5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running in 2WD even though there are some small icy patches around. I've been very pleased with the Anti-Spin so far. Very little spin is required before power is applied to the opposite wheel. In simple terms, there's much go and not much spin. It very well could also be influenced by the wheel speed sensors and braking system. The overall system is well implemented.

I don't think the Anti-Spin is electronic at all. I believe it's completely mechanical, which is also why it isn't speed sensitive.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running in 2WD even though there are some small icy patches around. I've been very pleased with the Anti-Spin so far. Very little spin is required before power is applied to the opposite wheel. In simple terms, there's much go and not much spin. It very well could also be influenced by the wheel speed sensors and braking system. The overall system is well implemented.

I don't think the Anti-Spin is electronic at all. I believe it's completely mechanical, which is also why it isn't speed sensitive.
Exactly. It's mechanically engaged, as described in @Neurobit's post from the service manual.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I don't see anything there that allows inference about electronic control.

I would argue (in a legal sense) that the wording in the description is similar because the function is similar.

The eLocker uses an electronic actuator to lock. The Antispin uses an electronic actuator to engage the clutches?
No. LSD is torque-sensing (mechanical) just like every other LSD out there. Search Youtube, there are dozens of videos that explain how this works in detail.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Build and price has a generic drop down that is wrong.

I would think by now Ram would be replacing there website team.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Build and price has a generic drop down that is wrong.

I would think by now Ram would be replacing there website team.
If they shared their supplier list and part numbers, we would've done the research and updated the website in detail for them...six months ago ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they shared their supplier list and part numbers, we would've done the research and updated the website in detail for them...six months ago ;)
Right...it would be nice if they would tell us if eLocker is from Eaton or they just used their term.

It is very trying to explain stuff when the easy info is so wrong, and when digging for it you find so many opinions.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Internet is full of opinions. Just ask. :p

Just kidding.

You get them even if you don't ask for them.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok you guys may have turned me back around. If I read that JUUUUST right, I guess it does say mechanical actuation.

"... because when torque is applied to the differential gear set, the reaction forces of the bevel gears apply an axial force into the clutch system providing the torque bias."

Many years ago I had the open diff in my Dodge Charger swapped with a Getrag LSD from a Challenger. That was also a clutched type. Independent rear suspension in that car, no solid rear axle, so this was just swapping pumpkins. A direct bolt-on swap. That LSD was unquestionably mechanical only; I seen with my own eyes... no motors, no actuators, no electrical connections.

As it turned out, the only two times I ever fish-tailed a vehicle was with that LSD. One time very severely, where the rear broke loose and swung around causing all four tires to break loose. My car rotated, slid while rotating, and hopped the center median ending up in the oncoming lanes. This, at only about 40 mph. The other time also about 40 mph the rear again broke loose and came around. I was virtually perpendicular to the direction of traffic but was able to feather the controls and right the car.

I never thought much about that until reading some comments here that explained situations where LSD or locking can actually be a detriment. It was only recently that the light bulb came on and I realized... I experienced exactly what those comments said... that when on the road in low traction situations and a slip occurs, the engagement of the other wheel can cause both to break loose.

So... in my mind, I see benefits of a mechanical-only LSD but also critical flaws. A mechanical-only system can be dangerous but coupled with fairly aggressive traction control may be enough to overcome the situations I described above. Maybe??

Just for fun... I see from @SpeedyV 's posts "eLocker" is Eaton trademark. In digging around the webs, I found AAM throwing around a similar term: "Elock" :geek:

2019-01-15 19_46_31-Window.png

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just for fun... I see from @SpeedyV 's posts "eLocker" is Eaton trademark. In digging around the webs, I found AAM throwing around a similar term: "Elock" :geek:

View attachment 13717
"E-locker" is a generic term. ELocker is trademarked by Eaton. But who says an Eaton ELocker wouldn't end up in an American Axle? :)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. LSD is torque-sensing (mechanical) just like every other LSD out there. Search Youtube, there are dozens of videos that explain how this works in detail.

Thanks for your response and input, NB. Do you have links specific to Antispin LSD?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see it as a liability at all. It's an assist when coupled with 4WD.

Control with both rear tires spinning is more related to your right foot.

Users who are viewing this thread