5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any final verdict on whether air suspension ride is actually better than coil suspension?

jastevenson

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed previously, but I'd like to see if there are any new opinions or revised opinions on this matter now that the forum has grown and people have had more time to spend in their trucks.

Any thoughts on which one has the most comfortable ride in day-to-day driving (surface streets highways). I am looking for the softest ride possible due to some neck/spine issues that I have, so it really matters to me.

Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed previously, but I'd like to see if there are any new opinions or revised opinions on this matter now that the forum has grown and people have had more time to spend in their trucks.

Any thoughts on which one has the most comfortable ride in day-to-day driving (surface streets highways). I am looking for the softest ride possible due to some neck/spine issues that I have, so it really matters to me.

Thanks!
Both excellent, as discussed and debated ad nauseum. My suggestion: Drive both and decide accordingly!

Ramit71

Reaction score
I prefer the air suspension. Automatically levels your truck when you add weight and it takes away nearly all the roll going around corners. Still rides like a cloud.

cra1g

Reaction score
I once had a '78 Lincoln that had a nicer ride than my air-suspension Ram, but other than that, I don't think I've been in a nicer-riding vehicle of any kind, let alone trucks.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
The air suspension is absolutely wonderful when it works right. You get load leveling, less body roll on turns, and it seems to dampen better as well. Unfortunately, it was the one thing that kept having problems on my Grand Cherokee Summit, so I opted to go without it when I bought my RAM.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Despite it being mentioned multiple places, there is no cornering benefit to the air suspension...

Drive both trucks and see which one is the most comfortable to you. The options that will make the biggest impact on your ride quality are shock choice (Off Road Group or not) and wheel and tire package. The air ride trucks will ride very similar to a coil spring truck outfitted comparably. And, if anything, the air ride truck will wallow a bit more in the corners than the coil trucks, but only slightly.

Fidomac

Reaction score

Thanks!
Air ride can be choppy at low speed .... I don't tow so leveling is not an advantage to me ...... I think if I had it to do over again I would go with the regular suspension, but that wasn't available on the Limited......one additional note: Tire size and sidewall height make a huge difference.... I changed my tires from 285 45 22s to 275 50 22s and the ride improved at least 50%

Last edited:

Ramit71

Reaction score
Despite it being mentioned multiple places, there is no cornering benefit to the air suspension...

Drive both trucks and see which one is the most comfortable to you. The options that will make the biggest impact on your ride quality are shock choice (Off Road Group or not) and wheel and tire package. The air ride trucks will ride very similar to a coil spring truck outfitted comparably. And, if anything, the air ride truck will wallow a bit more in the corners than the coil trucks, but only slightly.
Body roll is even mentioned on the ram air suspension as a benefit. So, yes it does help in Corning. I can literally hear the compressor when taking a long corner like a clover leaf.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve read someone say that the air suspension was bad off road. Not sure if they have a bad truck or whether that’s normal for these trucks. I know you said you drive paved roads mostly but even those who don’t do traditional off roading might drive on some tougher roads.

James Cole

Reaction score
I am wondering if its more rugged than the regular suspension, potholes here are huuuuge and do at times take them at high speed...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if its more rugged than the regular suspension, potholes here are huuuuge and do at times take them at high speed...
I can’t speak for durability, but the air suspension really shines at taking the “big” hits (e.g. rough railroad crossings, big dips, etc.).

Firebird

Reaction score
Having owned both, they are equally as comfortable.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Air ride can be choppy at low speed .... I don't I don't tow so leveling is not an advantage to me ...... I think if I had it to do over again I would go with the regular suspension, but that wasn't available on the Limited......one additional note: Tire size and sidewall height make a huge difference.... I changed my tires from 285 45 22s to 275 50 22s and the ride improved at least 50%
Really, that's a bit of a surprise. I could see going from 22's to 20's helping. Maybe later on there will be taller profile 22's with more sidewall to absorb/flex.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the 4-corner for the +/- Ride height .. Raise/Lower depending on where you are driving. Neat concept/idea.
I drove both with and without as well.

Tim N

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Body roll is even mentioned on the ram air suspension as a benefit. So, yes it does help in Corning. I can literally hear the compressor when taking a long corner like a clover leaf.

They can market it however they want, but the air suspension (in our trucks) does not compensate for corners in any special manner. The spring rate in a coil is linear (actually the DT's are progressive, so it's actually a little bit parabolic) and the spring rate under compression in an air bag is inversely proportional to the decrease in volume of the bag, so minor bumps and light road forces such as cornering are perceived as smoother, because of the more supple "spring rate" at the middle of the airbags travel, and larger bumps such as speed bumps and potholes can actually feel worse in the air ride trucks due to the excessive "spring rate" under high compression of the bags.

And I've never once been able to hear my air ride compressor from inside the vehicle, even when stopped and playing with the height settings, and especially not when driving. The Ram website mentions decreased body roll in Aero mode due to the lowered right height.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
They can market it however they want, but the air suspension (in our trucks) does not compensate for corners in any special manner. The spring rate in a coil is linear (actually the DT's are progressive, so it's actually a little bit parabolic) and the spring rate under compression in an air bag is inversely proportional to the decrease in volume of the bag, so minor bumps and light road forces such as cornering are perceived as smoother, because of the more supple "spring rate" at the middle of the airbags travel, and larger bumps such as speed bumps and potholes can actually feel worse in the air ride trucks due to the excessive "spring rate" under high compression of the bags.

And I've never once been able to hear my air ride compressor from inside the vehicle, even when stopped and playing with the height settings, and especially not when driving. The Ram website mentions decreased body roll in Aero mode due to the lowered right height.
While admittedly I didn't really understand any of that :unsure: , I do think that the softer stock rear sway bar could be replaced with one like Hellwig has, and that could decrease body roll.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While admittedly I didn't really understand any of that :unsure: , I do think that the softer stock rear sway bar could be replaced with one like Hellwig has, and that could decrease body roll.

Yeah, personally, I'd trade just a little smoothness for less body roll on the Ram. My Tundra rode a little stiffer but was solid as a rock in the corners when towing, the Ram is just a bit soft for my taste. But not a deal breaker at all, just noticing the differences.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Really, that's a bit of a surprise. I could see going from 22's to 20's helping. Maybe later on there will be taller profile 22's with more sidewall to absorb/flex.
A little bit more sidewall on the 50 series tires i guess...it was very noticeable

Users who are viewing this thread