5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else skeptical of the coming EV trucks?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Years ago, I met a mechanic that worked on the Hummers used to pull the coal carts out of the mines in West Virginia. He said all of the hummers were getting about 9mpg, except one that was getting over 30mpg. The only difference was a sealed black box under the hood. When the mechanic called GM to see if they could get more of that box for the other Hummers, GM stated that it wasn't supposed to have been installed and they needed it back. They came to the mines the next day and removed that box. The Hummer was then getting the same 9mpg.

The Gov't doesn't want us to get good gas mileage because they collect taxes on every gallon sold. They're pushing electric cars now, but have already stated that they will start taxing people with electric cars based on the miles driven. We all know the tech is there to get more mpg, but as was stated earlier, it's all about control.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hold on there.....you mean to tell me that the government is not looking out for our best interests? What a friggin shocker!!!!! Who knew????

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Makes sense. The Hemi is a pretty efficient engine for gasoline anyway. If we want to have a 30+ mpg Ram 1500 hemi it might be possible if it was available with 2 less doors, no options, well maybe am/fm radio, forget about 12000lb towing capacity, safety features-nope, no lift, no offroad tires. Basically what you could get in a 1985 Ram. It wouldn’t be comfortable but it would get good milage and it would haul ***!

All the tech and comfort on todays vehicles comes at a cost.
While this is probably based on some sliver of reality, we've been hearing this story since the 70s. The truth is, back then, the manufacturing then wasn't possible to acheive it. And now we're able to make more power from smaller and more efficient motors, as we can hold tolerances better. I suppose if we have +/- tolerance of 0.00, hand assemble every engine, and operate them at absolute zero...then we can have pickups that operate at 40+ mpg. I'm being a little facetious, but I think you get my point.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense. The Hemi is a pretty efficient engine for gasoline anyway. If we want to have a 30+ mpg Ram 1500 hemi it might be possible if it was available with 2 less doors, no options, well maybe am/fm radio, forget about 12000lb towing capacity, safety features-nope, no lift, no offroad tires. Basically what you could get in a 1985 Ram. It wouldn’t be comfortable but it would get good milage and it would haul ***!

All the tech and comfort on todays vehicles comes at a cost.
I’d absolutely love to see that and get a reg. cab 2wd as a toy. I’d drop in a hellcat long block and twin-turbo that thing in a heartbeat.

Gregg

Reaction score
I’d absolutely love to see that and get a reg. cab 2wd as a toy. I’d drop in a hellcat long block and twin-turbo that thing in a heartbeat.
Weight via size factor (look at how big a modern 1/2 ton truck is!), safety and comfort features is working against fuel efficiency. Outside of North America, a Ranger is a full size truck, with of course fuel costs being a primary driver.

Saw a new Lightning yesterday, looks great! And while the bed is tiny, the R1T is compelling (but that price!!). Stellantis needs to partner up w/ someone or be left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread