5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ACTUALLY running 5w-30 or even 10w-30? Thoughts? Experience? Any REAL TRUTH to throwing a code running higher weight oil (no conjecture please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why it is a multi viscosity oil. Summer/Winter. Was deferent when the older cars used a W30 most of the time, and in colder climates W10, really hot climates a W50. Unless you had a Hog. Then it was W50 or better because of all the oil leaks.;)

bigjeffg

Reaction score
My Father in law worked on the engineering team in the early 2000, that designed the third Gen 5.7 . He was very insistent that the only reason they changed the weight of the oil, was for fuel economy.

I thought it best not to question him on this. He was the Mechanic Engineer, I’m just an Electrical Engineer. To keep things happy in the family, I have alway used Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil. This is what he insisted was the only correct oil for “his” engine.

Was his position dated? I don’t know. He had retired before this change was implemented. He has recently passed away. Out of respect, I will alway use Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil in my truck. I will say that I have never experienced any adverse effects from this. The truck had 500 miles, before I changed to the new oil. I’m just a little over 20k now. Time will tell if this is/was a mistake.

Sharing this anecdotally, not trying to sway anyone from their choice of motor oil.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
My Father in law worked on the engineering team in the early 2000, that designed the third Gen 5.7 . He was very insistent that the only reason they changed the weight of the oil, was for fuel economy.

I thought it best not to question him on this. He was the Mechanic Engineer, I’m just an Electrical Engineer. To keep things happy in the family, I have alway used Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil. This is what he insisted was the only correct oil for “his” engine.

Was his position dated? I don’t know. He had retired before this change was implemented. He has recently passed away. Out of respect, I will alway use Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil in my truck. I will say that I have never experienced any adverse effects from this. The truck had 500 miles, before I changed to the new oil. I’m just a little over 20k now. Time will tell if this is/was a mistake.

Sharing this anecdotally, not trying to sway anyone from their choice of motor oil.

To this point: Did they change the owners manual?

Someone recently recommended I switch from 5w-20 to 5w-30. I vaguely remember in the owners manual there WAS (not any longer) an oil viscosity chart based on operating temperature conditions.

Mysteriously...I can't find it. As you know, the owners manuals are online now. There were grumblings I found on other forums about Mopar changing the owners manual and removing the 5w-30 approval due to the EPA/government being PITA's.

Am I losing my mind or did this exist at one point in time?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Someone recently recommended I switch from 5w-20 to 5w-30. I vaguely remember in the owners manual there WAS (not any longer) an oil viscosity chart based on operating temperature conditions.

Mysteriously...I can't find it. As you know, the owners manuals are online now. There were grumblings I found on other forums about Mopar changing the owners manual and removing the 5w-30 approval due to the EPA/government being PITA's.

Neither my '20 nor '22 manual have that chart. They used to be commonplace, but the powers that be don't want us to be informed or make our own choices :p

silver billet

Reaction score

Yes it changed and no you're not losing your mind :)

Here is an example from the 2014 owners manual

raxuNNZ.png

And note how they recommend 5w-30 in the 2500 variant when towing gets past 7000-ish pounds
iPKENVx.png

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yes it changed and no you're not losing your mind :)

Here is an example from the 2014 owners manual

raxuNNZ.png

And note how they recommend 5w-30 in the 2500 variant when towing gets past 7000-ish pounds
iPKENVx.png

It's a sad world we live in where they won't provide a physical owner's manual anymore because they like to change it at-will, to suit their liability/need.

RAL

Reaction score
If I am reading the 2014 manual correctly, it still says 5w20 is the preferred viscosity and that 5w30 may be used when 5w20 is not available.

W Six

Reaction score
I bought my Laramie about 8 months ago with 40 something thousand miles on it.
We took a trip, pulling our travel trailer.
We went from S. Illinois, to SoCal, to Spokane, WA., then down to Vegas then home.

I did an oil change in preparation for said trip, using Pennzoil Ultra, High Milage 5-w30, as that's what I have from buying a bunch for the previous truck n van.
I had the oil changed in Albuquerque as the truck was down to 10% oil life.

I had them pull a sample and when I got home I sent it off to Blackstone.
It came back with a note that the engine seems to be in great shape and suggested I could take it to 7k next go round.

So, for me, ill stick with it as my other vehicles ran great on that oil as well.
I may bump up to 10- down the road when I need more oil.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll never put anything back in except Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30! Truck seems to run
so much better and no clatter on startup anymore!
Same here. I add lubegard every change. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside every oil change like my lifters are indestructible! Haven't looked back.

I always say good morning to my lifters and cam as well.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Same here. I add lubegard every change. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside every oil change like my lifters are indestructible! Haven't looked back.

I always say good morning to my lifters and cam as well.

Where are you finding the LubeGard? I can't seem to find online?

And are you adding it to compliment the recommended 7 qts? Or filling to 7qts on the dot with the LubeGard?

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where are you finding the LubeGard? I can't seem to find online?

And are you adding it to compliment the recommended 7 qts? Or filling to 7qts on the dot with the LubeGard?
Never exceed the full mark on your dipstick. If you feel the need to include additives, reduce the amount of oil you add by the amount of additive you'll be pouring in.

silver billet

Reaction score
My reading abilities are pretty good and that's not how I read it. Keep beating that dead horse . . . .

They tell you to run 5w-30 when the engine is getting worked hard. Some people just need a map I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread