5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any high mileage diesels, how are they holding up?

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
Those mpg numbers sound pretty good. I usually average between 17-19mpg with my hemi, commuting back and forth to work. So I would think 27+ could be doable for me with the eco d. I would love to find a eco diesel with the 33 gallon tank. That would save me even more trips to the gas station. Doing a search, I can't find that combo anywhere near me.

Taking mpg out of the equation. As far as driving impressions, do you prefer driving one over the other, as far as hemi vs ed? Is there much difference, or pros and cons to each? Or would you say they are comparable enough where it's basically a coin toss.
If you can't find a vehicle with the specifications you want, then order one. That's what I just did, ordered an ecodiesel with the 33 gal. tank, and since you will order it with the features you want while evading the ones you don't, there will be no regrets nor buyer's remorse.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those mpg numbers sound pretty good. I usually average between 17-19mpg with my hemi, commuting back and forth to work. So I would think 27+ could be doable for me with the eco d. I would love to find a eco diesel with the 33 gallon tank. That would save me even more trips to the gas station. Doing a search, I can't find that combo anywhere near me.

Taking mpg out of the equation. As far as driving impressions, do you prefer driving one over the other, as far as hemi vs ed? Is there much difference, or pros and cons to each? Or would you say they are comparable enough where it's basically a coin toss.
I drive a minimum of 60 miles per day, so this answer takes that into account. I still believe that our driving situation will dictate what to get. If a lot of short, low mileage trips are what you do, then it will cause the diesel to need a lot of regens to clean the dpf (burning more fuel in the process).

The hemi had decent power when passing people, but overall, caused me to baby it to get the mpg numbers I got. The 15.2mpg I mentioned was babying it with 33” tires. I did like the simplicity of the hemi and the fact that I didn’t have to add any additives to the fuel during fillups. I have concerns about the longevity of the diesel engine, and it’s a guarantee that emissions components will eventually fail. However, the hemi engine has it’s own set of problems and makes long term reliability (of the engine itself, not associated control components) a wash.

I like the diesel a lot more now that I added a tuner to it. I don’t have to baby it like I did the hemi to get good MPG numbers. It felt slower before the tuner, but now feels just as fast as the hemi when doing highway speed pulls to pass vehicles.

People will complain that maintenance costs more than the hemi, and that’s simply not true if using aftermarket filters/oil. The exception to this is the diesel fuel filter cost is higher b/c the hemi doesn’t have a fuel filter- it has a integrated strainer sock in the fuel pump.

I love forced induction vehicles for everyday driving, so I love the on-road manners of the ecodiesel. I don’t like the tuning of the engine and trans for the hemi. It feels wrong to me.

Overall, it depends on your intended use. Neither is a perfect solution. To me, the ecodiesel edges ahead because I hate paying for fuel. However, that will bite me later if I keep the truck past 150k miles with a $4k dpf replacement and potential egr replacement. It’s pretty close to a wash if looking at it from a long term perspective.

70runner

Reaction score
Don't forget the GDE Tune on the Ecodiesel. It will get you 305 HP, 560ft/lbs of torque, and with the trans tune another 7-10% better fuel Mileage.
Pls elaborate, is there a thread about the trans tune?

RedFred

Reaction score
Question, is dpf replacement a thing? From the little research I did (not RAM specific), some say that it should last the life of the vehicle? If not, what is the life expectancy?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question, is dpf replacement a thing? From the little research I did (not RAM specific), some say that it should last the life of the vehicle? If not, what is the life expectancy?
The warranty on many of the emissions components is extended out pretty far, I don’t have the specifics right now but I’m sure someone else has the warranty book available.

It’s like anything else, for some it’ll outlast the vehicle and for others it’ll require replacement. I think it has more to do with driving style as that will affect the soot load and how often a regen is required. There aren’t any pre determined service intervals for manually cleaning or replacing the dpf.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pls elaborate, is there a thread about the trans tune?
When I got the Tune installed, they asked if I wanted the Trans Tune too. I said yes as it didn't cost anything more at the time.
One thing is, if you take it to the dealer, reflash the stock Trans Tune. If the Dealer tries to Update it, it could brick the Trans Module.
GDE includes the Trans Flash Tool with the Tune.

The Dealer over wrote my Engine Tune when they Reflashed the PCM Module trying to get some other stuff communicating. I am
Trying to get a Spare PCM that I can swap out before going to the Dealer next time. Very difficult with the Chip Shortage.

Malodave

RedFred

Reaction score
Going forward, if I do end up with an eco-diesel, I will take my chances and consider the DPF a non factor. Most of my driving is going back and forth to work, which is at minimum a 45 minute easy drive each way. Unless I start hearing horror stories on the various forums, I am going to assume the DPF should last the life span of the truck or at the least, the extent of my ownership.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going forward, if I do end up with an eco-diesel, I will take my chances and consider the DPF a non factor. Most of my driving is going back and forth to work, which is at minimum a 45 minute easy drive each way. Unless I start hearing horror stories on the various forums, I am going to assume the DPF should last the life span of the truck or at the least, the extent of my ownership.
On older cars you could drive with the CEL forever. This truck WILL brick itself to keep you from doing that.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this a must-do? Are most guys using an additive at fill up? I never heard about lubricity additive.
Yes.
ULSD is ultra low sulfur diesel. It's all that's allowed for sale in the US. The sulfur provided lubricity. Without it, the fuel is very astringent.

There is a HUGE debate about which types of lubricity/cetane boost to use...but there's no debate that adding it is very beneficial to the long-term health of you engine.

FWIW, I use a both Power Service and AMSOIL products (various diesels). There are a wide variety available. Hit a forum search and read up on 'em.

RedFred

Reaction score
On older cars you could drive with the CEL forever. This truck WILL brick itself to keep you from doing that.

I have no plans to drive around with a CEL. If there is an issue, I would get it fixed. I'm just saying, hopefully there is never a need to replace the DPF.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I mean is on older cars if the DPF or cat or a o2 sensor failed you could drive them. These will start a countdown and then will not start anymore. Same if you run out of DEF.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I mean is on older cars if the DPF or cat or a o2 sensor failed you could drive them. These will start a countdown and then will not start anymore. Same if you run out of DEF.
That’s what happened with my def level sensor, truck was reporting less than 1/8th of a tank with limited range until it will not restart, even tho the tank was full with fresh DEF.

Mileage until it was disabled never changed tho, as the sensor kept reporting 1/8 tank. Truck was taken off the road by the dealer as they didn’t want to leave me stranded. No simple way to bypass a sensor on these trucks unfortunately.

RedFred

Reaction score

Understood. Yeah, sometimes I miss the good old days. (y)

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what happened with my def level sensor, truck was reporting less than 1/8th of a tank with limited range until it will not restart, even tho the tank was full with fresh DEF.

Mileage until it was disabled never changed tho, as the sensor kept reporting 1/8 tank. Truck was taken off the road by the dealer as they didn’t want to leave me stranded. No simple way to bypass a sensor on these trucks unfortunately.
I’m trying to find out who has the most mileage on their odometer with the Ecodiesel, I remember you having over 70,000 km before you traded for a 2022.
I’m at 61,000km (38,000 miles) on my 2020 Rebel, problem free.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m trying to find out who has the most mileage on their odometer with the Ecodiesel, I remember you having over 70,000 km before you traded for a 2022.
Yep I was just under 75000km, traded in and made a profit. Good timing I guess.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I was just under 75000km, traded in and made a profit. Good timing I guess.
Especially since used car values tanked recently.

Hawkpilot

Reaction score
I have 54,000+ miles on a 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Currently have an engine light on for the #4 glowplug. Waiting for dealer to receive the part. Starts rough but smooths out in less than a minute. Only other issue was a NOX sensor that went out at about 34,000 miles. Replaced under warranty. No other issues. Really like my truck!!!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 54,000+ miles on a 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Currently have an engine light on for the #4 glowplug. Waiting for dealer to receive the part. Starts rough but smooths out in less than a minute. Only other issue was a NOX sensor that went out at about 34,000 miles. Replaced under warranty. No other issues. Really like my truck!!!
Good to hear that you like your truck, and it will be fixed, I really like mine too!

Rolled past 64,000km = 40,000 miles yesterday. Still going excellent.

Are you in the northern states? For the glow plugs to go on. Or do the glow plugs always go on for cold engines?

Users who are viewing this thread