5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Because I'm out of town I'm thinking I'd rather have a nationwide company, Safelite in this case, do the job in case I run into any issues. Did you use a local company or a national?
I have used Safelight a couple times in the past.
from the dreaded stone chips from the chip seal roads here in Indiana. They do a good job in my opinion even used non oem and never had a problem.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Safelight a couple times in the past.
from the dreaded stone chips from the chip seal roads here in Indiana. They do a good job in my opinion even used non oem and never had a problem.
I had that windshield installed in June of 2022...Safelite's afterrnarket brand. They did a great job and I've had no issues, even with the ACC, etc, and I feel lucky that my installer was a 21-year veteran of the industry. Of course, however, that windshield got a star crack in it about a year ago...it's not spreading and is out of my view so it stays until the next rock comes flyin.

FloridaSun

Reaction score
I had the Glass Doctor replace my front windshield Monday. They use RAM OEM Glass...has the RAM logo on right. Insurance covered it. They came to house and done with 45 minutes.

Reaction score
So this happened yesterday on our drive from Columbus OH to Hilton Head, SC. So the glass company says they would normally use OEM glass, even stated there would be a RAM logo like the stock unit. BUT, there is a nationwide backorder (big surprise), and would I accept an aftermarket brand. Concern is that this truck has a bunch of electronic crap (sensors, etc) on the windshield.

Anyone been faced with replacement yet? Or, anyone know anything about this industry? Any advice would be appreciated

BTW...its a 2019 1500 DT Laramie.
i changed over 20 windshields and no problems with the aftermarket windshields everythink work's and fit perfect (y)(y)

FloridaSun

Reaction score
I called Glass Doctor last Thursday (3.21.24) mid-day and they schedule my windshield for replacement for this past Monday (3.25.24). Said in stock no inventory issues and sent someone right out. I thought it was strange that I could get an appointment that soon (1 1/2 days showed up at 9am first appointment)...they must not be busy.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i changed over 20 windshields and no problems with the aftermarket windshields everythink work's and fit perfect (y)(y)
I had that windshield installed in June of 2022...Safelite's aftermarket brand. They did a great job and I've had no issues, even with the ACC, etc, and I feel lucky that my installer was a 21-year veteran of the industry. Of course, that windshield got a star crack in it about a year ago but it's not spreading and is out of my view so it stays until the next rock comes flyin.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
Please tell us if you had and out of pocket cost or was insurance covering the entire windshield. I have a tiny chip at the bottom of the glass. I checked with Safelight in West Houston and the total without insurance is $980.00. That is my cost. My insurance deductible is $975.00 So Tennessee is ~1/3 cheaper. If so this is incredible. I know with the Limited with all options, you must have OEM glass. Behind the rear view mirror are many features and the glass is designed for it. is your also OEM and only $632.00 installed? Thank you for this big education.
And a couple of years later… I took a rock at the NM/TX line that started a slow moving crack. Wasn’t my highest priority in getting life started in north Houston area. After getting new progressive insurance in TX, I received a $45 refund. When I asked my agent, was told they decided to waive the price hike for the windshield replacement done on second car 3 years ago. I asked more questions and turns out all claims follow YOU, not your vehicle, for 7 years. TX policies are only 6 mo, so that refund meant I was paying $90/yr more or $630 over the 7 yr. Shopping for non-OEM, I’m paying $675 for a non-claim replacement. So pay now or pay later, with Insurance you’re always gonna pay.

Users who are viewing this thread