5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Experience with P0401

n8zcc

Reaction score
In a couple of weeks, my 2022 ED will celebrate its second birthday and complete a second year of zero issues outside of the HPFP recall. On the way home today, I got a check engine light and the code reader shows only one code, P0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation “A” Flow Insufficient). Two weeks ago, the truck was in for the high-pressure fuel pump recall. Now I get a check engine light after two years of issue-free service.

I don't know much about these engines, any chance the HPFP replacement could have triggered an EGR issue? I've made an appointment to take it in on the 9th and from what I'm reading about the DTC I should not drive the truck.

Thanks

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi there! Thank you for reaching out to us. We’d love to see what we can do to help. Please private message us with your VIN and current mileage, so we can take a further look.

Chris,
Ram Cares

planeview

Reaction score
What did they say? I had a 2020 that had P0407 (EGR position sensor B low input) that I continued to drive because parts were back ordered then spent $3600 replacing the EGR cooler and temperature and pressure sensors that went bad and it still didn’t fix the problem.

I was out of the 3 year 36k warranty by a few thousand miles and emissions isn’t covered under powertrain. Service advisor said run don’t walk away from these ecodiesel engines. Once they have emission problems he’s seen people spend over $10k trying to fix them without results. I sold the truck last week. Ram Cares was worthless. Good luck!

n8zcc

Reaction score
What did they say?
@RamCares

I got my truck back last Friday, they had for two days and did not find a cause why the P0401 code was set. I'm going to stick with my story of something happened when they replaced the HPFP that caused the DTC to get set. I can't prove that nor do I care, I'm more concerned it doesn't happen again. When you experience a fault and they can't explain what caused it, it is time to be concerned.

I was driving home when I felt the truck hesitate, then it became lethargic to throttle input, then I heard a chime and then the check engine lite. When I got home a few miles later, I parked it and did not drive it again until my service appointment. When I drove to the dealer, it ran fine, just like always, but the check engine light remained on.

Thanks for your offer Ram Care but there isn't anything for you to do unless you would like to publish the criteria that would cause a P0401 DTC to be set.

1705240302270.png

Last edited:

planeview

Reaction score
Glad it seems like the CEL went away for you! I'd still think about getting the extended warranty if you are still eligible and plan to keep the truck for awhile. I've had multiple service advisors tell me the emissions systems on these truck are ticking time bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread