5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Question On The MDS/ECO Mode

Shark875

Reaction score
I had to drive about 100 miles on the freeway recently so I decided to leave the MDS/ECO mode on to save on gas. I was using the cruise control set at 74 and noticed the eco light not coming on. Tried at 70, 65, 60 and finally it came on at 55mph. Are the speeds above 55 to much acceleration in cruise control, preventing it from coming on? Thanks
I dont think speed matters, but the terrain definitely will as far as the freeway your traveling. Example, I travel about a 1 hour each week down south to hunt, running my cruise control around 75 mph go there the ECO mode rarely comes on but there are significant hills and the accelerator is constant, on the way home at the same speed cruise is set ECO mode works most of the time. It will only come on and work if it feels it can maintain the speed set with 4 cylinders.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dont think speed matters, but the terrain definitely will as far as the freeway your traveling. Example, I travel about a 1 hour each week down south to hunt, running my cruise control around 75 mph go there the ECO mode rarely comes on but there are significant hills and the accelerator is constant, on the way home at the same speed cruise is set ECO mode works most of the time. It will only come on and work if it feels it can maintain the speed set with 4 cylinders.
Speed does matter because as speed increases, so does drag. At some point as your speed doubles, drag will quadruple. The only time I see MDS engage above 70 is if I have a tailwind and/or a slight down hill.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not being a smart ***, but some people don't mind the smell of cologne or perfume and others despise it.
You're one of the people that just isn't tuned-in to your vehicle at a high level. You probably either listen to music turned up a lot or you just have a lot of stuff on your mind when you're driving ,because trust me, if you're looking for it you can hear and feel MDS engage and disengage.
I used to think this as well, until I traded in my previous truck for my current one. The previous truck was a 2020 Laramie. I could definitely tell when the MDS engaged and disengaged. Even before I upgraded the exhaust. So I always disabled it. On my current truck, 2021 Limited, I have to strain to tell when it turns on or off. Unless I'm paying attention I have no idea it's even happening. I don't bother to disable it on this truck. There is a distinct difference between different trucks as far as how noticeable MDS is.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't notice MDS kicking in when I'm on a concrete highway, especially here because the surface is all chewed up by the knuckleheads running studded tires. On a nice smooth stretch of asphalt I can definitely feel it.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to think this as well, until I traded in my previous truck for my current one. The previous truck was a 2020 Laramie. I could definitely tell when the MDS engaged and disengaged. Even before I upgraded the exhaust. So I always disabled it. On my current truck, 2021 Limited, I have to strain to tell when it turns on or off. Unless I'm paying attention I have no idea it's even happening. I don't bother to disable it on this truck. There is a distinct difference between different trucks as far as how noticeable MDS is.
It's not when MDS kick's IN that it's most noticeable. It's when MDS kicks OFF that it can be very noticeable. Especially when you're asking for more power but not enough to downshift. It's then, under load, that MDS 'clunks' when it kicks off.

blind prophet

Reaction score
It's not when MDS kick's IN that it's most noticeable. It's when MDS kicks OFF that it can be very noticeable. Especially when you're asking for more power but not enough to downshift. It's then, under load, that MDS 'clunks' when it kicks off.
this is about the only time i notice it

Users who are viewing this thread