5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Considering The '24 Ram Dakota?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
How much room in the front and back seats???
Currently the Frontier and Colorado have useless back seats and I don't fit that comfortably in the driver's seat.
Also, what type of engine?
Won't bother purchasing anything less than a 6 but would be awesome with a hemi. 😛

ETA
-----
Gas mileage and cost come into place.
If a full size truck is only $5k-$10k more I may just opt for a full size.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If the rumor is true about them making a Dakota Rebel than I would consider it to replace my current Rebel.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How room in the front and back seats???
Currently the Frontier and Colorado have useless back seats and I don't fit that comfortably in the driver's seat.
Also, what type of engine?
Won't bother purchasing anything less than a 6 but would be awesome with a hemi. 😛
Considering the Hemi is goin away, even in the 1500, the best you can hope for is one of the Hurricane engines.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
"mid-sized truck cabs" vs "full-size" trucks...
You ever try to get into a Prius V before?

I feel like i'm too big for my 1500s seats sometime and I sit on the side parts that you are suppose to "fall" into the middle and i'm only around 200 lbs which is super close to the average weight of Americans.

I know what you mean. I’m not a big guy at all but if I were I think the seats would be tight. The cloth seats (which btw I thought were amazing) felt like it had softer bolstering and I think thats what I’d recommend for bigger fellas.

6of36

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I’m not a big guy at all but if I were I think the seats would be tight. The cloth seats (which btw I thought were amazing) felt like it had softer bolstering and I think thats what I’d recommend for bigger fellas.
Bigger fellas prefer the leather. Big Horn seats aren't bad, but Laramie, Limited seats are more comfortable.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bigger fellas prefer the leather. Big Horn seats aren't bad, but Laramie, Limited seats are more comfortable.
I like my BTS seats with the cloth center inserts. Not a fan of full leather

jdawgjm

Reaction score
I like my BTS seats with the cloth center inserts. Not a fan of full leather

When I think cloth I think of how it was in the 70s and 80s. That’s why I also just do leather. However when I saw how most auto manufacturers do cloth seats these days I was blown away. They’re very comfy and soft. Ram’s as well. I guess I had low expectations for cloth.

I have a limited elite with leather but it also has canvas cloth. That is very good too. I was lucky to find it, but I was ready to get cloth and a much lower trim too. They all looked great imho.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Would I buy one? I don't know, but I do like it

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So where's the cut off for "bigger fellas'" lol? I'm 5'10", 195 lbs and these Limited leather seats are the worst car seats I've ever sat in. They're way too stiff. I ran errands today and my middle back is killing me after 3 hrs. I enver had that issue in my 2016 Charger with cloth seats. I could drive all day in that seat - very comfy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tha
So where's the cut off for "bigger fellas'" lol? I'm 5'10", 195 lbs and these Limited leather seats are the worst car seats I've ever sat in. They're way too stiff. I ran errands today and my middle back is killing me after 3 hrs. I enver had that issue in my 2016 Charger with cloth seats. I could drive all day in that seat - very comfy.
Thats one of the things I don't like about full leather seats. They don't give as much and feel stiffer. Until they are older and broken in.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering the Hemi is goin away, even in the 1500, the best you can hope for is one of the Hurricane engines.
i was gonna say exactly that while reading this thread. Sounds like the pentastar is sticking around in the 1500's as a base engine... that would make me hope (if i were considering a midsize truck) that they extend the Hurricane to the mids as an option... even a Standard output twin turbo I6 would be ballzy AF in one of these...

Yet, every time in the last 3 truck purchases i've made the case for downsizing... i drive one, and talk myself right the hell out of it. It literally would take a 400hp engine to get me to really consider it... but not if it looks like a honda ridgeline haha.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i was gonna say exactly that while reading this thread. Sounds like the pentastar is sticking around in the 1500's as a base engine... that would make me hope (if i were considering a midsize truck) they they extend the Hurricane to the mids as an option... even a Standard output twin turbo I6 would be ballzy AF in one of these...

Yet, every time in the last 3 truck purchases i've made the case for downsizing... i drive one, and talk myself right the hell out of it. It literally would take a 400hp engine to get me to really consider it... but not if it looks like a honda ridgeline haha.
I mean, the Dakota R/T I had in 00 was 250 HP out of the 5.9l V8. The Pentastar V6 makes more than that

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, the Dakota R/T I had in 00 was 250 HP out of the 5.9l V8. The Pentastar V6 makes more than that
true.. but i found it boring as $h!t to drive... even when i had my charger R/T (2013) i drove an SXT just to see and i hated it... opted for the hemi that time around too since even at 375hp it had no problem man-handling that car. And i miss her... but i've always needed a truck, and haven't been able to talk myself into a mid size for the same reason.

1684632851077.jpeg

6of36

Reaction score
You're a little guy. Over 6' and over 300. Limited seats are the best I've ever sat in. Won't buy anything less than a Laramie, due to seats.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
i was gonna say exactly that while reading this thread. Sounds like the pentastar is sticking around in the 1500's as a base engine... that would make me hope (if i were considering a midsize truck) that they extend the Hurricane to the mids as an option... even a Standard output twin turbo I6 would be ballzy AF in one of these...

They way things are going I wouldn't doubt for a second that a 4 cylinder turbo of some sort will be in works for a standard engine. Just about every manufacturer has gone to small displacement engines with turbos. Mopar, dodge, Chrysler, stellantis or whatever they call themselves these days already jumped on that bandwagon with the hurricane 6cyl turbo.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They way things are going I wouldn't doubt for a second that a 4 cylinder turbo of some sort will be in works for a standard engine. Just about every manufacturer has gone to small displacement engines with turbos. Mopar, dodge, Chrysler, stellantis or whatever they call themselves these days already jumped on that bandwagon with the hurricane 6cyl turbo.
probably pretty realistic... the Ford rangers have a 4cyl eco-blast in them... #vom

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually the new Ranger has the 2.7 V6 as an option, which is probably the best engine in the F150 lineup in terms of reliability, and it’s not thaaat far off the 3.5 in performance.
That was seriously surprising.

I think we have GM to thank for that one on offering a midsize with 430 ft lbs.

So there’s some hope for the Hurricane in a Dakota…

6of36

Reaction score
Actually the new Ranger has the 2.7 V6 as an option, which is probably the best engine in the F150 lineup in terms of reliability, and it’s not thaaat far off the 3.5 in performance.
That was seriously surprising.

I think we have GM to thank for that one on offering a midsize with 430 ft lbs.

So there’s some hope for the Hurricane in a Dakota…
Will the Dakota engine compartment be long enough for a straight 6? The originals were not. More than likely turbo 4.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya probably it’s not long enough… rats, hopes dashed.

Edit: actually, thinking about all the places BMW and Mercedes cram their 3.0L straight sixes, you never know…

6of36

Reaction score
Ya probably it’s not long enough… rats, hopes dashed.

Edit: actually, thinking about all the places BMW and Mercedes cram their 3.0L straight sixes, you never know…
True, if it's small displacement, it could be a small engine. The 1500s have the long nose to fit the cummins, although they designed the V6 diesel, and never installed the cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread