5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone lifted a 2WD (4x2) ??

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Just picked up a new 2021 Laramie 5.7 (not etorque) 4x2 crew cab night edition (3.92 gears) and looking to lift it
(strictly a "looks" thing for me - no off roading) looking for other 4x2 lifted trucks to see what kit you went with,
I'd prefer something in the 3.5" to 6 inch lift range and I'm wanting to run 35's

Lots of lifted 4x4's here but not seeing anything come up when searching for lifted 4x2

Thanks!

2WD is somewhat restricted. You can’t run the BDS / zone 4 and 6 inch lifts as it’s stated for 4WD only (there was someone on the forum who had a shop install it for him, but they didn’t use all the parts and don’t think many shops would work with you like that).

If you want to maintain ride quality to some amount (35s will affect that no matter what). Some options would be mopar + ORP springs / 1.5 inch puck to level it, CST 4 inch 2WD lift or the eibach kit to consider

That is what I'm trying to find out - I sent a message to MaxTrac, still waiting for answer

4WD lift kits will work with 5th gen 2WDs. I have a 6 inch lift on my 2WD. Only difference is the front differential which you don’t use the components.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...am-1500-tis-544bm-fabtech-suspension-lift-6in
This is yours in the CO gallery, and the Fabtech fit? Nice.

I actually emailed them this weekend about this exact thing, to see if they could confirm that 4WD kits will fit on RWD 5th gen Rams, and am waiting on a response from their suspension team.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a a RL SST 3.5, but if the 4WD lifts are an option, the Zone 4" is much more attractive to me. I sent Zone an email too, but I don't know if they will confirm.. The only "official" comment I've seen from them is on Instagram, over a year ago - someone asked if their new Ram kits would fit 2WD, since they were basically the same, and the comment was "They were designed for 4WD, and they haven't test fit them for RWD"

This is yours in the CO gallery, and the Fabtech fit? Nice.

I actually emailed them this weekend about this exact thing, to see if they could confirm that 4WD kits will fit on RWD 5th gen Rams, and am waiting on a response from their suspension team.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a a RL SST 3.5, but if the 4WD lifts are an option, the Zone 4" is much more attractive to me. I sent Zone an email too, but I don't know if they will confirm.. The only "official" comment I've seen from them is on Instagram, over a year ago - someone asked if their new Ram kits would fit 2WD, since they were basically the same, and the comment was "They were designed for 4WD, and they haven't test fit them for RWD"
It should fit just fine. As someone else said earlier in the thread, the only difference will be no front differential drop in the 2wd. You'll still cut into the front crossmember and install the pieces from the lift there to drop the lower control arms. The combination of that and the new knuckles will keep the geometry correct and the strut/springs will give you the lift. Everything in the rear will be the same between a 2wd and 4wd truck.

Almost every kit that I've seen will fit both 4WD & 2WD applications for the DT Ram. There will be some components on the larger kits with relocation parts you won't need to use.

Sometimes if sold by a vendor, like say American Trucks, they sometimes misclassify them as 4WD only. But when you go to the manufacturers site, you will find that kit states 2WD & 4WD applications.

It should fit just fine. As someone else said earlier in the thread, the only difference will be no front differential drop in the 2wd. You'll still cut into the front crossmember and install the pieces from the lift there to drop the lower control arms. The combination of that and the new knuckles will keep the geometry correct and the strut/springs will give you the lift. Everything in the rear will be the same between a 2wd and 4wd truck.
Thanks, I know basically nothing about the mechanics of it, so I really appreciate the input of someone much more knowledgeable! Zone emailed back with the standard “sorry, we only make kits for 4WD applications”. I’d imagine they have to say that, because they only warranty them for use on 4WD trucks, since that’s what they’ve been tested on. I did find someone on a 5th gen FB group who had a 6” Zone put on his 2020 2WD, so that confirmed it absolutely can be done with that kit. I just need to find a shop here that I trust.

thanks again for the info

Thanks, I know basically nothing about the mechanics of it, so I really appreciate the input of someone much more knowledgeable! Zone emailed back with the standard “sorry, we only make kits for 4WD applications”. I’d imagine they have to say that, because they only warranty them for use on 4WD trucks, since that’s what they’ve been tested on. I did find someone on a 5th gen FB group who had a 6” Zone put on his 2020 2WD, so that confirmed it absolutely can be done with that kit. I just need to find a shop here that I trust.

thanks again for the info
That's the important part, finding a reputable shop that will do the work right so you don't have issues later.

2wd drive truck?? I had one b4 but I had to get rid of it, I live in Canada and it was not ideal, I would get stuck in a puddle, do u live in a place that does not snow

They will deff work… just read all the above info so you know more about how these lifts work and when you call feel the people out and u will quickly know if you have someone who knows what they are talking about or not. Any shop that knows anything about lifts will know that they will work and shouldn’t have an issue doing it. It’s not doing anything risky you just are not using some of the parts is all. Same exact thing tho so I don’t see why someone wouldn’t. Maybe big shops won’t but any small shop who wants business should or easily find a local mechanic or something to do it…

I just put a 4in lift on my 2wd. Actually on the way with my wife to pick it up now. So stoked!! Looks really good!! I wanted to do 6in with 37s but opted for a 4in with 35s. Below is the only pic I got. Will post more

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 20
4WD lift kits will work with 5th gen 2WDs. I have a 6 inch lift on my 2WD. Only difference is the front differential which you don’t use the components.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...am-1500-tis-544bm-fabtech-suspension-lift-6in
I know this is an old thread but hoping for a reply. Am going through hell right now trying to figure out my lift for my 2020 2WD 1500.... Bought the rough country 6in suspension lift with wheels and tires. I'm trying to figure out if their Vertex Coilovers that are specified on their site as 4WD will work with the lift kit that i've already purchased.

Have talked to many ppl at RC and some have said no and others have said it is possible to make it work and they knew of others that have done it.

Has anyone else been in my situation at all or something similar? They've mentioned the 4WD Coilovers could cause strain on the ball joints or other components and that the front end would ride a bit higher than its supposed to. Thoughts anyone?

I know this is an old thread but hoping for a reply. Am going through hell right now trying to figure out my lift for my 2020 2WD 1500.... Bought the rough country 6in suspension lift with wheels and tires. I'm trying to figure out if their Vertex Coilovers that are specified on their site as 4WD will work with the lift kit that i've already purchased.

Have talked to many ppl at RC and some have said no and others have said it is possible to make it work and they knew of others that have done it.

Has anyone else been in my situation at all or something similar? They've mentioned the 4WD Coilovers could cause strain on the ball joints or other components and that the front end would ride a bit higher than its supposed to. Thoughts anyone?

Mechanically it should fit perfect, there is no difference with the two wheel drive versus four wheel drive in that regard.

The only point that could make sense is the springs are designed for a certain weight, since you don't the transfer case and shafts in the front, it is a little bit lighter, so the front maybe slightly higher than design.

They're probably telling you that because of liability concerns, maybe it was rated as four-wheel drive and they don't want to take any liability. But again, mechanically there should be no issue.

Mechanically it should fit perfect, there is no difference with the two wheel drive versus four wheel drive in that regard.

The only point that could make sense is the springs are designed for a certain weight, since you don't the transfer case and shafts in the front, it is a little bit lighter, so the front and maybe slightly higher than design.

They're probably telling you that because of liability concerns, maybe it was rated as four-wheel drive and they don't want to take any liability. But again, mechanically there should be no issue.
They did mention weight, and they also said that since it's a Hemi it not much lighter than a 4x4 would be. I just really dont want to spend $2400 on 4WD specific coilovers and either cause issues with other suspension parts or have it not fit at all. You and the other main guy i've spoken to on this forum about this seem to think there would be no issues with the 4WD specific Coilovers going on a 2WD truck.

They did mention weight, and they also said that since it's a Hemi it not much lighter than a 4x4 would be. I just really dont want to spend $2400 on 4WD specific coilovers and either cause issues with other suspension parts or have it not fit at all. You and the other main guy i've spoken to on this forum about this seem to think there would be no issues with the 4WD specific Coilovers going on a 2WD truck.

Mechanically, there should be no issue, it's probably about the slight difference in ride height due to weight which can affect the front angle slightly, but again I doubt it's very much.

What I would do is speak to somebody at a good local suspension shop that does lifts like this, ask for their opinion and see what they say, they probably done millions of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back