5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any high mileage diesels, how are they holding up?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question, is dpf replacement a thing? From the little research I did (not RAM specific), some say that it should last the life of the vehicle? If not, what is the life expectancy?
It is. You could probably strike up a conversation with a service manager and see if they could give a rundown of the average mileage they replace dpf. For mileage before replacing, a good estimate is 150,000 miles. I’ve been told by a fleet manager that trying to clean it usually result in it failing, so replacement is a better option (for their 3500 trucks). I haven’t had any reason to not see that as a true statement, but I’m just a one guy.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is. You could probably strike up a conversation with a service manager and see if they could give a rundown of the average mileage they replace dpf. For mileage before replacing, a good estimate is 150,000 miles. I’ve been told by a fleet manager that trying to clean it usually result in it failing, so replacement is a better option (for their 3500 trucks). I haven’t had any reason to not see that as a true statement, but I’m just a one guy.
Yeah and they aren't really designed to be serviceable either. On a semi or larger truck it's a serviceable canister you can pop in and out in minutes. It's an engine out/cab off thing on these trucks.

tom318

Reaction score
I'm fast approaching 61k miles and have a 900mile trip this weekend. So far so good. I had a CEL for NoX sensor but I reset it and it never came back, around 55k miles. Curios on what they say about the DPF and also the cost.....I imagine its high. What causes the need for a new DPF, check engine light I'm assuming? I've had VW TDIs in the past and only ran one up to about 160k miles before they bought it back and never needed a DPF.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm fast approaching 61k miles and have a 900mile trip this weekend. So far so good. I had a CEL for NoX sensor but I reset it and it never came back, around 55k miles. Curios on what they say about the DPF and also the cost.....I imagine its high. What causes the need for a new DPF, check engine light I'm assuming? I've had VW TDIs in the past and only ran one up to about 160k miles before they bought it back and never needed a DPF.
The dpf slowly fills with unburnable ash. Once it passes a threshold where a regen won't reduce soot levels it needs to be replaced. It wouldn't surprise me on these trucks if the computer decided to brick the truck for you like it will if you run out of DEF.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both a '20 with EcoD and '22 with Hemi. For me I just can't see the economics of the diesel in this application. Driving both trucks in the same environment, doing the same tasks, in the same weather, on the same roads I hand calculated a 4 MPG advantage for the diesel. BUT, diesel fuel is $5.20 and gasoline is $3.30, so the Hemi saves money with each fill-up. The Hemi also doesn't need $45 oil filters, $45 fuel filters, DEF, etc. And, the Hemi was $2k less upfront cost. And no $12k fuel system to fret over with the Hemi. So there is money to be saved with the gas engine.

Then when it comes time to tow I find that both engines will use gears 5-8 exclusively on the highway while hauling and towing.

I did have the infamous timing cover oil leak with the EcoD. So far, Hemi has been flawless.

So I just couldn't justify another diesel this time around and went gas and after several months I'm still happy I did.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both a '20 with EcoD and '22 with Hemi. For me I just can't see the economics of the diesel in this application. Driving both trucks in the same environment, doing the same tasks, in the same weather, on the same roads I hand calculated a 4 MPG advantage for the diesel. BUT, diesel fuel is $5.20 and gasoline is $3.30, so the Hemi saves money with each fill-up. The Hemi also doesn't need $45 oil filters, $45 fuel filters, DEF, etc. And, the Hemi was $2k less upfront cost. And no $12k fuel system to fret over with the Hemi. So there is money to be saved with the gas engine.

Then when it comes time to tow I find that both engines will use gears 5-8 exclusively on the highway while hauling and towing.

I did have the infamous timing cover oil leak with the EcoD. So far, Hemi has been flawless.

So I just couldn't justify another diesel this time around and went gas and after several months I'm still happy I did.

For me, the economics were "overall cost is roughly the same", so I chose the one that I find more enjoyable to drive.

The ED is 2 - 5 cents per mile cheaper, just comparing fuel and DEF (depending on driving conditions and on that day's cost of fuel). Maintenance will eat up that 2 - 5 cents per mile. I bought used. So, all in all, cost is about the same, for me, as owning and driving a Hemi. Roughly.

I like driving the ED better. I like the way it drives. I like how quiet it is. I like that I can do like I did this past weekend and do a 4 day trip up to NC to go diving and drive all the way there and back (600-some miles, all totaled) and never have to get fuel. I like that for normal driving I now only have to fill up every 2 weeks or so, instead of once a week.

Driving a diesel is not saving me money. But, it's not really costing me money, either, and I like it better. Which is actually worth a fair bit, to me.

Hawkpilot

Reaction score
Good to hear that you like your truck, and it will be fixed, I really like mine too!

Rolled past 64,000km = 40,000 miles yesterday. Still going excellent.

Are you in the northern states? For the glow plugs to go on. Or do the glow plugs always go on for cold engines?
I’m in Montana but doesn’t seem to have to be too cold for glowplugs to be necessary for a smooth start. It’s been 55 F and engine seems to start rough for about 20-30 seconds due to only 1 inop glowplug.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had a diesel NOT need a glowplug to start, regardless of the temperature. (From back in the day of advance (or retard) the key until the light goes out (or you see the actual wire glow red), then turn to "start". (Or, do it twice if it's really cold.)) Sure, if just one or two cylinders had bad glowplugs, you could still get the engine to turn over.

And, those old manual glowplug diesels always ran a bit rough in the cold until they'd warmed up.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in Montana but doesn’t seem to have to be too cold for glowplugs to be necessary for a smooth start. It’s been 55 F and engine seems to start rough for about 20-30 seconds due to only 1 inop glowplug.
Makes sense for the glow plugs, I have a BX2370 Kubota tractor that I have to use the glow plugs before starting even in the summer or else it turns a longer time before starting. I also have the 55” front mount snowblower for the winter. Don’t miss my sears tractor.

Attachments

• 397582B7-D1A5-40BE-93A5-CED32342B223.jpeg
    397582B7-D1A5-40BE-93A5-CED32342B223.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 10
  • B3EC72A5-1725-48C7-AA1A-FDD1EF4C6806.jpeg
    B3EC72A5-1725-48C7-AA1A-FDD1EF4C6806.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: c3k

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never seen the glowplugs light on my EcoD. I also extremely rarely use them on my Tractor ( deere 4105 with a 300cx loader ). In 10 years, I've probably pushed the ignition in for them 3 times.

In Florida, it's never cold here, usually hot and humid as hell.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's a very low difference.

I had a 2019 Limited Hemi and now have a 2020 Limited Ecodiesel, both 3.92.

I went from about a 17mpg average in the Hemi to 26-27mpg average in the Ecodiesel. I do almost all highway driving.

My ecodiesel is at 77,000km and I live in Canada. It's been flawless so far and has seen temps as low as -30°C.

I change the oil every 10-12,000km and fuel filter every other oil change.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a very low difference.

I had a 2019 Limited Hemi and now have a 2020 Limited Ecodiesel, both 3.92.

I went from about a 17mpg average in the Hemi to 26-27mpg average in the Ecodiesel. I do almost all highway driving.

My ecodiesel is at 77,000km and I live in Canada. It's been flawless so far and has seen temps as low as -30°C.

I change the oil every 10-12,000km and fuel filter every other oil change.

I got similar- ~15 in the hemi over 10k miles and ~27 in the ecodiesel over 19k mi.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You’re the exception of everybody by having a 4 mpg difference between the Hemi and the Ecodiesel, I also had the Hemi and for my Ecodiesel Rebel to achieve comparable low mpg was if I was towing a 5,000lbs flatbed trailer.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last diesel was a 78 VW Rabbit 2D. That thing took me through high school, army time and then university. Sold it with 690,000 kms. Little bastard was tough but sucked out. And glow plugs were my big issue with it for some reason. And the occasional run away engine on the highway. Lol. Always interesting.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ED towing my 7x16 enclosed snowmobile trailer gets better mileage than my Hemi did empty.
2fdf816f8912fff8ae56bc124cf16687.jpg

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re the exception of everybody by having a 4 mpg difference between the Hemi and the Ecodiesel, I also had the Hemi and for my Ecodiesel Rebel to achieve comparable low mpg was if I was towing a 5,000lbs flatbed trailer.

Actually, my results were spot-on. There are 45.9 million combined miles of owner data in Fuelly now with the EcoDiesel and the average is 22 MPG. I was seeing 20-21 but I had a slightly larger than stock tire, so pretty much perfectly in-line with what is to be expected.

The Hemi is rated 17 without eTorque, 19 with it, so figure an average of 18. Mine was right on what the window sticker showed me all summer. So, about a 4 MPG loss, which also is backed up in the Fuelly.com owner data.

But, what I'm really talking about is towing MPG and at times there's no difference at all. I would easily see 8-11 MPG towing at about 75% capacity with the EcoDiesel, and that's no better than a gas engine at all. This, too, matches the experience of the guys at the dedicated EcoDiesel forum.

Here's how 2020 EcoDiesels specifically are fairing, since that's what model year mine was:

EcoDMileage.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness, people can input inaccurate numbers into fuelly and get whatever results they want.

Users who are viewing this thread