5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone running Falken Wildpeak HT/02's?

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Hi all,

My OEM Duelers are about shot at 29k miles and I'm shopping for some new tires. My rig is a pavement queen, so I don't really need an A/T tire. Ergo, I'm mainly looking at the following options: Michelin Defender LTX, Continental TerrainContact H/T, and Falken Wildpeak HT/02. I can find plenty of articles+testimonials+review videos on the Defenders and Contis, but hardly anything at all about the Wildpeaks. Does anyone here run them? If so, what is your opinion of them?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You will not go wrong with the Defenders...excellent tires. Doesn't have that "aggressive" appearance like others, but a far better tire than the Falken.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Agree the Defenders are great - have them on my wife's GC. Just looking for something different so I'll likely go with the Contis. I just find it odd there's very little info out on the interwebs regarding the Falkens.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agree the Defenders are great - have them on my wife's GC. Just looking for something different so I'll likely go with the Contis. I just find it odd there's very little info out on the interwebs regarding the Falkens.
Curious...if the Defender's on your wife's vehicle are great...why buy Contis' for your RAM:unsure:

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
It's odd - I like the way the Defenders look on the GC (and your rig as well) with a lower profile 265/50/20 sidewall. For my truck I want to go up a size from the stock 275/55/20 to 275/60/20 in order to fill out the wheel wells a bit more like the DS trucks. I've seen the Defenders in this size on a DS and I don't think they look quite as good with a larger sidewall. Kind of "bubbly", or something.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Just bought michelin defender ltx m/s for my wife's Wrangler 4xe today. 232 each at discount tire. The wrangler 20's are Same size as the Ram. I did a lot of research and they seem to be the best overall all season highway tire out there. Lots of people report getting 80k miles out of a set. The jeep came with garbage bridgestones. They were so bad we couldn't drive a wrangler in an inch of snow without feeling like death was immenent.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's odd - I like the way the Defenders look on the GC (and your rig as well) with a lower profile 265/50/20 sidewall. For my truck I want to go up a size from the stock 275/55/20 to 275/60/20 in order to fill out the wheel wells a bit more like the DS trucks. I've seen the Defenders in this size on a DS and I don't think they look quite as good with a larger sidewall. Kind of "bubbly", or something.
Don't buy a tire for looks. Buy for quality, safety, and capabilities ;)

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I considered those Pirellis at first and maybe still will. They are super lightweight, which can be good or bad I guess.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't tow - just some payload in the bed now and again.
Going to be a million choices and options and differnet ways cars\trucks are driven and on what kind of ground.

Personally if you arent towing and putting extreme weight on the truck regular tires are fine vs LT tires.

If you are only driving on paved roads (even with snow) you don't need AT tires.

All season tires are generally going to ride much much better then AT tires and provide much better traction on the road (and cheaper).

If you have really bad winters, and warm summers getting all seasons for 3 seasons, and changing to winters (with or without studs) is best.
If you have mild winters all seasons are fine

With all that said personally I like Pierlli all seasons as I don't need LT tires, and they provide decent traction during the winter. I have had Bridgestone and Pirelli snow tires in the past and they have been wonderful, but you do need to change them out in the spring or you will just destroy them because they are a much softer tire not made for hot summers and with the winters the past 5 years not being that extreme all seasons have worked fine for me on all my vehicles.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had terrain contact hts 275 60 20 and they were awesome. quiet and smooth, great in rain and snow. just put on 275 65 20 Pirelli all terrain plus, and I hate em. the ride great, but can't stand the noise, and super heavy and killed mpg, accelleration, and braking. love the way the look. but honestly, im over it after a few weeks. might go back to terraincontact ht or try Pirelli AS plus 3. put them on my gc and mom's mdx and they are really nice. going back to 275 60 20 too. don't need the extra weight

Lungs414

Reaction score
I agree, but fwiw, the Contis scored higher than the Defenders in TireRack's testing:

FWIW Its not just the tire but the company. I have Contis on my Tesla. They are one of the higher end models. The fronts were completely shot after 12500 miles, 50K warranty. Failed NYS inspection. I contacted them about it and what a song and dance to get any warranty from them. Started the process Monday after Thanksgiving, no joke just got the check yesterday. Countless emails, phone calls and shipping them back to them. Wound up getting $420 back from $600. In the end I got money but was like trying to get water from a rock.
Maybe all companies the same, but took a lot of effort.

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Ran Wildpeaks on my 2020 Laramie Night Edition after the 22" Goodyears wore out at 22000 miles. They were quiet and nothing noteable about them at 48000 miles. They were about half wore out maybe. Son-in-law now has that Ram and I have a 2023 Laramie Night Edition with the "Off Road Package" and the Wildpeaks are standard issue with these options. They have performed as advertised in Minnesota in all seasons. I'll stick with them. The 22" ride well, not noisey, and should go 40000 miles but I don't know what they are rated for. Sidewall reads 285/45R22 11-4-H AT3WA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread