5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else skeptical of the coming EV trucks?

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
I like the idea of a hybrid that would have a generator to charge the batteries if needed for longer trips or those days when you have to run like crazy and do not have time to stop at a supercharger. I live in a rural area and drive approximately 70 miles a day to and from work but every once in a while I have days where I need to drive much further.

BNJMN

Reaction score
Maybe eventually, but I still think it's a long ways off. Electricity isn't free nor clean in this country. It will be very interesting to see how we start creating more power - coal? Ocean wind farms? Solar? Nuclear?

I also think there is a ton of additional tech to come that will continue to lighten the combustion vehicles and make them get better MPG's. and cleaner.

I read as much as I could on Rivian before ordering my Ram, called them and they regurgitated the vague info on their website. All I wanted to know was where the charging stations are in Michigan, and what is the cold weather towing ( I'm a snowmobiler) going to do to my range? I expect that is many decades from being solved.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
One our customers has a Tesla and lives in BC. I asked him about how the car is in the winter especially when is really cold. He says a few days ago he thought he had enough charge to get where he was going but there was a major accident on the highway with a multi hour delay. He says he had to turn his heat off, then the windows frosted completely over and he nearly froze. Eventually got to wherever he was going limping down the highway once the scene was cleared. He says its a great part time summer car but you absolutely need another gasser as well.

One plus of an EV truck is you can have a dirt bike or snowmobile in the back so you always have a ride when the juice runs out!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think as mentioned a plug-in hybrid is the best combination until the battery tech and infrastructure catches up. You have the ability to charge the battery and go full electric for 20-50 miles (depending on the car) before the gas engine has to run, which then both powers the vehicle and charges the battery.

In some cases, you can do a full commute without having the gas engine turn on, but have the flexibility of having a gas engine for longer trips and never have to worry about not making it somewhere. You also get great gas mileage along with long range.

This will make a big dent in national fuel consumption while progressing towards an electric future in a more logical and organic way, instead of proclaiming electric only by 2030-2040 and forcing the industry and population whether they are ready or not.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
In 2019 the average household used 30 kWh/day. Greenies in California now estimate that an electric vehicle charged at home uses 2.9 kWh/day. This is almost a 10% increase.

So with rolling brown outs in summer now, Commifornia cutting off power for fear of burning the state down, wind power freezing, clean burning coal being regulated out of business, nuclear power being disbanded, data centers consuming what power there is to be had, how is the 50 year old power grid system going to handle the 10% load increase?

Oh, yea.... increase rates suddenly to offset the inflated costs of building.

No, no, that's not acceptable. The government will pay for it! Of course this is done through levying higher taxes and then passing it through three more steps of markups and double the regulatory red tape but hey, power bill won't have to go up to pay for it. It will just have to go up to keep pace with inflation from government spending.

Yes indeed. Clean energy. It is going to be a wonderful thing!

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I think as mentioned a plug-in hybrid is the best combination until the battery tech and infrastructure catches up. You have the ability to charge the battery and go full electric for 20-50 miles (depending on the car) before the gas engine has to run, which then both powers the vehicle and charges the battery.

In some cases, you can do a full commute without having the gas engine turn on, but have the flexibility of having a gas engine for longer trips and never have to worry about not making it somewhere. You also get great gas mileage along with long range.

This will make a big dent in national fuel consumption while progressing towards an electric future in a more logical and organic way, instead of proclaiming electric only by 2030-2040 and forcing the industry and population whether they are ready or not.
Yes this. I think a hybrid Eco diesel could do very well. Tow on the weekends, some full electric short commutes during the week.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In 2019 the average household used 30 kWh/day. Greenies in California now estimate that an electric vehicle charged at home uses 2.9 kWh/day. This is almost a 10% increase.

So with rolling brown outs in summer now, Commifornia cutting off power for fear of burning the state down, wind power freezing, clean burning coal being regulated out of business, nuclear power being disbanded, data centers consuming what power there is to be had, how is the 50 year old power grid system going to handle the 10% load increase?

Oh, yea.... increase rates suddenly to offset the inflated costs of building.

No, no, that's not acceptable. The government will pay for it! Of course this is done through levying higher taxes and then passing it through three more steps of markups and double the regulatory red tape but hey, power bill won't have to go up to pay for it. It will just have to go up to keep pace with inflation from government spending.

Yes indeed. Clean energy. It is going to be a wonderful thing!
That sounds about right

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes this. I think a hybrid Eco diesel could do very well. Tow on the weekends, some full electric short commutes during the week.
It’s funny you mention that. The manager of the dealership I bought my last truck from was mentioning that Stellantis was going to have hybrid diesels before going full electric with trucks. I think he’s full of crap, but it would be nice if that was a reality.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I’ll own an EV before I ever park another diesel in my driveway.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have their place but I think they’ll quite a ways away. The infrastructure just isn’t there yet to get the bulk of folks onboard to make the switch. The lack of range also isn’t there. I can understand going EV if your mostly a city driver but the laughable range of all these advertised EV trucks especially when towing is laughable at best. I’m not interested at least for a few years just wouldn’t work for me I can imagine getting the phone call that I need to be up let’s say in Rhode Island for the next job in a few days from Florida and having to leave even earlier to worry and stress myself over getting my EV truck up their versus now I might leave two days early to make the commute and have plenty of time to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You missed my jest. Every time there’s a hurricane (the example you used), all of the gas stations go dry because they can’t get resupplied, or they go dark from power outages. Then everyone trying to evacuate in traffic jams start running out of fuel. You can’t fill up in 24 hours in that situation, let alone 5 minutes.

Granted, your point about a quick fill up is totally valid under “normal” conditions. It’ll take time for EVs to reach that level of convenience.
😋

Scram1500

Reaction score
Remote carbon emission vehicles are a strange solution to a problem that may or may not exist depending on who you ask. Might be okay for a toy car to run on batteries, but at full scale carrying over 1000 lbs of toxic waste doesn't make sense if we care about the planet. If we really cared about the environment we would have Hydrogen fuel cells by now, but where's the money in that? How will corruption work around the most abundant element in the universe?

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remote carbon emission vehicles are a strange solution to a problem that may or may not exist depending on who you ask. Might be okay for a toy car to run on batteries, but at full scale carrying over 1000 lbs of toxic waste doesn't make sense if we care about the planet. If we really cared about the environment we would have Hydrogen fuel cells by now, but where's the money in that? How will corruption work around the abundant element in the universe?
8D93B5E5-8C6E-4B50-85EF-C97FFD295466.jpeg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Remote carbon emission vehicles are a strange solution to a problem that may or may not exist depending on who you ask. Might be okay for a toy car to run on batteries, but at full scale carrying over 1000 lbs of toxic waste doesn't make sense if we care about the planet. If we really cared about the environment we would have Hydrogen fuel cells by now, but where's the money in that? How will corruption work around the most abundant element in the universe?
^^^^^^^^ Truth^^^^^^^^

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Planning on keeping my Rebel and playing with one of these for back and forth to work.

246177025_10159620954329907_3615283682364184098_n.jpg 245070578_10159620954339907_7164929985341358094_n.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As much as I'd like an EV truck, the world just isn't ready for them yet. Taken from the latest TFL Truck video where they towed the Ike with a Rivian. Anyone want to unhook their trailer to sit and charge then hook it back up? Otherwise you block everything else.
1643652996139.png

Bigbags85

Reaction score
As much as I'd like an EV truck, the world just isn't ready for them yet. Taken from the latest TFL Truck video where they towed the Ike with a Rivian. Anyone want to unhook their trailer to sit and charge then hook it back up? Otherwise you block everything else.
View attachment 119120
Not to mention they couldn't even complete the whole trip in one shot.

g00fy

Reaction score
EV's are without a doubt the future, but the problem is, the future is not now, batteries and charging tech are not there yet.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Well, the Ford EV starts at $90K so I am out.
It is going to be a cluster **** once more and more people buy these things.

Wait until there are numerous EVs pulling into parking lots and people start fighting over chargers.

Basically think of it this way. Imaging driving nowadays with only 1 gas station per town and it takes 20 minutes for a tank of gas.

Users who are viewing this thread