5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin vs Electronic Locking Rear

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
Just like the 3:21 rear vs the 3:92, finding existing inventory with an Electronic Locking Rear Axle seems impossible. Was the difference not explained properly to me or am I missing something? I grew up with Posi-Traction rear ends so my thinking revolves around that. The way the salesman explained these newer units the Anti-Spin is like ABS. If one side slips the other engages, whereas with the Electronic you can switch on the locker as needed when needed, or off when not. Like trying to locate a Ram here in Florida with the 3:21 rear, it seems everything out there is equipped with the Anti-Spin. Any suggestions?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The anti spin is posi traction. It works the same way. Your posi traction also had to slip to engage the other wheel. Posi traction...limited slip...anti spin...they are all the same.

The eLocker electronically locks the 2 together.

The eLocker can be had in a 2wd truck...but it is usually skipped over.

The Rebel and Off road group trucks come standard with it.

You can get a 2wd Rebel also.

Sometimes when you want a specific item...you just have to order it

The 5th Gen is the first time RAM offered the eLocker...so some dealers may not even think about it at all when ordering stock.

The eLocker is only available in 3.92. Unless you order a ORG truck...then you can get it in 3.21

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
The anti spin is posi traction. It works the same way. Your posi traction also had to slip to engage the other wheel. Posi traction...limited slip...anti spin...they are all the same.

The eLocker electronically locks the 2 together.

The eLocker can be had in a 2wd truck...but it is usually skipped over.

The Rebel and Off road group trucks come standard with it.

You can get a 2wd Rebel also.

Sometimes when you want a specific item...you just have to order it

The 5th Gen is the first time RAM offered the eLocker...so some dealers may not even think about it at all when ordering stock.

The eLocker is only available in 3.92. Unless you order a ORG truck...then you can get it in 3.21
Did a potential build on a 2021 Limited 4wd today with 3:21 rear & Electronic Locking Rear. Not seeing the ELR on any existing inventory i9n 250 miles made me question the choice.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th gen 1500 OE anti spin is hardly worth the $, as there is no preload, and so only works when there’s some resistance. Thus, hardly works at all and not when I would want it to...

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
5th gen 1500 OE anti spin is hardly worth the $, as there is no preload, and so only works when there’s some resistance. Thus, hardly works at all and not when I would want it to...
So in your opinion the Electronic Locking is as just as good or better?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately the e-locker disengages above 25 mph, so isn't as useful as the anti-spin in daily driving
I've seen 20 MPH for 2WD, 4 Hi, and 4 AUTO. 40 MPH in 4WD Lo.

Regardless, this is the reason why I opted for the anti-spin over the locker as well.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it was my initial thought as well, that not being active over 25mph would make elocker less useful. But the more I think about when I would need it, it’s icy or muddy conditions at low speed. Being able to turn it on then, as opppsed to hoping there’s enough friction to get the anti spin to kick in, now seems like my better option. The two times it might have done me some good, I got wheel spin, but no anti. Went 4wd and done.

So while I paid for the antispin on this truck, the next time (if Mopar and the same cheap anti-spin), I’ll go e-locker.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd like the LSD to lock up a little better but it is certainly better than my last Ram with an open diff. Maybe a few more ounces of friction modifier will help the lock up, but could cause a wheel to drag while making sharp turns so it's a trade off

Reactions: cj7

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe its even in the manual somewhere... if the anti-spin isn't helping, apply a tiny bit of brakes. This should generate enough friction to trigger it to do its thing.

If the e-locker was more like 40-ish MPH across the board, rather than just 4 Low, I may have gone with it instead. I'm not asking for it to be available all the time no matter the speed, but the thresholds they put on it now are too low.

dandar

Reaction score
LSD transfers torque from slipping wheel to non-slipping wheel. If you're rock crawling and a wheel is in the air, there is no torque to transfer and only the wheel that's in the air is spinning. That is why off road packages have wheel locker and it works under 20mph. For the street, LSD is the better option even if there is no preload. In fact it's better that there is no preload because you would have to replace the lsd clutch every other oil change.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LSD transfers torque from slipping wheel to non-slipping wheel. If you're rock crawling and a wheel is in the air, there is no torque to transfer and only the wheel that's in the air is spinning. That is why off road packages have wheel locker and it works under 20mph. For the street, LSD is the better option even if there is no preload. In fact it's better that there is no preload because you would have to replace the lsd clutch every other oil change.
If it worked well enough to limit slip...it works, just not well enough.
if a Torsten was an option, I’d do that.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe its even in the manual somewhere... if the anti-spin isn't helping, apply a tiny bit of brakes. This should generate enough friction to trigger it to do its thing.

If the e-locker was more like 40-ish MPH across the board, rather than just 4 Low, I may have gone with it instead. I'm not asking for it to be available all the time no matter the speed, but the thresholds they put on it now are too low.
E-locker works in any drive configuration below 25 mph, although I do wish it would stay engaged up to 40 mph. It seems like the development team of engineers got it stuck in their head that the only time anyone would use the e-locker is rock crawling. Plenty of times I've been in less rough terrain (trails, large washes in the desert) that I'm doing 30-35 mph for a stretch and would like to not have the e-locker drop out, especially in the soft desert sand.

I use it all the time in the rain as it doesn't take much to get rear wheelspin in the wet:

- Engage e-locker at the red light
- Accelerate when the light turns green
- Turn off the e-locker after my dash tells me the e-locker is disengaged when I go above 25 mph.

I could use 4WD AUTO but that's more cumbersome to engage the axles and transfer case just for 15-20 seconds of additional traction.

I off-road so wanted the ORG and e-locker is the only option. As mentioned you need resistance on the spinning wheel to engage the anti-spin and I'm not interested in riding the brakes when the wheel is hanging or I'm trying to go through sand. Even without the ORG I would have gotten an e-locker over anti-spin.

stronbl

Reaction score
I have e-locker on my 2020 Limited 4x4. Sort of wish I had anti-spin (which I had on my original order configuration but changed it). Since I will do very little 4L driving, I now think the anti-spin would have been the better choice for me. I had thought the e-lock was more akin to traction control lock and could be engaged at any speed - now I know that's not the case. But if you really need locked rear axle then I suppose e-lock is the way to go.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have e-locker on my 2020 Limited 4x4. Sort of wish I had anti-spin (which I had on my original order configuration but changed it). Since I will do very little 4L driving, I now think the anti-spin would have been the better choice for me. I had thought the e-lock was more akin to traction control lock and could be engaged at any speed - now I know that's not the case. But if you really need locked rear axle then I suppose e-lock is the way to go.
You can lock your rear axle in any drive configuration under 25 mph (2WD, 4HI, 4LO, 4AUTO).

The e-locker is independent of the drivetrain.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can lock your rear axle in any drive configuration under 25 mph (2WD, 4HI, 4LO, 4AUTO).

The e-locker is independent of the drivetrain.
For all modes other than 4 LO, ... under 20mph to engage, unlocks automatically at 25 mph.

for 4 LO, can engage under 40 mph, stays locked until disengaged or shift out of 4 LO

cool thing is, in 2, 4A or 4H, once you go back under 20, if you haven’t pressed the button, it auto-locks again.

Users who are viewing this thread