5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else skeptical of the coming EV trucks?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, the Ford EV starts at $90K so I am out.
It is going to be a cluster **** once more and more people buy these things.

Wait until there are numerous EVs pulling into parking lots and people start fighting over chargers.

Basically think of it this way. Imaging driving nowadays with only 1 gas station per town and it takes 20 minutes for a tank of gas.
You can get a lot for $90K, like two Bighorns or one TRX. Maybe one Limited and $30K in accessories. Then again if you get the EV you can march around on the moral high ground because you are saving the planet which is priceless

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wait until there are numerous EVs pulling into parking lots and people start fighting over chargers.

Basically think of it this way. Imaging driving nowadays with only 1 gas station per town and it takes 20 minutes for a tank of gas.
A little overly dramatic, I think.

I don’t know about you, but I gas up less than once per week. I don’t see any gas pumps in my local retail parking lots. And I definitely don’t have a gas pump in my garage.

But it just so happens that I do have an electrical outlet in my garage…a bunch of them, in fact. And a subpanel that could feed a higher-voltage connection.

I’m not dismissing the challenges we need to solve around long-range EV travel/towing. But unless you commute 500 miles daily, some concerns are overblown. And as battery tech continues to rapidly improve, we may find ourselves using vehicles as power sources, i.e. energy storage for homes.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little overly dramatic, I think.

I don’t know about you, but I gas up less than once per week. I don’t see any gas pumps in my local retail parking lots. And I definitely don’t have a gas pump in my garage.

But it just so happens that I do have an electrical outlet in my garage…a bunch of them, in fact. And a subpanel that could feed a higher-voltage connection.

I’m not dismissing the challenges we need to solve around long-range EV travel/towing. But unless you commute 500 miles daily, some concerns are overblown. And as battery tech continues to rapidly improve, we may find ourselves using vehicles as power sources, i.e. energy storage for homes.
Agreed. Most EV usage right now is daily commuter stuff. My boss went from driving a Titan that got 13 MPG's 100 miles a day to driving his Model Y the same distance. He just plugs it in to his wall every night. His family uses their Traverse for travel, so it's no problem for them.

Trucks are just a whole different animal. If we didn't use the Ram for travel then just about 95% of my "needs" for a truck would be met with an EV. I don't tow much, but we travel in the truck 6-10 times a year. The distances are far enough that we'd need to take a 30+ minute break to charge in between whereas I can either one shot most of them or take a quick gas stop now.

As for gas, I regularly sit waiting at Costco for at least 10 minutes before getting to a pump. Sometimes longer. But that's the price you pay to get cheaper, good gas.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet if they really wanted to......they could build a 5.7hemi that gets 40mpg or better........someone doesn't want to because they are getting rich off the alternatives......it's a get rich game under the disguise of the environment.
I'm more excited about the twin turbo I6 than any EV.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bet if they really wanted to......they could build a 5.7hemi that gets 40mpg or better........someone doesn't want to because they are getting rich off the alternatives......it's a get rich game under the disguise of the environment.
I’ve heard of a local person accidentally getting sold a prototype f250 that made 30+ mpg. Ford paid him back for it and gave him another brand new truck. 🤔

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve heard of a local person accidentally getting sold a prototype f250 that made 30+ mpg. Ford paid him back for it and gave him another brand new truck. 🤔

Wouldn't surprise me........I really do believe they could make all engines do much better with mileage......they don't and some folks are making money from that decision......it's a game.......and most of us end up losing.

John Brereton

Reaction score
Its a balance of economy vs performance. Yes; they can probably make a 40 mpg hemi. But no one would buy it because it would be a DOG! In order to get the performance people expect you sacrifice economy.

The EV trucks will find their spot. It will probably be on a farm where low end torque is needed for pulling farm equipment. EV cars will have their place too. I could easily use one on my short commute to work. But since my commute is short I enjoy the performance of and sounds of my hemi

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think EVs have their place too. Big smoggy cites with fairly short commutes, and plenty of charging stations. Where I live, not so much.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think my cowboy hat will even fit in a Prius......and my size 13 EW boots.....well....that's gonna be a problem.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think my cowboy hat will even fit in a Prius......and my size 13 EW boots.....well....that's gonna be a problem.
If you have a size 13 boot, then what size is your...hat?

Ryno

Reaction score
While this is probably based on some sliver of reality, we've been hearing this story since the 70s. The truth is, back then, the manufacturing then wasn't possible to acheive it. And now we're able to make more power from smaller and more efficient motors, as we can hold tolerances better. I suppose if we have +/- tolerance of 0.00, hand assemble every engine, and operate them at absolute zero...then we can have pickups that operate at 40+ mpg. I'm being a little facetious, but I think you get my point.

Ryno

Reaction score
I almost forgot, at the end of the day, the Hemi is still a pushrod engine.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah get you some ol man

The old man was sitting on the examining table in the doctor’s office having his hearing checked.​

The doctor poked his light scope in the old man’s ear and said, “Hey, you have a suppository in your ear!”

“Rats,” said the old man. “Now I know where my hearing aid went.”

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The larger problem with EV?

Control. Gas is sold everywhere. You can store it easily. Despite the myth that it goes bad in a month, I as have many who prep have stored gas for a couple years with no ill effect. Yea, yea, in a lab with sensitive instruments you can test it and prove that it is less volatile. I have run year old gas from a 250 gallon tank no fuss. Can't store electricity like that. Not fueling up your EV at out of the way stations with cash if needed.

Control. Limit the power on the grid and limit movement of the people. Oh, power lines in the wind cause forest fires. (Not the lack of proper forestry maintenance). Let's do blackouts. Sorry you can't drive now. Should have stocked up on meds better.

Yes, I do buy my aluminum foil at Costco. Why do you ask?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The larger problem with EV?

Control. Gas is sold everywhere. You can store it easily. Despite the myth that it goes bad in a month, I as have many who prep have stored gas for a couple years with no ill effect. Yea, yea, in a lab with sensitive instruments you can test it and prove that it is less volatile. I have run year old gas from a 250 gallon tank no fuss. Can't store electricity like that. Not fueling up your EV at out of the way stations with cash if needed.

Control. Limit the power on the grid and limit movement of the people. Oh, power lines in the wind cause forest fires. (Not the lack of proper forestry maintenance). Let's do blackouts. Sorry you can't drive now. Should have stocked up on meds better.

Yes, I do buy my aluminum foil at Costco. Why do you ask?
The push for EV is driven by the big tech billionaires under the guise of false climate change. An EV doesn’t fit everyone’s situation. Not to mention the very high dependency on countries like China for lithium for all the batteries, poor grid etc Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread