5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone swap a shifter?

IRON_MAN

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum. I'm looking at buying a 2022 Ram to replace my totaled Chevy (Ram is the only dealer actually willing to discount their trucks right now)

I have a good deal lined up on a Laramie. Only thing that I was wondering is if it would be possible to swap the GT shifter into a Dial shifter laramie? I really like the paddle shifters but I can only afford the base Laramie. The GT model has way too many options driving the price up

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's been asked a few times on here and no one has successfully done it yet.

Draid

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum. I'm looking at buying a 2022 Ram to replace my totaled Chevy (Ram is the only dealer actually willing to discount their trucks right now)

I have a good deal lined up on a Laramie. Only thing that I was wondering is if it would be possible to swap the GT shifter into a Dial shifter laramie? I really like the paddle shifters but I can only afford the base Laramie. The GT model has way too many options driving the price up
It is possible. I've done it. 2021 1500 4x4 longhorn. Looks and works great.

Attachments

• 20221106_221106.jpg
    20221106_221106.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 321
  • 20221126_164052.jpg
    20221126_164052.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 308

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

If you can't afford the sightly higher payments for a GT, the cost to swap in a GT shifter, steering wheel for paddle shifters and rest that goes along with it, will probably be price prohibitive for you as well

IRON_MAN

Reaction score
I knew someone was going to say this eventually :cautious:

Let me rephrase. It's not that I can't AFFORD it. I could. How much difference in payment do you really think it would be? If I couldn't afford the extra 100ish more a month I shouldn't be buying a truck this expensive in the first place. That being said why the hell would I buy a truck with 10k in options of crap I don't want just to get a shifter that I could buy for 1,000-2,000 bucks tops?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I knew someone was going to say this eventually :cautious:

Let me rephrase. It's not that I can't AFFORD it. I could. How much difference in payment do you really think it would be? If I couldn't afford the extra 100ish more a month I shouldn't be buying a truck this expensive in the first place. That being said why the hell would I buy a truck with 10k in options of crap I don't want just to get a shifter that I could buy for 1,000-2,000 bucks tops?
You literally said you could only afford the base Laramie in your first comment

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You literally said you could only afford the base Laramie in your first comment
Also GT package is only $3,500 if I recall.

OP also asks about the paddle shifters along with GT shifter (center console?)
It's going to be awfully close to what the GT package would come to if not more. I think the paddles are attached to the steering wheel? Not sure how they wire in I have only seen people do the center console swap.

Better off doing a custom order and getting what he wants if he needs to pick and choose what options he wants imo.

IRON_MAN

Reaction score
GT Package cannot be added without adding sport package Laramie level 1 and one other package I believe. The MSRP jumps up about 10k on the configuration as soon as you add every option it makes you add after clicking GT Package

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GT Package cannot be added without adding sport package Laramie level 1 and one other package I believe. The MSRP jumps up about 10k on the configuration as soon as you add every option it makes you add after clicking GT Package
yes your right you have to take either sport or night edition package and then you have to take either laramie level 1 or 2 package....
a base laramie is about 57000$ and a base laramie GT with the less expensive mandatory package is about 65000$ ,add the taxe and yes your at 10k difference

Last edited:

Draid

Reaction score
does all the functions work? (manual shifting etc..)? or just the gears limit works ?
All functions work on shifter except + and _ gear adj. I like it better on my steering wheel and was unsure it I could adjust from steering wheel and shifter. So I stopped there. May return to the delimma may not.

Draid

Reaction score
Wow! Did it require any programming or just buying the appropriate parts/wiring?
Just parts and wiring. It did require some custom work like the mount in my console and moving a couple of pins in the harness but nothing too bad.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Did it require any programming or just buying the appropriate parts/wiring?
if you want the shifter for park drive reverse no, but if you want all the fonctions to work, like being able to shift with it, then you would need other modules and yes programming, i dont think anyone ever done it (making it be able to shift gears)

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All functions work on shifter except + and _ gear adj. I like it better on my steering wheel and was unsure it I could adjust from steering wheel and shifter. So I stopped there. May return to the delimma may not.
so you can use it to park drive reverse neutral but cant shift with it ? is it not the whole purpase of a shifter other then the better look.

i wonder what else would be requiere to actually make it 100% work

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you actually use the paddle shifters as paddle shifters, or are they basically just act as gear limiter like the factory gear limiter buttons

Draid

Reaction score
Can you actually use the paddle shifters as paddle shifters, or are they basically just act as gear limiter like the factory gear limiter buttons
I'm unsure. I don't have the paddles. Just the buttons on the steering wheel and the shifter in the console.

Users who are viewing this thread