5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Differential

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
B
Why would I not belong there? Been up that same hill for years and years in less capable vehicles. Just didn't know how to generate wheelspin to keep momentum. Electronics killing wheel speed when in 4H locked and tc off made no sense to me. I drove offroad professionally for 5 summers in buggies on the ODNRA, it's not like I don't know how to rally these conditions. I know not everyone treats their city truck like I do, but I don't judge anyone for getting out and having fun with their stuff however they see fit! The guy in the Cherokee was stoked to rescue my dumb *** with his winch, everybody wins!

Now, the important question, black tow hooks.....or chrome?

Black...so the rust will remind you of the times you used them...lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would I not belong there? Been up that same hill for years and years in less capable vehicles. Just didn't know how to generate wheelspin to keep momentum. Electronics killing wheel speed when in 4H locked and tc off made no sense to me. I drove offroad professionally for 5 summers in buggies on the ODNRA, it's not like I don't know how to rally these conditions. I know not everyone treats their city truck like I do, but I don't judge anyone for getting out and having fun with their stuff however they see fit! The guy in the Cherokee was stoked to rescue my dumb *** with his winch, everybody wins!

You got stuck, blamed it on the truck. Meaning you feel the truck wasn't capable.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
You got stuck, blamed it on the truck. Meaning you feel the truck wasn't capable.

He’s fully justified blaming the truck when the TCS stopped his tires from spinning. I have to agree, even with TCS “fully off” my 2021 will not spin it’s tires nearly as much as my 2017. I can barely do donuts or 4 wheel drifts, my old truck could behave like a rally car if I wanted. My only advice is play around in a parking lot before you hit a big hill to get a sense of what it can handle before the TCS dummies you.

And no I’m not getting a power wagon lol. Even though I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Weird. Mine lets it bang off the rev limiter in 4wd with tc and sc off while drifting through snow

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Weird. Mine lets it bang off the rev limiter in 4wd with tc and sc off while drifting through snow

What are you doing to have it do that? 4Hi or auto? And are you holding TC off hot just pushing once? I can get decent spin in a straight line but not like that, and it totally clamps down when I do any drifting.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He’s fully justified blaming the truck when the TCS stopped his tires from spinning. I have to agree, even with TCS “fully off” my 2021 will not spin it’s tires nearly as much as my 2017. I can barely do donuts or 4 wheel drifts, my old truck could behave like a rally car if I wanted. My only advice is play around in a parking lot before you hit a big hill to get a sense of what it can handle before the TCS dummies you.

And no I’m not getting a power wagon lol. Even though I should.

Was just out drifting in a parking lot with mine tonight. 4-high with just TCS pushed once. Holding it down does nothing. Miss my TazerDT. But absolutely zero issues getting it to spin all four and drift

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was just out drifting in a parking lot with mine tonight. 4-high with just TCS pushed once. Holding it down does nothing. Miss my TazerDT. But absolutely zero issues getting it to spin all four and drift

Did you hold it down while in park? I actually tested this yesterday after reading post here. I tried to go to 4x4 hold down nothing. So then I shifted to park. Held it down and all turned off.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I haven't been 4-wheeling in many years but I know all this electronic control stuff is for the idiots that don't know how to drive. I see these commercials for lane assist and all the auto correct and that just tells me the person is not paying attention (get off your phone). Like auto parallel parking, I can park 3 times n the time it takes that system to park once. Face it the 1/2 ton pickup is not the work horse it use to be. It is more of a family vehicle now. That is why to cabs are getting bigger and the beds are getting smaller.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you hold it down while in park? I actually tested this yesterday after reading post here. I tried to go to 4x4 hold down nothing. So then I shifted to park. Held it down and all turned off.
Did not try it in park. But didn't need to as I was able to drift just fine without

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
What are you doing to have it do that? 4Hi or auto? And are you holding TC off hot just pushing once? I can get decent spin in a straight line but not like that, and it totally clamps down when I do any drifting.

4hi. Press and hold the tc button till it shows stability track off. Should work in park or drive.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4hi. Press and hold the tc button till it shows stability track off. Should work in park or drive.

Didn't work for me trying to hold it in drive. Held it for at least 15 seconds and it didn't do anything more than just pushing it once.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Yea, I have to admit, the new electronics make off road a different game now. I sold the 2020 Rubicon I had for this reason. 2 door Jeeps are made to 4wheel. The Rubi was good but it limited itself. I could do way more in my old sport TJ.

Now with my Ram, it only gets me off the mountain when needed and through basic stuff. No undercarriage protection needed. I don't expect it to perform like a Jeep.

But yea, it looks like you bottomed out the frame and diffs in snow. Not much to do there. Tow hooks, sure. Bigger tires and lift!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drive a 99 an 03 and my 15. I hands down prefer the 15 when trying to get somewhere safely. I hands down prefer the 99 for having fun.

They all work exactly the same in 4 LOW

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
W
You didn’t give me time to upload the other video in drive ;)

Just went into garage and tried. It did work in park and drive. Only difference was I was sitting still in garage. When I was trying last night, I was in motion, and it definitely wasn't turning off stability control, only traction control. Either way, I was able to do donuts/drift with stability control on.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Yup held mine down for 5 seconds and the stability comes off too. Had some nice drifting after! Still cuts in on after longer slides though but a lot less.

Users who are viewing this thread