5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Park In a Normal Size Garage?

jimchi

Reaction score
I’m building a new detached garage and I actually spec’d a 7’ door. I had a 7’ door in the last house, but I converted to a side-mount opener before getting the truck. It was a pretty easy install, and I was able to remove the center track for more clearance.

Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Opener - Wall Mounted - myQ Smartphone Controlled - Ultra Quiet Space Saving Direct Drive, Model RJO20, Black https://a.co/aHHa9wk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m building a new detached garage and I actually spec’d a 7’ door. I had a 7’ door in the last house, but I converted to a side-mount opener before getting the truck. It was a pretty easy install, and I was able to remove the center track for more clearance.

Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Opener - Wall Mounted - myQ Smartphone Controlled - Ultra Quiet Space Saving Direct Drive, Model RJO20, Black https://a.co/aHHa9wk

The opener isn’t the issue …. With the darn shark fin, 4” lift with 35’s is pretty close to hittin the top of the door frame on a 7’ door …. If you can, I’d do 8’ all day long …. Never say never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the LiftMaster wall mounted garage door openers, so I can't confirm this, but I don't think any part of the overhead door openers hangs lower than the garage door opening.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the LiftMaster wall mounted garage door openers, so I can't confirm this, but I don't think any part of the overhead door openers hangs lower than the garage door opening.

I get that …. What We are trying to tell you, is the 7’ opening is the problem

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I am agreeing with you by telling him, his overhead garage door opener isn't the problem.

jimchi

Reaction score

The 4” lift and 35s aren’t ever going to be a problem for me tho. 7’ meets my needs and allows for more storage in the attic space. My municipality limits overall detached garage height, and the extra storage was important as well.

Removing the overhead opener did give me some extra clearance. The way the last garage was constructed, the bracket that attached the door to the carriage hung down. I didn’t want to scrape my roof on that, or worry about it when doing oil changes with my ramps.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everybody should have an 8’ door standard …. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it when I built

That goes for the width too, I see so many houses with 7' wide single car doors, 8' wide on a single should be the absolute minimum.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't put my car in the garage for a long time. My wife took up gardening actively two years ago. Flowers helped her calm down during the pandemic. Therefore, the garage is filled with seedlings, shovels, and soil. At first, I was against it, but then I found a solution.
Ok, something is fishy here. That response doesn't sound human. And you've got the same IP address as a few other bots that have shown up in this forum. I challenge you to say something human.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The opener isn’t the issue …. With the darn shark fin, 4” lift with 35’s is pretty close to hittin the top of the door frame on a 7’ door …. If you can, I’d do 8’ all day long …. Never say never

35s with a 4" BDS will just fit with 8ths of inch to spare. Plenty of room!

2019Raven

Reaction score
Bought a house with a 30’ by 40’ garage. Raven fits well with my spouses Ford Escape and has enough room left over for 2 work spaces. The one thing I wish I had was 10’ doors vice 8’ but I still love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online