5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else happy with MPG?

Svt40

Reaction score
I am not too happy with the MPG on this truck. Just shy of 2k miles on it so far with mostly city driving and I'm averaging about 10.3 mpg. Not getting on it or anything.

The 17 year old F150 I traded in was getting about 17mpg in town. Although it did have a small V8 with the 4.6L But 10mpg is a bit ridiculous.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I am not too happy with the MPG on this truck. Just shy of 2k miles on it so far with mostly city driving and I'm averaging about 10.3 mpg. Not getting on it or anything.

The 17 year old F150 I traded in was getting about 17mpg in town. Although it did have a small V8 with the 4.6L But 10mpg is a bit ridiculous.
That sounds normal. My mileage picked up quite a bit by the time it went in for its first oil change at 5000 miles. There's a lot of friction in a new engine.

dwalme

Reaction score

My first 2021 big horn had terrible gas mileage. Best was around 12.5mpg in winter and maybe 14.5mpg in the warmer weather.

My current Laramie has no problem getting 17mpg in mixed driving with my level lift and AT tires. I was able to hit 19mpg prior.

So from 14.5 -> 19mpg with no changes in driving behavior between two trucks that should get the same mpg (same truck 4x4 crew cab, gears, wheels, tires, etc).

Clearly not all trucks are assembled the same. Some are much better than others.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I just went over 10k. On a recent trip from Vegas to Tucson and back I averaged 18.2. Not babying it at all, running 65-80 mph, up and down hills. You can see in my sig she’s no lightweight.

I bought a truck because I needed a truck. That it gets anything over 15 exceeds my expectations.

ncsu03ee

Reaction score
I had no idea I was supposed to be running 89 this whole time. Filling up today.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm happy with my MPG. I haven't done a road trip yet, but I'm getting ~17 MPG driving around town and I have a leveling kit with 33's.

That's a great point. The speed you're driving on the freeway will definitely affect your mpg's. Between that and the gear ratio we'll have a very wide range from Ram to Ram. I guess the traditional 5.7L vs the 5.7L etorque will make a few mpg difference too.

FWIW, my 20 mpg average is with a traditional 5.7L, and 3.92's at roughly 70 mph.
Based on posts I've read on this and other forums, eTorque doesn't make much, if any difference in MPG.

Something has to be wrong with your truck. 10 MPG is not normal, unless you have a TRX.

Scram1500

Reaction score

Something is up. Check your tire pressure

Awood05

Reaction score
I‘m happy with…..my TRUCK! It’s about the smiles per gallon baby!! The whiplash and accompanying whine of the supercharger make up for it.

If I wanted MPG I would have kept the 17 MKZ Hybrid I had. 43 MPG all day long. (The hybrid didn’t work with the country roads I moved out to so It had to go)

(for those curious I average 13-13.5 with a fairly even mix of city/country and highway)

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I’m not really too concerned with the mpg. Had I placed an order for one I would have gotten the 3.21 gearing instead of 3.92. But didn’t want to wait and had to take what I could find. Luckily I can afford to put gas in it 😂

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been averaging 19MPG on my truck since I purchased it. I'm satisfied with it as that's the exact gas mileage my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 got as well. This truck has more power then the V6 has and it weighs much more as well. Plus I can tow the RZR's around when I want to go have some fun. ;)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know a lot of people say things like "it's a truck" and they don't expect great mileage. I agree with that, and I suspect most people here (maybe all of them) do too. It's not that anyone expected great mileage but the topic of the thread is asking if they're satisfied with what they're getting. So the responses are whether they expected better than they're getting not that they expected their truck to get car mileage.
Not great mileage, just better than they got. This tend to be the case when people get less than the range estimated on the window sticker like Svt40 getting 10). That would be frustrating. I got a 1500 instead of a 2500 because I wanted to get better than 10 mpg. If I was getting 10 too, I'd be pretty cranky. Definitely wouldn't be happy with my mpg, but with what I have, yes I'm happy.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Happy with the mileage. Sometimes wish I would've got the 3.21 gears though. Anyone know the difference in mileage between 3.21 & 3.92 gears with 20 inch OEM tires ?
I used to average just below 13 mpg on my 2015 Outdoorsman mixed driving with the 3.92. After about 1500 miles and break in, I am now getting 15.??? mpg avg same routes with the new 3.21 so I'm figuring roughly a 20% improvement overall. And that makes a difference on gas like at least 10+ bucks a week at 3.?? a gallon. About one lunch with the wife at Appleby's a month. I personally have NEVER seen mpg resembling anything on the sticker. AND, how hard you step on the accelerator makes a big difference, like a .5 mpg over a few days on the lyometer... I purposefully tested that with a particularly long up hill entrance onto the interstate at my exit. If you are easygoing on the entrance and I don't mean poking along it is makes a difference between stomping on it... I am finding just the right mix right now for that particular gas sucking daily part of my drive. I tow a 65/6600 loaded travel trailer. The 3.21 makes virtually no difference with that. Maybe a few 10ths MPG, maybe a mile per gallon on a perfect flat run with a tailwind. In the mountains nothing noticable all single digits mpg.

Last edited:

Svt40

Reaction score
Something is up. Check your tire pressure
Tires are all at 39-40 psi.

I drive like a sane person with 99% in town driving. Like I said my old F150 was getting 17mpg in town which is acceptable. Yes I know the Ram has a larger motor but I thought almost 20 years in tech improvements would get me at least 14-15mpg in town. I do have 3.92 gears as well.

The one highway trip I did take was a few hours and I maxed out at about 17mpg.

The 10 is overall since the truck was new. The 8 is since last fill up.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1609.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1609.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_1610.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1610.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 20

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires are all at 39-40 psi.

I drive like a sane person with 99% in town driving. Like I said my old F150 was getting 17mpg in town which is acceptable. Yes I know the Ram has a larger motor but I thought almost 20 years in tech improvements would get me at least 14-15mpg in town. I do have 3.92 gears as well.

The one highway trip I did take was a few hours and I maxed out at about 17mpg.

😮 Did they mistakenly drop the 6.2L engine in your truck? All joking aside, those numbers are absurd. I would definitely suggest getting it looked at because you should be well over what you're seeing. Like I said in my previous post, my truck is lifted 3.5" and I'm on 35" tires. With that, I'm managing upwards of 20mpg highway and around 16-16.5 combined driving. Even when driving in stop and go traffic during rush hour in Orlando I'm still around the 12-13 range. I do drive like a grandpa most of the time but still...

Last edited:

Hoppy1075

Reaction score
First post!

Thanks for all the info here. I was initially concerned with the @ 16 mpg I am getting currently, but as a few noted - after break in, the mpg tends to increase and normalize. So I look forward to that day! Coming from a BMW X5 diesel to the 5.7l etorque, the mpg drop was drastic (about 28 mpg, mixed, lead foot - to about 16 mpg).

Still love the ride, smoother and more fun than the X5 for sure. Once the mpg smooths out to around 18-19, I will be giddy!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post!

Thanks for all the info here. I was initially concerned with the @ 16 mpg I am getting currently, but as a few noted - after break in, the mpg tends to increase and normalize. So I look forward to that day! Coming from a BMW X5 diesel to the 5.7l etorque, the mpg drop was drastic (about 28 mpg, mixed, lead foot - to about 16 mpg).

Still love the ride, smoother and more fun than the X5 for sure. Once the mpg smooths out to around 18-19, I will be giddy!
Welcome! Don't stress on fuel economy too much. Obviously it is a common talking point here, but I think we all knew what we were getting into when buying a full size truck. My last ride was a 2014 Mazda3 and I was averaging almost 40mpg combined driving! Lol so this has been quite a change for me. Sure, the Ram drinks more fuel, but it is has been a better vehicle in pretty much every other way so far. It was worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

BowDown

Reaction score
Happy with mine, city averages high 17's mpg or ~430 miles per tank of mixed driving 80/20 city highway

Drove to Houston last wee and averaged 21.5 mpg @73 mph their and 22 mpg @75 mph coming back
20210816_085549.jpg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either you drive extremely slow, or the idle time is killing you're averages. 3.25 hours for a 41.3 mile trip is the problem. That's 12 mph average, or a lot of idle time which logs 0 mpg. There's your problem.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 9

BowDown

Reaction score
Either you drive extremely slow, or the idle time is killing you're averages. 3.25 hours for a 41.3 mile trip is the problem. That's 12 mph average, or a lot of idle time which logs 0 mpg. There's your problem.

Yeah, I avoid idle time like the plague

Svt40

Reaction score

Most likely. From home to work is 5 stop lights.

Users who are viewing this thread