5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else happy with MPG?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from my Titan that got 13 on the interstate I was happy with anything above 15. Driving from Knoxville to Asheville in my Rebel running 75 I got 19. The downhills on the mountains helped so much since I was basically coasting the entire way. I usually average 16-17 mixed driving around Memphis, but if you keep it in the 60-65 range it's easy to see 19 in a Rebel.

Even buying higher octane gas I'm saving money over my Titan since I'm averaging 4 MPG better overall.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm averaging around 16.5 combined on my truck right now with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires which I am actually really impressed with. I also recently traveled 355 round trip miles from Orlando, FL to West Palm, FL a few weeks ago and I averaged right around 19.5mpg at an average of 67mph during that commute. I didn't hand calculate that trip and I wish I had just so I could check the accuracy of that number. Most of my driving is highway and I think it does very well for what it is. City mpg numbers in Orlando traffic is a completely different story though lol.

Last edited:

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
My last "Truck" was a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. it was good when we were at +15MPG now this 5.7 etourque with 3.92 on a 2 inch lift and 35s Im still getting above 20 on freeways and averaging around 16 in town

lkjk

Reaction score
I'm averaging around 16.5 combined on my truck right now with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires which I am actually really impressed with. I traveled 355 round trip miles from Orlando, FL to West Palm, FL a few weeks ago and I averaged right around 19.5mpg at an average of 67mph. I didn't hand calculate that trip and I wish I had just so I could check the accuracy of that number. Most of my driving is highway and I think it does very well for what it is. City mpg numbers in Orlando traffic is a completely different story though lol.
what gear ratio?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Same...I had a 1000lb all aluminum 7x12 cargo trailer and a 4700lb camper that was over twice as long. Got the same mileage regardless. It's all about pushing wind...
Yep on the wind thing. I guess putting a sail up and then dragging it into the wind isn't a very good thing relative to mpg...

Redfour5

Reaction score
My last "Truck" was a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. it was good when we were at +15MPG now this 5.7 etourque with 3.92 on a 2 inch lift and 35s Im still getting above 20 on freeways and averaging around 16 in town
Well, since you go downhill in all directions with the wind at your back I would guess so... Ignore me, I'm just jealous.

834k3r

Reaction score
To answer the title of the thread, yes. Yes, I am happy with the gas mileage.

I get nearly what I got with my previous truck ('14 Ridgeline, don't @ me), but 1/3 more cylinders, more power, and more capability. When I'm tooling around town I get high 20s/low 30s which is pretty fantastic.

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
Well, since you go downhill in all directions with the wind at your back I would guess so... Ignore me, I'm just jealous.
its all good...if i counted my last trip back from vegas which is mostly down hill I was closer to 25..but the trip up Im at like 17 from phx. ... off-roading mpg is like 8-12

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I averaged over 25 MPGs on Saturday driving 291 miles from Nashville, TN to Asheville, NC. This also included an increase in elevation of just shy of 1,500 feet. I admit I drove slowly as I knew we were going to be there before our hotel was ready. I was driving 65-68 most of the trip traveling on I40 east.

The return trip downhill was mostly into the wind and I was eager to get home driving 78 mph and at times well into the top end of high speeds. I average only 23.5 on the return trip.

I don't know how some of you guys do it, I would trade that 1.5 mpg less in a heartbeat to gain the 10-13 mph. Especially on long trips where you can cut an hour or two off for an extra $20-30, I'll take that deal every time.

That being said I have no idea what my truck is getting for mpg, haven't even looked on the evic mpg once since I've had this one. Probably not great with the 3.92s and a lot of weight, usually going 80ish give or take (most of our highways are 65mph). And well around town isn't great either, but the truck is very comfortable and serves us well almost everywhere else!

So overall very happy with the truck, while turning a blind eye to the self inflicted mpgs.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've only been getting around 17 mpg with our new 2021 Laramie with 5.7, 4x4, 3.92 gears and lots of bells and whistles. But this has been mostly commute and city driving. We were hoping for something around 22 mpg like our former Charger Scat Pack. But the good news is that the running regular grade fuel has pretty well offset the cost since the Scat Pack got 93 octane fuel. I've yet to see how she does purely on the open road.
If your going over 65 with the 3:92 don’t expect much more than 18. I now have the 3:21 and I can get 21+ Even at 70+

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
If your going over 65 with the 3:92 don’t expect much more than 18. I now have the 3:21 and I can get 21+ Even at 70+
With my sweetie driving, it's more like 50 in town and 85 during the commute. She likes to keep the pedal to the metal. I taught her to drive when she was 14 years old and I was 15. So I guess we know why. 😋

Carla20Oct2019_7.jpg

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Just did over 400 mile round trip from North Houston to San Antonio. 5.7 non-etorque, 4x2 with 3:92 using 89 fuel. Drove gently running 75 mph. Results 23 mpg on computer and 22.2 hand calculated. Love the 3:92 gears as it seems to keep the truck in eco mode longer than the 3:21 does. Very impressed with fuel economy!!

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Pretty damn happy with my '21 ecodiesel. If I can keep my foot out of it on the freeway im getting over 30mpg. 4x4 crew cab short box 3.92.
With 2,600 miles on the clock, mostly highway, some city, and plenty of remote start warm ups it says im averaging 27mpg

BigD

Reaction score
Happy with the mileage. Sometimes wish I would've got the 3.21 gears though. Anyone know the difference in mileage between 3.21 & 3.92 gears with 20 inch OEM tires ?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don’t exactly know the mpg difference between the two gears since there’s so many factors that affect mpg. But 3.21s give you a lower rpm at cruising speed. At 55 mph with mds I can see 30+ mpg, upper 20 mpg with out mds

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... I usually average 16-17 mixed driving around Memphis, but if you keep it in the 60-65 range it's easy to see 19 in a Rebel.
That's a great point. The speed you're driving on the freeway will definitely affect your mpg's. Between that and the gear ratio we'll have a very wide range from Ram to Ram. I guess the traditional 5.7L vs the 5.7L etorque will make a few mpg difference too.

FWIW, my 20 mpg average is with a traditional 5.7L, and 3.92's at roughly 70 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread