5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know what kind of bolt this is

Code2medic

Reaction score
I’m at a lose something as simple as needing to loosen on bolt turns into why did they use this and what the hell is it moment

front passenger seat bolt looks like a torque bit so what’s the trick or tool to remove it and size if anyone knows. never seen a seat bolt like that and we just need to loosen it to get our mounts attached

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 108

Quietpeen

Reaction score
that is an external torx bolt. I’m assuming it is your front seat bolt?

Quietpeen

Reaction score
be cautious, the design will make you think that the socket will engage like a boss, turns out it engages like a temp worker and then next thing you know your knuckle is in immense pain and bleeding from trying to torque this ****ing bolt and then a week later your finger is still showing signs of bruising.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I had to go buy an E12 female socket to install seat jackers. Literature says to torque them to 27 ftlbs, but when I removed mine they felt like they had been installed with a 6 foot breaker bar and I saw no evidence of thread locker compound.

61dzvVgsBpL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just go buy an etorx socket set. Got mine from Harbor Freight when I went to install my seat jackers. Always better to get the right tool.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
External Torx has more grip strength than internal for the same bolt size, and for rapid assembly the tool holds bolt head in line better than a conventional hex. For related reasons, it also makes really bad cross-threading possible if the assembler gets sloppy. 🤷‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't know this existed... Guess I have another set of tools to buy for the "just in case" torque, security torx, now etorx... Maybe etorque next?
Edit: even more annoying, there is etorx and etorx+ and they don't appear to be interchangeable.
Is the picture e12 or e12+?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know this existed... Guess I have another set of tools to buy for the "just in case" torque, security torx, now etorx... Maybe etorque next?
Edit: even more annoying, there is etorx and etorx+ and they don't appear to be interchangeable.
Is the picture e12 or e12+?
Not the +

Code2medic

Reaction score
As mentioned above, it's an E-Torx.

I just checked my seat bolt. It's an E12 size.
I didn’t even bother with them last night after seeing that ended up finding out what it was and grabbing sockets for it. Go figure never knew there were e torx sockets. I mean dam why do they fix **** that isn’t broken

What should have been a simple 30 second job per vehicle turned into more time wasted driving the hr to harbor freight.

Oh and fyi I swear those things were torqued down to 200lbs or more Jesus

Thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Code2medic

Reaction score
Just go buy an etorx socket set. Got mine from Harbor Freight when I went to install my seat jackers. Always better to get the right tool.
That’s were I grabbed them from the icon ones. All that for a dam bolt lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn’t even bother with them last night after seeing that ended up finding out what it was and grabbing sockets for it. Go figure never knew there were e torx sockets. I mean dam why do they fix **** that isn’t broken

Thanks for the replies
Likely harder to round off etorx then regular hex heads?
Seems to be more of an import thing, just FCA screwing around with Ram if I had to guess.
We are going to be flipping over OEM cup holders soon and seeing Fiat as the brand.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What should have been a simple 30 second job per vehicle turned into more time wasted driving the hr to harbor freight.

Thanks for the replies

Wait till you go after the rear seat bolts...

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Are they by any chance almost-round three lobe self-tappers? That's another trend in rapid assembly, the resulting threads are a standard size but you save a step.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Likely harder to round off etorx then regular hex heads?
Seems to be more of an import thing, just FCA screwing around with Ram if I had to guess.
We are going to be flipping over OEM cup holders soon and seeing Fiat as the brand.

I don't know about other brands, but Audi has been using E-Torx for what seems like forever.

Users who are viewing this thread