5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone lifted a 2WD (4x2) ??

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Just picked up a new 2021 Laramie 5.7 (not etorque) 4x2 crew cab night edition (3.92 gears) and looking to lift it
(strictly a "looks" thing for me - no off roading) looking for other 4x2 lifted trucks to see what kit you went with,
I'd prefer something in the 3.5" to 6 inch lift range and I'm wanting to run 35's

Lots of lifted 4x4's here but not seeing anything come up when searching for lifted 4x2

Thanks!

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
2WD is somewhat restricted. You can’t run the BDS / zone 4 and 6 inch lifts as it’s stated for 4WD only (there was someone on the forum who had a shop install it for him, but they didn’t use all the parts and don’t think many shops would work with you like that).

If you want to maintain ride quality to some amount (35s will affect that no matter what). Some options would be mopar + ORP springs / 1.5 inch puck to level it, CST 4 inch 2WD lift or the eibach kit to consider

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
That is what I'm trying to find out - I sent a message to MaxTrac, still waiting for answer

Brunzca

Reaction score
4WD lift kits will work with 5th gen 2WDs. I have a 6 inch lift on my 2WD. Only difference is the front differential which you don’t use the components.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...am-1500-tis-544bm-fabtech-suspension-lift-6in
This is yours in the CO gallery, and the Fabtech fit? Nice.

I actually emailed them this weekend about this exact thing, to see if they could confirm that 4WD kits will fit on RWD 5th gen Rams, and am waiting on a response from their suspension team.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a a RL SST 3.5, but if the 4WD lifts are an option, the Zone 4" is much more attractive to me. I sent Zone an email too, but I don't know if they will confirm.. The only "official" comment I've seen from them is on Instagram, over a year ago - someone asked if their new Ram kits would fit 2WD, since they were basically the same, and the comment was "They were designed for 4WD, and they haven't test fit them for RWD"

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is yours in the CO gallery, and the Fabtech fit? Nice.

I actually emailed them this weekend about this exact thing, to see if they could confirm that 4WD kits will fit on RWD 5th gen Rams, and am waiting on a response from their suspension team.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a a RL SST 3.5, but if the 4WD lifts are an option, the Zone 4" is much more attractive to me. I sent Zone an email too, but I don't know if they will confirm.. The only "official" comment I've seen from them is on Instagram, over a year ago - someone asked if their new Ram kits would fit 2WD, since they were basically the same, and the comment was "They were designed for 4WD, and they haven't test fit them for RWD"
It should fit just fine. As someone else said earlier in the thread, the only difference will be no front differential drop in the 2wd. You'll still cut into the front crossmember and install the pieces from the lift there to drop the lower control arms. The combination of that and the new knuckles will keep the geometry correct and the strut/springs will give you the lift. Everything in the rear will be the same between a 2wd and 4wd truck.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Almost every kit that I've seen will fit both 4WD & 2WD applications for the DT Ram. There will be some components on the larger kits with relocation parts you won't need to use.

Sometimes if sold by a vendor, like say American Trucks, they sometimes misclassify them as 4WD only. But when you go to the manufacturers site, you will find that kit states 2WD & 4WD applications.

Brunzca

Reaction score
It should fit just fine. As someone else said earlier in the thread, the only difference will be no front differential drop in the 2wd. You'll still cut into the front crossmember and install the pieces from the lift there to drop the lower control arms. The combination of that and the new knuckles will keep the geometry correct and the strut/springs will give you the lift. Everything in the rear will be the same between a 2wd and 4wd truck.
Thanks, I know basically nothing about the mechanics of it, so I really appreciate the input of someone much more knowledgeable! Zone emailed back with the standard “sorry, we only make kits for 4WD applications”. I’d imagine they have to say that, because they only warranty them for use on 4WD trucks, since that’s what they’ve been tested on. I did find someone on a 5th gen FB group who had a 6” Zone put on his 2020 2WD, so that confirmed it absolutely can be done with that kit. I just need to find a shop here that I trust.

thanks again for the info

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I know basically nothing about the mechanics of it, so I really appreciate the input of someone much more knowledgeable! Zone emailed back with the standard “sorry, we only make kits for 4WD applications”. I’d imagine they have to say that, because they only warranty them for use on 4WD trucks, since that’s what they’ve been tested on. I did find someone on a 5th gen FB group who had a 6” Zone put on his 2020 2WD, so that confirmed it absolutely can be done with that kit. I just need to find a shop here that I trust.

thanks again for the info
That's the important part, finding a reputable shop that will do the work right so you don't have issues later.

905sparky

Reaction score
2wd drive truck?? I had one b4 but I had to get rid of it, I live in Canada and it was not ideal, I would get stuck in a puddle, do u live in a place that does not snow

Users who are viewing this thread