5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle vs. Electronic Locking Rear Axle vs. Nothing

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Can someone explain the differences in lament terms for me? I don't tow or have heavy payloads. I'm just looking at this truck for everyday use as a daily driver. Explain the difference between the to rear axle options and why I would want either them given how I'm going to drive the truck. Some of the trucks I'm looking at have nothing, or one of the other options. Am I ok with neither, or is one better than the other for my use?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What part of country do you live in. What type of roads. For a daily driver in areas where you get snow, I'd suggest the limited slip over nothing. The e-locker really is only beneficial off road since it disengages above 25moh.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone explain the differences in lament terms for me? I don't tow or have heavy payloads. I'm just looking at this truck for everyday use as a daily driver. Explain the difference between the to rear axle options and why I would want either them given how I'm going to drive the truck. Some of the trucks I'm looking at have nothing, or one of the other options. Am I ok with neither, or is one better than the other for my use?
Somewhere there’s a lonnnng thread about this...

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The electronic locking dif acts like a posi up to 25 mph , the limited slip will put power to both rear wheels when it senses the drive wheel slip and nothing just drives one wheel all the time .

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is their any way to get the locking axle on a 2021 longhorn with out getting the off road package
2020's you could, at least currently for a 2021, you cannot. You need the Off-Road Group to get the Electronic Locking Rear Axle now. Used to be able to get it without that group if ya got the 3.92 but they changed it for whatever reason for 2021 MY, somewhere along the line, maybe not initially tho. You could tell because you'd get a long "Axle Lock" button by the transfer case switches without the Hill Descent Control (from the Off-Road Group).

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Basically, the anti-spin will work at most all speeds, like over 25 to 75+ mph while the ELD works <25 mph.

If you are like me and operate 99% on pavement, unless you are in deeper slush/snow a lot, the anti-spin would be more beneficial.

If you tow then the ELD would be nice to use when backing up on slick surfaces. If you don’t tow, rock crawl or drive in sand/mud or snow often then the anti-spin is likely better IMHO.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
2020's you could, at least currently for a 2021, you cannot. You need the Off-Road Group to get the Electronic Locking Rear Axle now. Used to be able to get it without that group if ya got the 3.92 but they changed it for whatever reason for 2021 MY, somewhere along the line, maybe not initially tho. You could tell because you'd get a long "Axle Lock" button by the transfer case switches without the Hill Descent Control (from the Off-Road Group).
I have the locking rear axle and no off-Road package on my 2021.

jimchi

Reaction score
Nothing aka "Open" differential: acts as a normal differential. If one wheel loses traction, it spins while the opposite wheel on the axle stays stationary. Relies on traction control system (brakes) to get out of slippery situations.
Pros: Low Cost
Cons: 100% of engine torque will not be applied to non-slipping wheel. Brakes could overheat if used continuously
Best use: Street trucks that don't see off-road/slippery conditions

Anti-spin aka Limited-Slip: acts as a normal open differential until one wheel is turning significantly faster/slower than the other on the same axle. At that point clutch packs in the differential lock up and both wheels spin at the same speed.
Pros: No user input required
Cons: Cost, clutch packs wear out over time
Best use: Street trucks that occasionally see off-road/slippery conditions or street trucks who want better acceleration under heavy load

Locker: acts as a normal open differential until the user selects locking function. Once locked, both wheels spin at same speed.
Pros: Maximum traction in off-road conditions.
Cons: Cost, unacceptable for street use when locked
Best use: Trucks that frequently see off-road/slippery conditions

For more info on what a differential does, see this youtube video:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in MN and pull an RV fish house a lot. My 2019 big horn was an open differential, when I needed more traction I’d put the truck in 4auto and never got stuck or even close to it. I now have a 2020 ecodiesel that came with the off road group so it has the e-locker. Just got back from an ice fishing trip where I was 6 miles out onto a lake pulling my rig through some unplowed areas. 4wd auto got me through it no problem.

my personal preference would be to have the anti spin but if the truck you want doesn’t have it I wouldn’t worry about it. And if you’re like me you’ll probably never use the e-locker so don’t worry about that either.

Last edited:

redneck

Reaction score
just wondering if the dealer had more options than the ram site when ordering. i live in sw florida & work construction i back trailers up thru muddy ditches etc.. roads are slick after the rain also. i guess im getting the lsd. ordering a 2021 longhorn 4x4 standard bed 321 rearend max towing is 5k mostly hiway driving empty75-90mph .

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the factory limited slip is clutch-based or gear-based?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing aka "Open" differential: acts as a normal differential. If one wheel loses traction, it spins while the opposite wheel on the axle stays stationary. Relies on traction control system (brakes) to get out of slippery situations.
Pros: Low Cost
Cons: 100% of engine torque will not be applied to non-slipping wheel. Brakes could overheat if used continuously
Best use: Street trucks that don't see off-road/slippery conditions

Anti-spin aka Limited-Slip: acts as a normal open differential until one wheel is turning significantly faster/slower than the other on the same axle. At that point clutch packs in the differential lock up and both wheels spin at the same speed.
Pros: No user input required
Cons: Cost, clutch packs wear out over time
Best use: Street trucks that occasionally see off-road/slippery conditions or street trucks who want better acceleration under heavy load

Locker: acts as a normal open differential until the user selects locking function. Once locked, both wheels spin at same speed.
Pros: Maximum traction in off-road conditions.
Cons: Cost, unacceptable for street use when locked
Best use: Trucks that frequently see off-road/slippery conditions

For more info on what a differential does, see this youtube video:

Hope this helps!
And don’t forget traction control, which is probably as effective as anything else on these trucks. Again, I’d recommend the OP look for the main thread on this topic.

redneck

Reaction score
ugh so its a 2 wheel drive truck. my gmc denali has a g80 locker in the rear & in 4 low it locks the front also cant turn worth a darn but goes thru anything

Users who are viewing this thread