5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Differential

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
So you lowered the rear of your truck and put A/T tires on your 4wd, got stuck driving in a place you didn't belong with that configuration and are complaining about no factory tow hooks? Tow hooks are part of the Off Road Package.
I don’t have the ORG and I have hooks…. I thought all these trucks came with front hooks. That’s silly that they don’t.

part of owning a 4x4 is doing stupid **** and figuring out what it’s capable of…. Now he knows and now he’s gonna spend some $$ to upgrade. Good for him….

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily defending anyone, but haven't we all taken a truck somewhere we shouldn't have, at least once? :rolleyes: I don't generally use my truck for heavy offroading, but until I owned this one it never occurred to me that a 4x4 truck wouldn't just come with hooks
For me, this is the first 4wd truck I have ever owned. And I grew up in Midwest. My dad was a firm believer that if he couldn't get there with RWD he didn't need to be there. Ive never gotten stuck and needed towed/pulled out. It I've always been more of a higher performance drag racing guy. Even take my Ram to drag strip.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, this is the first 4wd truck I have ever owned. And I grew up in Midwest. My dad was a firm believer that if he couldn't get there with RWD he didn't need to be there. Ive never gotten stuck and needed towed/pulled out. It I've always been more of a higher performance drag racing guy. Even take my Ram to drag strip.
My dad always had a similar philosophy. Funny thing, the only 4wd truck he ever owned was the first one I got stuck - sunk it in an anode bed :LOL:. Thank God that day for towhooks and a comealong!!

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I’m sure most guys here have gotten stuck doing dumber sh it. 4Wd or not. I know I have. I honestly believe the reason I’m a good winter driver is from hooning around drifting and bag driving in parking lots and on the farm when I was a kid. I find it second nature correcting an accidental slide or navigating challenging snow or mud now. As long as you’re not at risk of hurting anyone else or really hurting yourself it’s usually great learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
This feature sucks. Today I wanted all the rpm and wheel spin i could get. I switched to 4 high and turned off the traction control. The traction control light on the dash still lit off and killed my drive on some hill climbs despite having the pedal on the floor. Also it started smelling hot. I don't know how to make this digital crap turn off so my truck will do truck stuff. Luckily a guy with a winch showed up an hour later. I was way off the beaten path. Also, who sells a 4x4 with no front tow hooks!? I'll be buying some tow hooks. View attachment 115518

Lol you wouldn’t have gotten out of there with or without it. You high centered on the snow.

You need a lifted truck with larger / better tires to plow through crap that deep.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Not necessarily defending anyone, but haven't we all taken a truck somewhere we shouldn't have, at least once? :rolleyes: I don't generally use my truck for heavy offroading, but until I owned this one it never occurred to me that a 4x4 truck wouldn't just come with hooks

Yep, when I was 18 years old and I didn't blame the truck.

squid013

Reaction score
Just come to a stop and do it. The screen will tell you what to do to get into 4lo. 4auto sucks for very low traction situations - by the time the diff senses slip you’re often too late. It’s great for around town in snow and rain - basically like an suv awd system. 4 Hi (lock) is better for very deep snow and mud, and yes turning traction control fully off is a must - but if you’re doing crawl speeds or really anything under 30mph in extremely poor traction then 4lo is amazing.

Don’t even bother with any of this with stock tires!

See if you had a power wagon, the computer nannies wouldnt kick in at all in 4 low and you could drive 65 or so in low gear

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure most guys here have gotten stuck doing dumber sh it. 4Wd or not. I know I have. I honestly believe the reason I’m a good winter driver is from hooning around drifting and bag driving in parking lots and on the farm when I was a kid. I find it second nature correcting an accidental slide or navigating challenging snow or mud now. As long as you’re not at risk of hurting anyone else or really hurting yourself it’s usually great learning.

Same, grew up in rural Nebraska in gravel roads and snow in winter. I rarely get into an accidental slide. Usually they are self induced for fun, and while it can freak out passengers, or others on the road, I'm in complete control of it. Had my wife get on me yesterday for "accelerating too hard" when he had freezing fog making roads icy. I was just hitting the gas to test the traction in the road. Easier to recover from rear wheels spinning, than hitting brakes and a four wheel slide

Johnny_H

Reaction score
See if you had a power wagon, the computer nannies wouldnt kick in at all in 4 low and you could drive 65 or so in low gear

Dude don’t tease me. I want a power wagon so bad, just can’t justify it as outside of towing I basically use my truck as a minivan.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dude don’t tease me. I want a power wagon so bad, just can’t justify it as outside of towing I basically use my truck as a minivan.

I almost bought this one yesterday.

Prices on used trucks are insane...so after looking at the trucks I have...i will spend that payment on gas. Screenshot_20211231-211319.png

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

In 4low they all turn off on our trucks as well. Just not 4 high

squid013

Reaction score

The power wagon is not a tow rig. Its the same capacity as a 1500

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Lol you wouldn’t have gotten out of there with or without it. You high centered on the snow.

You need a lifted truck with larger / better tires to plow through crap that deep.

Nah, that was where I got drug in a failed strap attempt. I actually made it a quarter mile past that spot, then backed back down to turn around, slipped off the crown and buried it. The real issue was not having factory front tow hooks on a 4x4 so I could get drug back forward onto the road crown. The snow was really wet and slick, you could make fresh tracks fine but once it got packed down it was treacherous. I've been up that mountain 100x in the snow, I didn't even take my motorcycle rack off it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Why didn’t you buy them when you bought the truck if you planned to take it off road?

Most 4wd vehicles don’t come with them unless you buy the optional off-road package.

I wouldn’t be doing much off-roading with a non orp ram anyway since there is no protection under it.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
So you lowered the rear of your truck and put A/T tires on your 4wd, got stuck driving in a place you didn't belong with that configuration and are complaining about no factory tow hooks? Tow hooks are part of the Off Road Package.
Why would I not belong there? Been up that same hill for years and years in less capable vehicles. Just didn't know how to generate wheelspin to keep momentum. Electronics killing wheel speed when in 4H locked and tc off made no sense to me. I drove offroad professionally for 5 summers in buggies on the ODNRA, it's not like I don't know how to rally these conditions. I know not everyone treats their city truck like I do, but I don't judge anyone for getting out and having fun with their stuff however they see fit! The guy in the Cherokee was stoked to rescue my dumb *** with his winch, everybody wins!

Now, the important question, black tow hooks.....or chrome?

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Why didn’t you buy them when you bought the truck if you planned to take it off road?

Most 4wd vehicles don’t come with them unless you buy the optional off-road package.

I wouldn’t be doing much off-roading with a non orp ram anyway since there is no protection under it.

Never looked, my last Ram was the same package, and it had hooks. Also I haven't been stuck offroad in many many years. No big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread