5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone lifted a 2WD (4x2) ??

Mechanically, there should be no issue, it's probably about the slight difference in ride height due to weight which can affect the front angle slightly, but again I doubt it's very much.

What I would do is speak to somebody at a good local suspension shop that does lifts like this, ask for their opinion and see what they say, they probably done millions of them.
Talked to one of the reputable installers in my area and he said he was 50/50 on it. He deff didn't seem 100% positive but maybe I need to make a few more calls.

Talked to one of the reputable installers in my area and he said he was 50/50 on it. He deff didn't seem 100% positive but maybe I need to make a few more calls.

They're the ones who would know, I would call maybe another shop or two just to be sure.

What in particular is the 50/50 on?

They're the ones who would know, I would call maybe another shop or two just to be sure.

What in particular is the 50/50 on?
He just seemed to be unsure of the stress it may cause on the ball joints or other parts down there that could be stressed since the 4WD coilovers may cause the front to ride a tad higher than usual. He said if it was his truck he'd be 60/40 on it with the 60 being that he wouldn't do it with the 4WD coilovers.

Again, this could just be a guy trying to cover his *** a bit incase i do go for it and it doesnt work out. But most people on here seem to think itll be fine.

He just seemed to be unsure of the stress it may cause on the ball joints or other parts down there that could be stressed since the 4WD coilovers may cause the front to ride a tad higher than usual. He said if it was his truck he'd be 60/40 on it with the 60 being that he wouldn't do it with the 4WD coilovers.

Again, this could just be a guy trying to cover his *** a bit incase i do go for it and it doesnt work out. But most people on here seem to think itll be fine.

Absolutely. Also, are they adjustable coil overs? If so, can you just adjust them down slightly?

As for the weight, a typical 1500 transfer case is probably like 100 - 150 lbs, the shafts another 50 or so? A typical sized American in your passenger seat will likely negate the weight difference with a 4WD.

Absolutely. Also, are they adjustable coil overs? If so, can you just adjust them down slightly?

As for the weight, a typical 1500 transfer case is probably like 100 - 150 lbs, the shafts another 50 or so? A typical sized American in your passenger seat will likely negate the weight difference with a 4WD.
I believe they are adjustable because the guy from Rough Country said to let him know if i order the 4WD version so he can throw in a coilover adjustment wrench that they sell.

i've also heard mention that the crossmember needs to be cut for 4WD to allow clearance for the diff. Is that something that could cause issue since they wouldn't need to cut the crossmember in my truck.

i've also heard mention that the crossmember needs to be cut for 4WD to allow clearance for the diff. Is that something that could cause issue since they wouldn't need to cut the crossmember in my truck.

I think the reason for that is to lower the front transfer case for better CV axle alignment, but since you don't have one it shouldn't be an issue. However, anything that drops the suspension should also be able to do with a 2WD. But would definitely do some more research before you purchase. Try a couple of more shops.

I believe they are adjustable because the guy from Rough Country said to let him know if i order the 4WD version so he can throw in a coilover adjustment wrench that they sell.

Cool, then you should be able to lower the pre-load and lower the height to compensate a bit.

I think the reason for that is to lower the front transfer case for better CV axle alignment, but since you don't have one it shouldn't be an issue. However, anything that drops the suspension should also be able to do with a 2WD. But would definitely do some more research before you purchase. Try a couple of more shops.
ya i think i need to check with a few more installers. if not... ill just return the kit and get the Maxtrac kit with coilovers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back