5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 12" screen?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking at a truck tomorrow that has the 8.4 U connect, however it has every other box checked that i am after. Kind of bummed it doesn't have the big 12" screen, but I do like quick access to AC and seats.

My question is, does anyone have any qualms on the 8.4" It's bigger than my GMC, and my Nissan already, but the novelty of the 12" just looks killer sitting in the middle of the stack...

Thanks in advance.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy has a Limited with the 12”, sorry but as cool as it looks and functions no way that thing is problem free for the long haul!

GAscooter

Reaction score
8.4 w/ nav. It seems the perfect size to me. I'm sure that I would like the 12 too, but it's not worth paying extra to me.

Turin

Reaction score
360-degree camera on the big screen is like a cheat-code for parking. When I bought it, I thought it might be kind of a cool novelty, but it's turning out to be one of my favorite things about the truck.
The surround-view image isn't any larger on the 12" screen than it is on the 8.4" ones because it only runs half-screen. It's still fantastic for parking, of course. It was a pricey upgrade but definitely worth it IMO.

To answer the OP's question; I ordered with the 8.4 instead of the 12 and have no regrets. The only thing that might cause me to regret my decision would be a software update that enabled Android Auto to run full-screen on the 12" units; it would be nice for navigation.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only had the 8.4 (non-nav) and would say 'I guess I don't know what I'm missing' - the Rebel 12 wasn't out/available when I was buying and the Limited I sat in with the 12 looked amazing but as tech laden as I am, I like physical controls for HVAC.

I guess the 360 cameras + 12" Screen would be a decision maker for me, but outside that (I don't have 360 cams either, victim of the tow package here); that is something to consider

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We can go ahead and nix this thread lol. The truck i was going to see turned out to have way more miles on it and was a "transport damaged" vehicle. No thanks!

Back to pursuing a 12" lol

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the 12" and rely on it more than I thought I would. I am hoping that they come out with an update to allow the use of the whole screen for camera and also for full screen (with no borders or buttons) map.

hammer722

Reaction score
Love the Rebel 12. Not only because of the screen but it gets rid of those weird *** tire tread patterns on the seats.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the Rebel 12. Not only because of the screen but it gets rid of those weird *** tire tread patterns on the seats.

Lol! Not to mention they are duratrac patterns, so if you get something other than a duratrac tire, you're stuck w it!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the 8.4 is great. Very well done. If I had the option for a 12 I would have done it. I love the gadgets. That said I don’t think it’s a deal breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread