5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone go 1500 to 2500?

Adkram

Reaction score
In NY and just realized laws changed allowing 2500s on parkways and expressways which i need to use. Currently have a Limited and waiting for a 25 Tungsten order. I dont really need the extra hauling capacity of the 2500 day to day but I like the size and durability etc and would love the option to tow/haul more. Question is whether any of you have made the transition 1500 to 2500 and liked it, regretted it or otherwise.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In NY and just realized laws changed allowing 2500s on parkways and expressways which i need to use. Currently have a Limited and waiting for a 25 Tungsten order. I dont really need the extra hauling capacity of the 2500 day to day but I like the size and durability etc and would love the option to tow/haul more. Question is whether any of you have made the transition 1500 to 2500 and liked it, regretted it or otherwise.
You might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum. This is the 5th Gen 1500 Rams site.

Arth

Reaction score
If you don't need it don't get it.

2500 will never ride like a 1500 and I feel like those who don't really need the 2500 don't realize that. Ignore all the talk that 2500s ride great. They do compared to older 2500s but not current 1500s.

More over if you get the diesel it needs to be worked. Lots of Cummins owners have emissions issues because the truck isn't being worked.

I have gone from a 21 1500 to 2500 and I am now in a 24 3500. I have a 36ft trailer that I pull hence my need.

scully

Reaction score
I went from a 2006 2500 quad cab 4x4 to a 2023 rebel 1500 4x4 .....both 5.7. Hemi ......and i am thrilled with the new truck !!!!!!!!.....I now have @18,000 miles on it ....200,000 on the 2006 ....one of the biggest differences is ofcourse the ride quality....the rebel is significantly better !!!

CobraKai

Reaction score
I am in upstate NY and went from 2020 Ram 1500 Limited to 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie loaded(wanted a front bench seat for family) to 2023 Ram 1500 TRX and now back in 2024 Ram 1500 Limited. I will say as far as ride goes if you dont haul a lot day to day the 1500 limited and new Tungsten is going to ride waaaay smoother with the air suspension. We have pot holes all over the 1500 soaks them up much better 2500 felt like riding on plywood unless you're towing.. Also the 2500 was a PIA driving around tight spaces and parking lots, wider turning radius. I would stick with a 1500 with the air suspensions never had an issue with them in the cold here either. just my opinion from driving those over the last couple years.. Was going to order a tungsten but got tired of waiting for colors and options to open up..

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks for years before I got my first RAM 1500.

Currently, I have a '21 1500 Limited with EcoDiesel.

Last weekend, I test drove a '24 2500 Limited with Cummins. Basically, as close to my current truck as it could be, except 2500 and Cummins. 4-corner air suspension in my 1500 vs rear self-leveling air suspension in the 2500.

It drove nicely. I liked it just fine. But, it did not make me want it even enough to make the dealer a lowball offer.

As I drove away in my EcoDiesel, I realized that I like my 1500 more than I liked that 2500. I like the way my ED drives better. The driver's seat is more comfortable (to me). And, of course, it's not such a bus to turn around or park.

The driver's seat thing was a surprise to me. The 2500 driver's seat wouldn't lower down as close to the floor as my 1500 seat does. Because of a past motorcycle accident, I am more comfortable when I drive if my right knee is less bent and my leg is able to be more out in front of me, rather than down below me. The 2500 was definitely not as comfortable for me, because of that.

I did like the Uconnect 5 in the 2500. In particular, I connected my iPhone to it, so I could see how the Wireless CarPlay worked. That was nice. Being able to have Google Maps or Waze in full screen mode on that 12" screen was nice. I use a USB dongle adapter thing in my 1500 to have Wireless CarPlay, but it won't do any CarPlay apps in full screen mode. And, I guess the newer 1500s have the same thing as the 2500, so it's not really a reason to buy the 2500.

I'm holding out for a RamCharger, but it is tempting to think about getting a new 1500 with the SST HO in the meantime... I don't want a first year RamCharger. Maybe not even a second year model. So, a new truck soon would give me probably 3 years of service before I wanted to trade it. Hmmmm.....

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't need the extra hauling capacity, moving to a 2500 will only be a negative. There will be nothing better about it. They cost more, weigh more and will get worse fuel economy and they will ride rougher.

PetePA

Reaction score
I'm holding out for a RamCharger, but it is tempting to think about getting a new 1500 with the SST HO in the meantime... I don't want a first year RamCharger. Maybe not even a second year model. So, a new truck soon would give me probably 3 years of service before I wanted to trade it. Hmmmm.....
Sounds like you just convinced yourself to get a 2025 Limited or Tungsten :ROFLMAO:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't need the extra hauling capacity, moving to a 2500 will only be a negative. There will be nothing better about it. They cost more, weigh more and will get worse fuel economy and they will ride rougher.

Generally, fair points.

But, let's not forget, the exact same thing applies to a WHOLE lot of 1500/150 truck owners who could be driving less expensive, lighter, better fuel economy, better riding/driving Tacomas or Rangers, or maybe even Mavericks.

There is something about driving a bigger truck that has its own appeal.

If the RAM 2500 had the Cummins HO with a decent transmission (not that Aisin slushbox they use the in the 3500), newer-style RamBoxes, a Multi-Function tailgate, and a driver's seat that would adjust lower, I would SERIOUSLY consider changing to one. Heavier, more expensive to maintain, more expensive to drive, more expensive to insure, and even a little (but only a little, though!) rougher ride and all.

I don't NEED the towing or the extra room. But, I wouldn't mind the extra room, and there is just something about driving a bigger, beefier truck...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you just convinced yourself to get a 2025 Limited or Tungsten :ROFLMAO:

Well... I did just go on ramtrucks.com and search current inventory. According to that site, there is not a single black 1500 Limited with the Midnight package, anywhere in the country. I think there was only 1 Limited with Midnight, period, and it was Pearl White or something like that and its status was "Being Built".

No idea what's up with that. But, I know what I like and I'm very picky. And no reason to change from what I have, which is EXACTLY what I want - except for Uconnect 5 and an SST HO.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned from what I have seen that the RamCharger might have a power tailgate and no option for a Muti-Function Tailgate. If that is the case, I'll be keeping my current truck (or a newer one with MFT) until they do have the MFT for the RamCharger. The MFT is SO much nicer for pretty much any time I'm putting stuff in and out of the back. Pretty much the only time the tailgate is useful to me in the conventional, opened-down position, is when I put my motorcycle in the back (which is not very often), since it's too long to fit with the gate up.

If Stellantis gets rid of the MFT, I will be VERY sad. RamBoxes and an MFT will keep me in a RAM forever (or until they don't offer them).

Users who are viewing this thread