5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone swap a shifter?

Draid

Reaction score
so you can use it to park drive reverse neutral but cant shift with it ? is it not the whole purpase of a shifter other then the better look.

i wonder what else would be requiere to actually make it 100% work
Your correct it doesn't have a functioning gear limiter. Only drive rev. Neutral park. I tried and obviously it can do it by grabbing the wire or wires in the steering column. But I cold only get limited schematics from dealer parts department not a tech. They aren't very concerned with my project. I couldn't find an internal diagram of the shifter and buttons. I made assumptions on matching wire colors that turned out correct. I was worried before first turning it on about screwing up the truck but luckily it worked perfectly.
so you can use it to park drive reverse neutral but cant shift with it ? is it not the whole purpase of a shifter other then the better look.

i wonder what else would be requiere to actually make it 100% work
I did this in my previous truck a 2014 mega cab with a column shifter to a console shifter and it was plug and play. I just pulled the plug and wires out of column down to new console shifter and all functions on new shifter worked including +and - .but that system was obviously different. I don't know if it would require module and programming. To my logic the switch I'm the steering wheel uses same method of switching plus minus as internal switching in console shifter.u just couldn't find enough info on it. I even tried to contact an engineer but was unsuccessful as the dealers and probably an engineer couldn't give a crap about my project.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is awesome!!

Ideal arrangement for me would be the standard knob, but with paddle shifters that were responsive and not just a limiter.

Dex17

Reaction score
Your correct it doesn't have a functioning gear limiter. Only drive rev. Neutral park. I tried and obviously it can do it by grabbing the wire or wires in the steering column. But I cold only get limited schematics from dealer parts department not a tech. They aren't very concerned with my project. I couldn't find an internal diagram of the shifter and buttons. I made assumptions on matching wire colors that turned out correct. I was worried before first turning it on about screwing up the truck but luckily it worked perfectly.

I did this in my previous truck a 2014 mega cab with a column shifter to a console shifter and it was plug and play. I just pulled the plug and wires out of column down to new console shifter and all functions on new shifter worked including +and - .but that system was obviously different. I don't know if it would require module and programming. To my logic the switch I'm the steering wheel uses same method of switching plus minus as internal switching in console shifter.u just couldn't find enough info on it. I even tried to contact an engineer but was unsuccessful as the dealers and probably an engineer couldn't give a crap about my project.
Wanna come do mine? Hahaha But that is honestly awesome though! I would totally be happy with just the simple P,R,N,D console shifter as mine is pretty much just a small town hopper. Having a base ‘22 1500 I can’t stand the knob. Shame engineers were no help.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wanna come do mine? Hahaha But that is honestly awesome though! I would totally be happy with just the simple P,R,N,D console shifter as mine is pretty much just a small town hopper. Having a base ‘22 1500 I can’t stand the knob. Shame engineers were no help.
If there was an actual linkage cable the shifter in console would be good. Being that it's just a huge stick connected to electronics, it's a huge waste of space. I'll take my huge storage in center console over a shifter in center console any day. Especially since the shifter doesn't do anything the knob can other than waste space.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there was an actual linkage cable the shifter in console would be good. Being that it's just a huge stick connected to electronics, it's a huge waste of space. I'll take my huge storage in center console over a shifter in center console any day. Especially since the shifter doesn't do anything the knob can other than waste space.
well to say everything the shifter can be use to shift just like the paddles shifter, the rotary knob cant do that

but i know shifting is not for everyone, but if someine is looking to install it, they should know they can move the shifter to the left and use is to shift up or down.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well to say everything the shifter can be use to shift just like the paddles shifter, the rotary knob cant do that

but i know shifting is not for everyone, but if someine is looking to install it, they should know they can move the shifter to the left and use is to shift up or down.
Not if you are retrofitting it to a truck that didn't have one from factory.

raygun9

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has done this. Also, @Draid what does your dash look like now? Did you swap out the knob for a G/T style selector that just does the 2x 4x etc options... I've been trying to find one of these for awhile to do it myself.

Tdanser

Reaction score
It is possible. I've done it. 2021 1500 4x4 longhorn. Looks and works great.
Can we get some more info on this?? What parts are needed? What wires have to be switched? obviously you’ll need a center console and shifter, and the 4x4 switch panel without the knob…but anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread