5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Considering The '24 Ram Dakota?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was the big sell of the older Dakota wad they were only midsize trucks to offer a V8 option. The Colorado came later with that option, but only for a few years.
And the midsized segment wasn't nearly as big as it was now back then.

I had a 1998 dodge dakota...and there wasn't alot to pick from back then besides the Nissan hard body, and toyota.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean, that's going to happen with any vehicle. The longer you own it, the more chances parts start failing. Chevy/GM is having lots of issues with their transmissions, and still have issues with lifters in the 5.3s. And unless you step up to Denali level, he interiors are stuff cheap feeling.
Sure, things fail. I get that. But one of the big reasons I made the switch to Ram from GM in the first place was the fact that you could get more truck for your money from Ram. That is no longer true.

Not sure if you've experienced the interior of a Trail Boss LT with leather interior, but I totally disagree about it feeling cheap. I thought the interior of the truck I sat in was every bit as nice as the interior in our Limited. Maybe the fact that I'm not particularly brand loyal anymore makes me more subjective about other brands.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure, things fail. I get that. But one of the big reasons I made the switch to Ram from GM in the first place was the fact that you could get more truck for your money from Ram. That is no longer true.

Not sure if you've experienced the interior of a Trail Boss LT with leather interior, but I totally disagree about it feeling cheap. I thought the interior of the truck I sat in was every bit as nice as the interior in our Limited. Maybe the fact that I'm not particularly brand loyal anymore makes me more subjective about other brands.
I think GM is FINALLY updating their interiors. Until very recently they were very low quality extremely cheap looking plastic. Still not as comfortable as a Ram though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the midsized segment wasn't nearly as big as it was now back then.

I had a 1998 dodge dakota...and there wasn't alot to pick from back then besides the Nissan hard body, and toyota.

I mean, if talking strictly midsize truck the Dakota was it. Everything else was considered a small truck, the S-10, Ranger, Toyota

6of36

Reaction score
The Dakota was the only one anybody over 5"-6" could comfortably sit in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think GM is FINALLY updating their interiors. Until very recently they were very low quality extremely cheap looking plastic. Still not as comfortable as a Ram though.
I agree, but it really depends on trim level. Theres a huge difference from the lowest to highest trim levels with GM. I test drove a lower trim level Silverado last year just to get a feeling for how the baby Duramax compares to other engines. I don't remember which trim level it was, but it was only a level or two above a W/T. The interior of that truck was nowhere near even what the Tradesman has. Seat materials are terrible, and the plastic surfaces looked and felt cheap. Obviously there's a difference from a Tradesman to a Limited, but the differences aren't nearly as dramatic. I left GM in 2016 when I was replacing the 2006 GMC I owned at the time. I hated the direction GMC/Chevy were headed. Now I don't like the direction Ram is headed. If I were buying right now I doubt I'd buy Ram. Honestly I won't have any reason to buy for several years as long as nothing catastrophic happens with the Ram we have now. Who knows what our choices will be by then?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was the big sell of the older Dakota wad they were only midsize trucks to offer a V8 option. The Colorado came later with that option, but only for a few years.
More than that, for a long while, the Dakota was the only midsize truck. S-10, Sonoma, Ranger, Toyota (nameless than Tacoma), and Nissan Frontier all started out as compacts. Even Colorado and Canyon were initially compact trucks. There really wasn’t another midsize until the middle 2000s. So for almost two decades, they held that class to themselves.

And it took several years after Toyota and Nissan were selling midsize trucks for GM and Ford to join. Heck, Ford didn’t in the US until 2019.

You’re right; the midsize market is much more crowded total. But that also indicates demand is much higher. I have little doubt Ram could make a more stylish midsize than the rest. Does that matter, and can they do that at a price that’s competing?

6of36

Reaction score
I agree, but it really depends on trim level. Theres a huge difference from the lowest to highest trim levels with GM. I test drove a lower trim level Silverado last year just to get a feeling for how the baby Duramax compares to other engines. I don't remember which trim level it was, but it was only a level or two above a W/T. The interior of that truck was nowhere near even what the Tradesman has. Seat materials are terrible, and the plastic surfaces looked and felt cheap. Obviously there's a difference from a Tradesman to a Limited, but the differences aren't nearly as dramatic. I left GM in 2016 when I was replacing the 2006 GMC I owned at the time. I hated the direction GMC/Chevy were headed. Now I don't like the direction Ram is headed. If I were buying right now I doubt I'd buy Ram. Honestly I won't have any reason to buy for several years as long as nothing catastrophic happens with the Ram we have now. Who knows what our choices will be by then?
I've only seen one that would compare with a Laramie, not close to a Limited. The rest were like Tradesmen. I'm even talking Z71s and Denalis. A Limited Elite has a better interior than any Cadillac I have been in.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah...it's a super slow process for them to change that interior, but it's getting better.

One thing that always bugged about chevy silverado interiors is how the center console dash is always tilted into the driver slightly. Personally for me, I like a flat uniformed dash that all can see...not just the driver.

No issues with the center dash in the camaro (the lack of viewing angles in the back is that issue).

in fact I like the redesign Colorado dash better.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've only seen one that would compare with a Laramie, not close to a Limited. The rest were like Tradesmen. I'm even talking Z71s and Denalis. A Limited Elite has a better interior than any Cadillac I have been in.
Haha...the upper trim levels are definitely not like a Tradesman. Agree to disagree I guess. 🍻

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t been in one, but from the photos, it looks like the Denali Ultimate offers real competition to the Longhorn. But that comes for $10,000 more (and the gap used to be even bigger).

Granted, that has the 6.2L V8 and Super Cruise. But in my totally biased opinion, Ram still holds the crown for those looking for value in a luxury trim.

6of36

Reaction score
I haven’t been in one, but from the photos, it looks like the Denali Ultimate offers real competition to the Longhorn. But that comes for $10,000 more (and the gap used to be even bigger).

Granted, that has the 6.2L V8 and Super Cruise. But in my totally biased opinion, Ram still holds the crown for those looking for value in a luxury trim.
Yeah, like I said, they are finally improving them. That is the only thing better about GM, is you get a V8 choice. Ram can be updated to hands free cruise, but they don't offer it factory to avoid the lawsuits when they fail. Many instances of Tesla accidents.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if you've checked prices lately. I invite you to go the the ramtrucks.com site and build your exact truck (or as close as possible) to see how much more it would cost if you were buying it today. I did this with the 2020 Laramie I used to own. That truck had an MSRP of $58,150. After building one as close as I could on that site, the same truck would cost almost $12k more today at $70,065. Where's the value in that?

6of36

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've checked prices lately. I invite you to go the the ramtrucks.com site and build your exact truck (or as close as possible) to see how much more it would cost if you were buying it today. I did this with the 2020 Laramie I used to own. That truck had an MSRP of $58,150. After building one as close as I could on that site, the same truck would cost almost $12k more today at $70,065. Where's the value in that?
Thanks to Joe Lieden's inflation, everything is up 20%. In 2020 I was paying $.69 for eggs, now they are $4.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to Joe Lieden's inflation, everything is up 20%. In 2020 I was paying $.69 for eggs, now they are $4.
Not to get a political, but it's hardly his fault. I would blame more on corporate greed, inflated prices during the pandemic, purposely slowing down production, with little to no changes in the rams, and dealer markups.

And we should give car makers and dealers more discounts to build in america....nah...no thank you.

6of36

Reaction score
Not to get a political, but it's hardly his fault. I would blame more on corporate greed, inflated prices during the pandemic, purposely slowing down production, with little to no changes in the rams, and dealer markups.

And we should give car makers and dealers more discounts to build in america....nah...no thank you.

Political or not it is fact. As soon as he shut down oil drilling, his first day in office, oil skyrocketed. Every item you buy uses oil, whether in manufacturing, or transporting. The price of shipping every part to the plant has gone up 20%. The price of those parts went up due to the cost of shipping the materials.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Political or not it is fact. As soon as he shut down oil drilling, his first day in office, oil skyrocketed. Every item you buy uses oil, whether in manufacturing, or transporting. The price of shipping every part to the plant has gone up 20%. The price of those parts went up due to the cost of shipping the materials.
It's YOUR facts. Just make sure we are on the same page. People see what they want to see when it comes to politics.

Anyway...stick to the subject...don't try to add something that isn't relevant...or try to stur the pot.

Right now like folks had said, ram dakota has to stick out better in a crowed field..and they have an opportunity if they do it right.

Dewey

Reaction score
When I ordered my 2017 Laramie before all this madness it was $55650 with discounts galore. Now a Laramie with pretty much the same exact options is $74435. That’s almost an $19,000 increase in 6 years. That’s just not sustainable anymore. Too many people are being priced out of the market. Do I feel like I’m getting much more truck for my money these days? Heck no. Not surprising sales are tanking.

I think the somewhat cheaper Dakota is being built to retain some of those customers who might downgrade a bit due to affordability. No way I could do that but many will.

Last edited:

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2017 Laramie it was $55650. Now a Laramie with pretty much the same exact options is $74435. That’s almost an $19,000 increase in 6 years. That’s just not sustainable anymore. Too many people are being priced out of the market. Not surprising sales are tanking.

I think the somewhat cheaper Dakota is being built to retain some of those customers who might downgrade a bit due to affordability. No way I could do that but many will.
When I ordered my 2022 ram...June 2021, it was $4k cheaper compared to what it is now. Hell, they even removed options like rambox in the bighorn trim. Don't believe one bit when someone says "supply shortage" right now. It's more like "we don't make that anymore because we can't charge more for it".

Dewey

Reaction score
My house doubled in value. It's not just cars. It's out of control inflation. 2 of my 3 kids are stuck renting, because they can't afford a house. "Starter homes" are now $300,000. I can't imagine Commiefornia.
Exactly

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/