borla ATAK full catback, but just the muffler. However it doesn't drone at all except when in MDS mode, as do most non-catback aftermarket systems will do. You want zero drone in MDS, you need one of the full tuned cat-back systems.

Or just get your favorite muffler welded on and turn off your MDS. I paid $275 for the muffler and installation with taxes out the door. I constantly get compliments to how it sounds.

ny2az

Reaction score
heard the 2021 models no longer have the front resonator ... finally got around to looking at my 21' limited and yes,...no forward resonator ... my 20' limited did have the forward resonator ... so my question ... will changing the muffler alone in the 2021 models make the exhaust louder than it was in the 2020 with no forward resonator ... thx

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
How much worse does this sound with an exhaust? I hate MDS!
It's very noticeable at lower speeds. Doesn't matter who you are, when it kicks in at low RPM's it's god awful. Cruising at highway speeds you can't really tell but that's subjective - for some it may be a different story. Personally I just use the gear limiter to disengage MDS from ever coming on.

Johnny5

Reaction score
No drone at all, Paradox Elite muffler, resonators still on.
I've been considering the b2fab for when I get around to it but just came across the paradox. What would you compare it to and how are you liking it or would you do more if you haven't already?

SNAFU88

Reaction score
I have the Solo Performance MR300 muffler delete on a 2020 truck with 3.21 gears. The drone/in -cabin resonance is HORRIBLE at 1500-1700 rpm and 2500-2700 rpm. HORRIBLE. Truck sounds amazing from the outside but is almost unbearable on the inside. Those RPM ranges are right in the sweet spot for around town and highway driving, too, so it takes some work to stay out of the drone zone. I am strongly considering a return to stock.

U

User_63152

I initially thought my ANC was the problem. But, after some testing, bypassing the ANC/hooking it back up, I have come to the conclusion that my MBRP XP muffler (kept the stock rear resonators) has created a serious drone between 1500-1700 RPM. To be honest, it is very annoying. Annoying, more so, when cruising on the interstate at 70-75 mph. The RPM's are right in that flippin' zone! ~1600 RPM! I would rather listen to the MDS/ECO mode all day, instead of that drone. I can drop the gear to 7, but that burns more fuel in the long run. We are talking like 5+ MPG.

I don't care too much about the drone for in town driving. But, when I am driving on the interstate, for long periods of time, I definitely don't want to hear it.

I love how all these YouTube videos show all these exhaust systems, and NO ONE says there is a drone. The guy from MBRP, on his video for this muffler, states, NO DRONE at all.

Yeah, right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Choate

Reaction score
I have an 18” magnaflow and the two rear resonators deleted. At 30-45mph when the MDS kicks in yeah I can definitely hear it but it usually doesn’t stay in that mode long. Other than that especially on the highway from 55-75mph I can honestly say I can’t hear it much at all. Maybe a tiny rumble but definitely no drone. This is with the radio off. Got a nice rumble to it too when you romp on it. I am glad I didn’t go any bigger or smaller w the muffler. I wanted to delete the resonators but not make the truck loud or hear it going down the highway. 3.21 gears

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For drone you have three options.
1)Go back to stock.
2)cut some pipe off the total length to move the standing wave to another rpm band.
3)add a Helmholtz resonator.

If you want to chop pipe length off, ASHRAE has a formula for determining exhaust pipe length of diesel generators for commercial buildings. I used this method on a Silverado that I installed a Banks no-drone cat back on. That POS droned like a cat in heat.

Users who are viewing this thread