5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody wish they had bought a different vehicle?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My only regret is not getting a 2021 for the HUD, also MFT would of been nice.. Plus not getting the full red seats.
LOVE my HUD. Really wasn't looking for a MFT, but all I could find loaded the way I wanted it (most of it) had the MFT. Now that I have it, I would never not buy it again!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah, I love my truck but I am bad about "planning" purchases. So I'm already thinking about my wife's next vehicle or my next commuter. I also want a sports car project. It's an affliction lol.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Honestly - I'm an SUV guy. When I was shopping for the (necessary) replacement for my '16 Honda Pilot - everyones's SUV was in the last year (or two) between updates. Would have bought another Pilot - but nothing had been updated since '16 - and I wasn't paying $45K just for "new car smell". And my milage on the Pilot made it necessary to trade at that moment.

So I decided to try a FULL SIZE pickup. Test drove everything out there, the new RAM was the nicest, best riding , best feature set, and best value (even @ a $67K sticker for my fully loaded Limited).

After a year in my Ram - it's still the best FULL SIZE PICKUP out there, hands down.

But - I really am an SUV guy - so I'm shopping SUV's now.

Having a pickup bed doesn't suit my needs as well as interior cargo does. I don't haul "dirty nasty stuff", so an exterior truck bed isn't a necessity. And I'm thinking of doing Uber/Lyft Black XL for side $$ (and a pickup isn't going to work for that). So I'm spec'ing a Yukon Denali XL 3.0 Diesel - now that they can be ordered. A little pricier on the sticker (obviously), but every bit as nice in the interior as the Ram. Probably have to wait until alter spring/summer for them to start dealing.

Do I wish I bought something INSTEAD OF? At the time - NO. In hindsight - had the new Yukon been out too - I probably would have ended up with one, instead of my Ram. Not that the Ram has disappointed me in any way - just that an SUV would work better for my needs.

And I'm NOT waiting for a $100K Grand Wagoneer - no $100K Jeeps, thank you. A 3 row Durango on a 1500 Chassis? I'd consider that.

But by this time next year - you'll probably see me in a Yukon...

Rick

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Yes... I wish I had bought the used Bentley Continental I was looking at before my truck. One for the pimp value but mostly because I would have gotten better luxury level(only slightly though) and at least it would have fit in my garage which is 6 inches too short to put the RAM in.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my BigHorn since October 2018.. I still really like it and enjoy driving it very much. However, I still find myself on the Ram site almost weekly building new Rebels and Laramies!!

But I’ve spent about $5k on upgrades and my truck only has 28k miles on it. This is my fourth brand new vehicle since 2012, and my original goal was to keep it for 100k miles... I’m trying! Stay tuned!! We shall see!!

puba08

Reaction score
Love my BTS. Still get excited driving it, though I wish the real sport hood was included. That said I will somehow find a way to get a Power Wagon in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had my BigHorn since October 2018.. I still really like it and enjoy driving it very much. However, I still find myself on the Ram site almost weekly building new Rebels and Laramies!!

But I’ve spent about $5k on upgrades and my truck only has 28k miles on it. This is my fourth brand new vehicle since 2012, and my original goal was to keep it for 100k miles... I’m trying! Stay tuned!! We shall see!!
I have similar feelings, only thing to do is start driving coast to coast and you can have both. (y) (y):)

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Nope. I love the Ram. I loved my Titan before it. I had the Titans for 15 years. I suspect I'll have the Ram for 15 years; at my current rate of mileage it will have 120k miles on it 15 years from now.

I was on the lot today waiting for my truck on its oil change and tire rotation and I was looking at Jeep stickers. The Jeep pickups were stickered at 67k. Outrageous. The 4 door Jeeps were 60k. I love Jeeps - I've had 2 of them - but no way would I pay anything more than a pittance for one. They're fun to goof around in on Sunday but they suck as an every day vehicle and they are ridiculously overpriced, like Harleys.

One thing about the grass is always greener thing: every time you cross the fence it usually costs a pretty hefty toll.
My step-son is a salesman for a large dealer and he told me that you get a lot more bang for your bucks with the Ram trucks vs. the Jeeps. That being said, his wife drives a Wrangler and loves it. My wife and I just bought a Lone Star and it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly - I'm an SUV guy. When I was shopping for the (necessary) replacement for my '16 Honda Pilot - everyones's SUV was in the last year (or two) between updates. Would have bought another Pilot - but nothing had been updated since '16 - and I wasn't paying $45K just for "new car smell". And my milage on the Pilot made it necessary to trade at that moment.

So I decided to try a FULL SIZE pickup. Test drove everything out there, the new RAM was the nicest, best riding , best feature set, and best value (even @ a $67K sticker for my fully loaded Limited).

After a year in my Ram - it's still the best FULL SIZE PICKUP out there, hands down.

But - I really am an SUV guy - so I'm shopping SUV's now.

Having a pickup bed doesn't suit my needs as well as interior cargo does. I don't haul "dirty nasty stuff", so an exterior truck bed isn't a necessity. And I'm thinking of doing Uber/Lyft Black XL for side $$ (and a pickup isn't going to work for that). So I'm spec'ing a Yukon Denali XL 3.0 Diesel - now that they can be ordered. A little pricier on the sticker (obviously), but every bit as nice in the interior as the Ram. Probably have to wait until alter spring/summer for them to start dealing.

Do I wish I bought something INSTEAD OF? At the time - NO. In hindsight - had the new Yukon been out too - I probably would have ended up with one, instead of my Ram. Not that the Ram has disappointed me in any way - just that an SUV would work better for my needs.

And I'm NOT waiting for a $100K Grand Wagoneer - no $100K Jeeps, thank you. A 3 row Durango on a 1500 Chassis? I'd consider that.

But by this time next year - you'll probably see me in a Yukon...

Rick
If you don't need a third row of seats why not just put a cap on the back of the truck? Then you get SUV and truck utility at the same time and don't have to take a money hit.

Jako

Reaction score
Yes... I wish I had bought the used Bentley Continental I was looking at before my truck. One for the pimp value but mostly because I would have gotten better luxury level(only slightly though) and at least it would have fit in my garage which is 6 inches too short to put the RAM in.
My 2019 is 3" wider and 8" longer than my 2001 Dodge 1500 SLT. I feel your pain but mine is pulling over to let the other guy get by. I now follow my dad's routes with one way streets and lights. Not sure if it is my old age and wisdom that comes with it or my concerns about the precious cocoon surrounding my old bones.

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
If you don't need a third row of seats why not just put a cap on the back of the truck? Then you get SUV and truck utility at the same time and don't have to take a money hit.

Can't put passengers under a cap.

As I said (and we've discussed in previous posts) - had the new lineup of GM SUV's been out a year ago - I most likely would have went in that direction and never even looked at pickups.

Not that there is anything wrong really - with the Ram. Or the things I dislike are minor, and I write them off to "hey, it's a damn pickup truck". The ride is sweet (unless you're going over bumps), much nicer than any other truck I drove. The gas milage sucks - but then again - I was only averaging 16 with the Honda so it's as much the fault of my right foot as anything else.

And as I mentioned in the previous post, I'm considering doing Uber/Lift Black (lux) - and you can't do that in a pickup.

Am I going to take a depreciation hit on the truck - yup. But between the discount of sticker ($6K) and rebate on the deal ($4,500) - and the current trade-in value ($48K) - it's not as difficult to swallow as it would be with no discount or rebate (almost a break-even).

So it still comes down to the original question - do I wish I bought something else?

When it comes to pickups - the answer would be NO. Ram is still the best equipped, best looking, most comfortable, BEST VALUE in the top trim of pickups out there. And unlike GM - doesn't have the "distinction between lines" (GMC versus Chevy versus Caddy) - where the Suburban I configured is not nearly as nice as the Yukon XL in the same configuration - and the price difference between the two is only $2K. Negligible difference in price, for a huge difference in overall quality. And forget a similarly configured Caddy, insane @ $110K.

So I'm selling some guns and other toys I don't need - to come up with the downstroke (I hate huge payments, and the milage I run doesn't allow for a lease).

Will I miss my Ram when the time comes? Probably not - as I will be getting into something as nice, that is more functional for MY NEEDS. Do I REGRET BUYING THE RAM? Nope - you don't know, what you don't know - until you experience it. Could I KEEP THE RAM for another 3 years (I usually trade @ 4 yrs/100K miles)? Yes & no. Yeah - I could drive it for another 4, and it wouldn't hurt me - but being that I am looking at going in a different direction for what I am going to be using the vehicle for - no.

I appreciate the suggestion of the cap. I looked at them when I first got the truck. Maybe someone even makes one by now that will fit with the MFT. But I'm also not looking to spend another couple of thousand to get one either.

Rick

coolidge

Reaction score
Sometimes wish I had bought a new SuperDuty with the new 7.3L or a HD RAM so it would be a bit more capable.. but I liked the ride of the 1/2 tons way better.

That 7.3L is detuned to a gutless wonder in normal mode. Put it in tow/haul mode and it's a whole different engine. After 4 years in a 2017 F350 6.7L I traded in on 2021 Ram Rebel I'm WAY happier with the Rebel in every aspect. There's nothing the Super Duty had that I miss and mine was loaded to the hilt.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
It's the Ram 3500 I was wanting and still think about it but in the long run using my truck as a daily driver and only towing smallish trailer in 2021 and beyond I am happy with my decision. Truck drives beautifully and likely a lot smoother than the 3500. Happy New Year everyone!

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another nope. I thoroughly looked at all the competitors and even the gladiator....nothing was as good and I still believe it today.

Truckit

Reaction score
Yes and no. I have a long box 2019 Limited with off road pkg and every option except trailer mirrors. I ordered the identical truck in a 2021 with MFT, HUD etc. I wanted it for this years taxes but it isn't going to be here in time. Meanwhile I see all the paint coming off my Limited grille and decided to cancel the new truck. I now have a Longhorn coming with all options except trailer assist. It doesn't have a painted grille and will have chrome bumpers. No painted or plastic bumpers or grilles for me on trucks anymore!
My other vehicle is a 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT. My only regret on it is not ordering the Harmon Kardon sound system.

Vilas15

Reaction score
And as I mentioned in the previous post, I'm considering doing Uber/Lift Black (lux) - and you can't do that in a pickup.
Hope you're planning on doing it just for fun and a little cash here or there. Their entire business model is instead of owning the vehicles like a cab company and paying maintenance/insurance/etc, they underpay you for the mileage and depreciation on your own car. I can't imagine spending 70k and racking up the miles for Uber.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hope you're planning on doing it just for fun and a little cash here or there. Their entire business model is instead of owning the vehicles like a cab company and paying maintenance/insurance/etc, they underpay you for the mileage and depreciation on your own car. I can't imagine spending 70k and racking up the miles for Uber.

I get it - but if you're doing Black/SUV or Lyft Lux/Black/XL - it's a significantly higher rate, plus it weeds out the riffraff.

It's not my primary source of income - but I appreciate the advice.

Rick

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only regret is not buying a virtually identical 2500....getting a camper much sooner than originally planned due to Covid puts me in a position where I am towing to campgrounds less than 4 hrs away multiple weekends and one yearly trip of ~2,000 miles total.

I wish I had the cash to upgrade in December but I didn't, and likely won't for some time. The 1500 does great towing my camper but I am likely at the limits when the family is loaded up.

It is what it is, we take our time anyways and aren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

Onto more details about my 1500 specifically, I like the 12 inch screen even though I likely would not have optioned for it due to price. Same thing with the optioned 20s, though with the stock duelers it likely feels better towing than the 18s would have. I would have ordered the 33 gallon tank for the range while towing, though with the kids it's kind of a mute point.
The remaining options were necessary so I found this truck for a great deal and that's why I made the purchase when I did.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
LOVE my HUD. Really wasn't looking for a MFT, but all I could find loaded the way I wanted it (most of it) had the MFT. Now that I have it, I would never not buy it again!

That I have no doubt in, I'd have been very happy with it, its the best tailgate out hands down IMO

Users who are viewing this thread