5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin vs Electronic Locking Rear

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the 8spd the truck will fly in 4 low. I think it will run up to 55mph.

My 6spd hit 40 this past weekend while my son and I fooled around on forest roads.
I mean...what on earth would someone be doing that would require an eLocker while going 40 mph in 4 Lo?!

323F2R

Reaction score
What mechanism causes the e-locker to disengage at 20 mph or whatever speed, and then re-engage the e-locker as the truck slows. Is their a sensor monitoring the driveline or ?

What would you think of an aftermarket e-locker?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, yes. ELocker required? Why?
To keep both back tires digging and propelling that 7000lb beast through the dirt

It wouldnt be required.. But it makes it better.

Thw one pic ia a 2017 rebel...so it would not have the eLocker. But I bet it wished it did

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Took a few attempts however the hill that is conquered by this Power Wagon is simply amazing

stronbl

Reaction score
Thanks all. Good info. I didn't know about the 40 mph in 4L. I can see in moderate to deep snow where the e-locker in 4L could be helpful and nice to have up to 40 mph. Without this knowledge I would have just used 4H and then saw e-locker disengage and then said to myself why didn't I get just the anti-spin. But now I'm actually glad I got the e-locker. Thanks again for all the insights.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's actually a review video out there with a Ram engineer riding / driving a Rebel on a closed course who endorsed using 4Lo specifically because they don't plan to do more than 55, but were in a high torque need off road on this demo track.

I figure whenever I know I'm keeping it under 55 and torque is needed, 4Lo for sure; the motor will work less hard to put down the same 25-35mph I expect off road

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th gen 1500 OE anti spin is hardly worth the $, as there is no preload, and so only works when there’s some resistance. Thus, hardly works at all and not when I would want it to...
Hmmm. I've had two on 2wd trucks and they both worked real well for me. On snowy roads it most certainly provided increased traction and I rarely carried any weight.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045590 miles.

Reactions: cj7

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What mechanism causes the e-locker to disengage at 20 mph or whatever speed, and then re-engage the e-locker as the truck slows. Is their a sensor monitoring the driveline or ?

What would you think of an aftermarket e-locker?
Speed.

Everything is in the truck's computers. Once the speed crosses the programmed threshold then the truck locks/unlocks the axle.

An aftermarket one would obviously be controlled by you (a switch) so you could lock/unlock it at your discretion.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've had two on 2wd trucks and they both worked real well for me. On snowy roads it most certainly provided increased traction and I rarely carried any weight.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045590 miles.
I imagine it works well in some circumstances, and glad it worksd for you. Just seems this version is a little loose and sloppy. Better than nothing, but not great. Next time I’ll put the 445$ towards an aftermarket Torsen or TruTrac.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To keep both back tires digging and propelling that 7000lb beast through the dirt

It wouldnt be required.. But it makes it better.

Thw one pic ia a 2017 rebel...so it would not have the eLocker. But I bet it wished it did
Landing at an angle wouldn't be good with that locker engaged, though. And while I LOVE the snow videos shared by @Scram1500, we're looking at about what...10 mph in the first one? He's even slower in the second one, although his axle might be spinning 40 mph... :)

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure the speedometer was higher lol

A little recalibration with a tazer and it will be haha

@OP though, if you're in florida and not actively going off road, the anti-spin is probably a better choice as a 'set it and forget it' - there's a really very good video of a ram test at some loading docks with all axle types driving across angled ramp terrain. worth a watch to prove that each sytem is good in its own way

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Anyone out there making a module to over ride some of these settings, such as elocker disengages above 25 mph or speed restrictions on the air suspension heights?

323F2R

Reaction score
Speed.

Everything is in the truck's computers. Once the speed crosses the programmed threshold then the truck locks/unlocks the axle.

An aftermarket one would obviously be controlled by you (a switch) so you could lock/unlock it at your discretion.
So does the aftermarket locker require a software flash? I was sure hoping I could use this truck manually shifting the gears in soft sand and manually switching the lockers. If it must be flashed, what does that provide for their operation?

Also, I’m confused is a 2020 1500 Classic with the the Hemi a DT?

I’m learning slow. Thank you for any clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread