5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 12" screen?

BlckDT

Reaction score
Not a regret for the 8.4 here. Although it would've been nice if available on the Big horn (which it now has started to show up at the dealer, 3 weeks after my purchase). Guess I don't know what I'll be missing anyways :) haha. Had the 8.4 in my last vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and loved it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Love the Rebel 12. Not only because of the screen but it gets rid of those weird *** tire tread patterns on the seats.
Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one scratching my head at that design decision...

cra1g

Reaction score
The surround-view image isn't any larger on the 12" screen than it is on the 8.4" ones because it only runs half-screen.

It appears you're right--it just seems "big" for some reason. That being the case, I suppose from my perspective, there's very little advantage in having the 12" over the 8.4". If navigation through Android Auto could be full screen, it would be a much bigger deal. Without that, though, all I really get out of it is the ability to see album art and navigation at the same time.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It appears you're right--it just seems "big" for some reason. That being the case, I suppose from my perspective, there's very little advantage in having the 12" over the 8.4". If navigation through Android Auto could be full screen, it would be a much bigger deal. Without that, though, all I really get out of it is the ability to see album art and navigation at the same time.
That, and also native nav is full screen, which is amazing when viewing real-time traffic, etc on such a large screen.

hammer722

Reaction score
Agree.
Lol! Not to mention they are duratrac patterns, so if you get something other than a duratrac tire, you're stuck w it!
Agree. It honestly looks like cheetah print. Haha RAM built an awesome truck and then put THAT on the seat!?!? Can't imagine they continue to put those in the Rebel for much longer.

Last edited:

bigwidge

Reaction score
I fought myself long and hard saying I "needed" a 12" screen. Only thing was I wanted a Big Horn, which makes it a hard to find item (Most 12" are in Laramies and up). Ultimately settled for a 8.4" screen and instead got some nice upgrades I wasnt originally looking for (LED Light Package, Blind Spot Monitoring, & Parking Sensors to name a few)

If Carplay would utilize the full screen I definitely would have went with the 12".

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, if you rely heavily on navigation, the 12" screen is next level stuff. It will be well worth the upgrade price because the vertical layout will make navigation a breeze. Otherwise, the 12" layout is bascially an aesthetic upgrade that definitely will turn heads of your passengers who ride in the truck for the first time.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"Regrets"? No. Had it come with the truck I probably would have liked it and may even be spoiled by it, but I haven't regretted the 8.4 at all, it's large enough for me and works great. One thing that concerns me about touch screens, is that "playing" with a screen in a moving/bouncing truck is not ideal, I always prefer large, easy to use buttons with real feedback. So if the 12 sacrifices physical buttons, then I would definitely have to think twice before getting it.

On the flipside, I wouldn't worry about reliability of the 12 either, because there shouldn't be any difference there between 8 vs 12 just because the one is larger than the other. Computer monitors or TV's don't become less reliable just because they get larger.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I test drove it was winter and wear deer skin gloves. I tried the 12 and love the looks etc but with no stereo differences as I didn’t go HK the ease of grabbing and using the large knobs made me not want the 12. The other thing is at night I have sensitive eyes to light and it’s just more to need to dim. Even with the 8 I hit the screen off button a lot.

hammer722

Reaction score
When I test drove it was winter and wear deer skin gloves. I tried the 12 and love the looks etc but with no stereo differences as I didn’t go HK the ease of grabbing and using the large knobs made me not want the 12. The other thing is at night I have sensitive eyes to light and it’s just more to need to dim. Even with the 8 I hit the screen off button a lot.
I was pretty surprised at how much it dims. Guessing the 8 is the same but once you move the britness dial just a tad, the screens switch from daylight colors to night colors and the floor lighting kicks on. pretty slick. all the little things the dealer didn't bother to tell me about. haha

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Custom ordered my Larmie specifically to have the 8.4 screen. It was impossible to turn seat fan on/off, fan up/dwn and so many features w/o looking. When I test drove, I had to spend soo much time looking down on the screen to find a function and then turn on/off...was taking too much time looking down. With all the knobs, I can just reach over and turn on/off without looking. Screen is very nice but I love having all the knobs vs navigating thru a bunch of menus on a screen. My wife and daughter and friend all had the same issues with the 12" screen.

onelochevy

Reaction score
I like the 8.4 and prefer actual buttons for stuff instead of having all of the controls on the touch screen. The 12" does look badass though.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can appreciate all these concerns your noted. It took me almost 3 months to get a feel of where to touch on the screen without taking my eyes off the road too much. What's nice is that the 12" pulls up seat controls immediately upon starting the vehicle so that helps to get the seats set for those shorter drives. I don't know how many knobs I do not have with the 12" but after the "training period", so to speak, it is pretty seamless, combined with all the other knobs that I have control of.
Custom ordered my Larmie specifically to have the 8.4 screen. It was impossible to turn seat fan on/off, fan up/dwn and so many features w/o looking. When I test drove, I had to spend soo much time looking down on the screen to find a function and then turn on/off...was taking too much time looking down. With all the knobs, I can just reach over and turn on/off without looking. Screen is very nice but I love having all the knobs vs navigating thru a bunch of menus on a screen. My wife and daughter and friend all had the same issues with the 12" screen.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I can appreciate all these concerns your noted. It took me almost 3 months to get a feel of where to touch on the screen without taking my eyes off the road too much. What's nice is that the 12" pulls up seat controls immediately upon starting the vehicle so that helps to get the seats set for those shorter drives. I don't know how many knobs I do not have with the 12" but after the "training period", so to speak, it is pretty seamless, combined with all the other knobs that I have control of.
Each has its pros and cons. Know guys that love the 12” and I love my 8.4. All that matters is that you find what works for you.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got into a manual spray bay tonight and put $6 through the credit card and used the pre-soak and then rinse setting. Probably about 12 minutes total spraying bugs and grime off. I then didn't touch the truck until I got home and then did a Uber rinseless wash out of a bucket. Wasn't bad. Quicker than a full foam and two bucket wash. Truck looks great. The diamond black was poppin'.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got into a manual spray bay tonight and put $6 through the credit card and used the pre-soak and then rinse setting. Probably about 12 minutes total spraying bugs and grime off. I then didn't touch the truck until I got home and then did a Uber rinseless wash out of a bucket. Wasn't bad. Quicker than a full foam and two bucket wash. Truck looks great. The diamond black was poppin'.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy with my 8.4 inch screen that said the 12" is pretty badass looks wise.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Absolutely no regrets with the 12" screen. I was already familiar with the Uconnect system from my Charger and Pacifica 8.4". I'm a techie, and getting the 12" was a given. I think they've done a great job with the interface. Yes, it takes a while to get used to where all the settings are located, but you quickly learn. I love the full screen music page with larger fonts for song information and love the bigger album art. The split screen is really nice to have both Nav and Music screens together. Also, with Android Auto, you can take advantage of split screen. I can have google maps on the top and Spotify on the bottom. I couldn't be happier.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I got the 12” screen, it’s a great conversation piece, but functionality wise, I don’t see the benefit. If you didn’t get it, I wouldn’t fret over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Computer monitors or TV's don't become less reliable just because they get larger.

not disagreeing with your post but this line reminded me about something Tesla's going through - the huge screens they use have started leaking their fluids - so in a way, they (plus Toyota Prius etc) with larger screens are having issues due to screen size/grade

Leaking Screen Saga

just something to think about with FCA

Users who are viewing this thread