5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Differential

nitmik

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2022 limited and it's equipped with the Anti-Spin Differential. Sorry for this question, but If I'm in the snow or mud and in 4x4 mode, does this mean both rear tires will spin and one front?

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and could not find it and I'm not an off roader. My truck will only be in 4x4 mode for snow.

This is my second RAM, I upgraded from a Big Horn and I don't believe my last one was equipped with it. Could be wrong.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s a typical posi type rear. It will lock up once one tire starts to spin

Regardless if you’re in 2wd or 4wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the event of full loss of traction.

While going with momentum you will not notice any spin.

Also. Once you would get into a spinning situation...our trucks have a cool feature called BLDS Brake Locking Differential System. Which will then get your non spinning front wheel to spin.

Stop movement. Begin to give fuel slightly. The tires will spin then the anti spin will lock and the BLDS will activate. Continue to hold steady with minimal throttle. And now all 4 wheels have power going to them...just got to hope for traction.

I carry a rake and a bag of sand. Rake in front and behind all 4 tires. Throw sand in the direction of travel.

Salt works too...but if it brakes open...can start to rust the bed. Dirt or gravel from the scene will work also

Obviously this is for snow/ice.

In mud you can clear around tires and put any kind of debris for traction.

Obviously deep mud or snow...you are screwed.

Last edited:

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
In the event of full loss of traction.

While going with momentum you will not notice any spin.

Also. Once you would get into a spinning situation...our trucks have a cool feature called BLDS Brake Locking Differential System. Which will then get your non spinning front wheel to spin.

Stop movement. Begin to give fuel slightly. The tires will spin then the anti spin will lock and the BLDS will activate. Continue to hold steady with minimal throttle. And now all 4 wheels have power going to them...just got to hope for traction.

I carry a rake and a bag of sand. Rake in front and behind all 4 tires. Throw sand in the direction of travel.

Salt works too...but if it brakes open...can start to rust the bed. Dirt or gravel from the scene will work also

Obviously this is for snow/ice.

In mud you can clear around tires and put any kind of debris for traction.

Obviously deep mud or snow...you are screwed.
This feature sucks. Today I wanted all the rpm and wheel spin i could get. I switched to 4 high and turned off the traction control. The traction control light on the dash still lit off and killed my drive on some hill climbs despite having the pedal on the floor. Also it started smelling hot. I don't know how to make this digital crap turn off so my truck will do truck stuff. Luckily a guy with a winch showed up an hour later. I was way off the beaten path. Also, who sells a 4x4 with no front tow hooks!? I'll be buying some tow hooks. 20211231_131931.jpg

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Ok i searched the forum and if you want 4wd High without traction and stability control you have to hold down the traction control button for somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds until it chimes. Stupid.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok i searched the forum and if you want 4wd High without traction and stability control you have to hold down the traction control button for somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds until it chimes. Stupid.
Correct. I would have been in 4wd low which does it automatically and allows for better throttle control.

But that is deep. Do not even think lockers front snd rear where going to help...that is a tire selection failure and too much for most any tire without chains.

Edit: I see you say AT tires in sig. They looked like the stock tires. Sorry...still great conditions for chains

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Correct. I would have been in 4wd low which does it automatically and allows for better throttle control.

But that is deep. Do not even think lockers front snd rear where going to help...that is a tire selection failure and too much for most any tire without chains.
I usually go up there on my dirt bike, was just playing in the Ram today. Them brakes got really hot running up the hill for a couple miles fighting the throttle. I did not try 4L, didn't wanna read the manual on how to make that work. I miss the old school 4L shift lever in my 84 Ram. Gotta push a lot of buttons in these new ones, that 4 Auto sure is nice on the secondary roads with ice, snow and gravel. 4H should just be 4H though. I must be getting old.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used the BLDS alot when I was cleaning up my camp teardown.

I had my nearly bald mud and snow tires because I was making dump runs.

You got to stay in the throttle lightly. Too much...it will not activate. Let off it starts over.

20200606_092537.jpg 20200605_195553.jpg 20200504_184731_HDR.jpg 20200504_184320.jpg

Attachments

• 20200504_160312.jpg
    20200504_160312.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 26

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go up there on my dirt bike, was just playing in the Ram today. Them brakes got really hot running up the hill for a couple miles fighting the throttle. I did not try 4L, didn't wanna read the manual on how to make that work. I miss the old school 4L shift lever in my 84 Ram. Gotta push a lot of buttons in these new ones, that 4 Auto sure is nice on the secondary roads with ice, snow and gravel. 4H should just be 4H though. I must be getting old.
With the shift to 4low you need to be in transmission neutral. It is best to be coasting under 5 mph...but can be done stopped.

Just be sure to be in transmission neutral

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
With the shift to 4low you need to be in transmission neutral. It is best to be coasting under 5 mph...but can be done stopped.

Just be sure to be in transmission neutral
Yeah I tried that, poked at it repeatedly, it just blinked at me. I was all adrenalized though, I'll read the manual. Knob in neutral, foot on brake, poking at button, nada.

squid013

Reaction score
4 low is simple, throw it in neutral and shift then put it in gear... simple

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Just come to a stop and do it. The screen will tell you what to do to get into 4lo. 4auto sucks for very low traction situations - by the time the diff senses slip you’re often too late. It’s great for around town in snow and rain - basically like an suv awd system. 4 Hi (lock) is better for very deep snow and mud, and yes turning traction control fully off is a must - but if you’re doing crawl speeds or really anything under 30mph in extremely poor traction then 4lo is amazing.

Don’t even bother with any of this with stock tires!

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yeah I tried that, poked at it repeatedly, it just blinked at me. I was all adrenalized though, I'll read the manual. Knob in neutral, foot on brake, poking at button, nada.
My 11 bighorn took forever to get into 4lo. It was like there was a serious delay but after a minute or so it would go in. That minute or so felt like an eternity with you needed it right then and the there. I haven't tried my 21 ram yet as I havent needed up to this point

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
All electronic tcases take a while to get into 4low.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This feature sucks. Today I wanted all the rpm and wheel spin i could get. I switched to 4 high and turned off the traction control. The traction control light on the dash still lit off and killed my drive on some hill climbs despite having the pedal on the floor. Also it started smelling hot. I don't know how to make this digital crap turn off so my truck will do truck stuff. Luckily a guy with a winch showed up an hour later. I was way off the beaten path. Also, who sells a 4x4 with no front tow hooks!? I'll be buying some tow hooks. View attachment 115518
So you lowered the rear of your truck and put A/T tires on your 4wd, got stuck driving in a place you didn't belong with that configuration and are complaining about no factory tow hooks? Tow hooks are part of the Off Road Package.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only have to push one button to get into 4-lo. And other than a button vs a manual shifter it's the same effort, other than your 84 might have had manual locking hubs you had to get out and engage.

HemiDude

Reaction score
So you lowered the rear of your truck and put A/T tires on your 4wd, got stuck driving in a place you didn't belong with that configuration and are complaining about no factory tow hooks? Tow hooks are part of the Off Road Package.
Not necessarily defending anyone, but haven't we all taken a truck somewhere we shouldn't have, at least once? :rolleyes: I don't generally use my truck for heavy offroading, but until I owned this one it never occurred to me that a 4x4 truck wouldn't just come with hooks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online