5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Question On The MDS/ECO Mode

Kenny4

Reaction score
I had to drive about 100 miles on the freeway recently so I decided to leave the MDS/ECO mode on to save on gas. I was using the cruise control set at 74 and noticed the eco light not coming on. Tried at 70, 65, 60 and finally it came on at 55mph. Are the speeds above 55 to much acceleration in cruise control, preventing it from coming on? Thanks

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had to drive about 100 miles on the freeway recently so I decided to leave the MDS/ECO mode on to save on gas. I was using the cruise control set at 74 and noticed the eco light not coming on. Tried at 70, 65, 60 and finally it came on at 55mph. Are the speeds above 55 to much acceleration in cruise control, preventing it from coming on? Thanks
Mine comes on and holds at up to 75 mph, especially if I’ve got a light tailwind. Maybe eTorque helps it hold on just a bit. Anything below 70 will definitely go into MDS if the terrain is flat.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It depends on load. If there's a strong headwind or even a slight grade -- 2% or better -- ECO mode won't come on. I saw it lit at 72 mph yesterday with cruise on, but it was a slight downgrade. Normally I don't see it come on much above 65 mph, because wind resistance gets too much, near as I can figure. But I have seen it as high as 78.

silver billet

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, it's completely ineffective anyway. At least in my truck with the 3.21. I always drive with it off and have no trouble reaching low 20's mpg on highway driving.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dumb question, but have you activated the Eco light in the settings?

It should come on any time you let off the gas as speed after a second or so.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cruise control is pretty aggressive in these trucks, if you don't see it coming on then you can try driving with your foot and it might come on more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Kenny4

Reaction score
Dumb question, but have you activated the Eco light in the settings?

It should come on any time you let off the gas as speed after a second or so.
Yes it's on, and constantly on around town every single time I take my foot off the gas as mentioned above. I normally shut it off with the gear selector on the steering wheel. Just thought I'd take advantage of it while on the freeway.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Could be, did you try it with cruise control off and see if it would come on at those higher speeds? I don't typically use cruise control and MDS does come on up to about 75 mph on a straight road or downhill.

Kenny4

Reaction score
No, will have to try without the cc next time I'm on the freeway. I almost always use the cc though.

ShadowHawk

Reaction score
also depends on the RPMs your running at. So far my truck with the 3.92 never sees the MDS/Eco mode come on at 70MPH since the RPMs/load is higher on the trucks with 3.92s.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
also depends on the RPMs your running at. So far my truck with the 3.92 never sees the MDS/Eco mode come on at 70MPH since the RPMs/load is higher on the trucks with 3.92s.

Interesting...have had mine come on at speeds well over 70...usually on a downward sloping area.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine only seems to comes on above 70 if I’m cruising down a steep to slight grade.

BigD

Reaction score
I've never seen the ECO light come on. Am I supposed to turn it on somehow in settings?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a similar experience with mine. It never comes on above 50mph unless I'm slowing down with a tailwind.

CJ7nvrstk

Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^
Plus, the exhaust note change and slight jerk is annoying as f*#@...
I’ve noticed that little jerk on occasion when I let off the gas and thought it was the eTorque.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Turn that **** off and use that fun pedal. Lol. But seriously, I get better mpg without mds. Hand calculated. Taking same route daily same speeds same temps and weather. Got 2 mpg better without mds. And I have 3.92 gears.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still nobody has come out with a plug in permanent MDS disable device yet for 5th gen Rams.
Guess it's just not going to happen.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turn that **** off and use that fun pedal. Lol. But seriously, I get better mpg without mds. Hand calculated. Taking same route daily same speeds same temps and weather. Got 2 mpg better without mds. And I have 3.92 gears.
You say that and yet I get 1 MPG better with MDS on. Same route averaged over 5 trips each with and without. Hooray anecdotal evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread