5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Question On The MDS/ECO Mode

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This will differ from truck to truck, some of the biggest factors will be:

1) The octane fuel you are using. The engine will tend to go into ECO/MDS mode more when you are using 89-91 octane fuel since the engine is optimized to run at 89 octane fuel and does not have to advance or retard the timing.

2) The differential that is in your truck. at higher speeds a truck with a 3.21 rear end with have lower RPM's at higher speeds and will be able to go into ECO/MDS mode more often at highway speeds than someone with a 3.92 rear end.

3) Using the cruise control tends to be a little aggressive and the truck will not kick into ECO/MDS mode as often as when you control the gas pedal manually.

I'm not actually sure about point #2. The engine makes more power at higher rpms, thereby possibly being able to stay in MDS longer. However in terms of MPG savings, it still appears to be better to run at lower RPMs than at higher RPMs, even if MDS is not active as often. Best trip I've recorded was 25 mpg with MDS disabled on the entire 3 hour freeway trip, so whatever MDS is actually doing in terms of saving fuel, it isn't anything to write home about.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I challenge you to provide a link to an MDS disabler for our 5th generation trucks.
RANGE does not make one.

silver billet

Reaction score

Is this the one that tricks the MDS into staying off by constantly sending short and almost undetectable pedal bursts? Or does it actually do the same thing that the gear limiter does and/or the tow haul mode?

Bcryan

Reaction score
Turn that **** off and use that fun pedal. Lol. But seriously, I get better mpg without mds. Hand calculated. Taking same route daily same speeds same temps and weather. Got 2 mpg better without mds. And I have 3.92 gears.
Agreed.. turn it off. I have never looked at it. Didn’t buy a hemi expecting fantastic gas mileage and don’t need the light as you can hear it shift in and out .

4x4 Crew Cab 6‘4 bed 3:21 Hemi = drive it like you stole it ! 😎👍

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not actually sure about point #2. The engine makes more power at higher rpms, thereby possibly being able to stay in MDS longer. However in terms of MPG savings, it still appears to be better to run at lower RPMs than at higher RPMs, even if MDS is not active as often. Best trip I've recorded was 25 mpg with MDS disabled on the entire 3 hour freeway trip, so whatever MDS is actually doing in terms of saving fuel, it isn't anything to write home about.
First off, I was responding to the OP's question on why he did not see his ECO/MDS light on at higher speeds.

Agreed, The engine makes more power at higher speeds, but the ECO/MDS mode will only enable when the engine is not under a load.

I'm not trying to make a case that ECO/MDS mode will save you MPG's only addressing how and why it does what it does when it comes on.

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
Is this the one that tricks the MDS into staying off by constantly sending short and almost undetectable pedal bursts? Or does it actually do the same thing that the gear limiter does and/or the tow haul mode?
The latter. It's primary function is to provide different tuning "Maps" depending on your needs/mood. The only reason I haven't purchased one yet is that my truck is still under warranty and I can't seem to get a definitive answer if it leaves a trace of itself after it is removed should I need to have a dealer service it .

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$600 and not sure if it leaves a trace? No thank you.
What happened to the sub $200 units that just disable MDS? You can't get them for 5th Gen trucks.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Just click the gear selector into 8. And leave it there. Just got in the habit of doing it when ever I put the truck in drive.

It’s free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just click the gear selector into 8. And leave it there. Just got in the habit of doing it when ever I put the truck in drive.

It’s free.

Been doing that for a year and a half. Want it permanently disabled.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Then Diablo products are your only option for the gen5 that I’ve found

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It depends on your speed, the wind, load, and road conditions. Honestly, above 65 you won't see it much unless theres a tail wind or youre going down hill

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4 mos and around 5600 miles. I've never heard or felt the MDS come on & off. I do see the ECO light come on & off.

Oldphart

Reaction score
$600 and not sure if it leaves a trace? No thank you.
What happened to the sub $200 units that just disable MDS? You can't get them for 5th Gen trucks.
Exact;y why I won't get it. I wish Trifecta would start working on the Hemi. I had their system on my last truck, a 2016 GMC Canyon 3.6 V-6. In performance mode, it would outrun just about any truck out there. You flashed the ECU but you could also unflash it and it wouldn't advance the counter in the ECU. No trace it was ever there. I had the service manager at the local dealership verify it!

Redfour5

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, it's completely ineffective anyway. At least in my truck with the 3.21. I always drive with it off and have no trouble reaching low 20's mpg on highway driving.
Having had a 3.92 and now the 3.21 rear end, the eco light came on quite a bit with the 3.92 and now with the 3.21, it seldom comes on unless you are going downhill for quite a ways. I'm almost surprised when I see it now days. It was a constant flickering, that I "stimulus generalized" on the 3.92. Others have noted the difference also.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4 mos and around 5600 miles. I've never heard or felt the MDS come on & off. I do see the ECO light come on & off.
Not being a smart ***, but some people don't mind the smell of cologne or perfume and others despise it.
You're one of the people that just isn't tuned-in to your vehicle at a high level. You probably either listen to music turned up a lot or you just have a lot of stuff on your mind when you're driving ,because trust me, if you're looking for it you can hear and feel MDS engage and disengage.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Not being a smart ***, but some people don't mind the smell of cologne or perfume and others despise it.
You're one of the people that just isn't tuned-in to your vehicle at a high level. You probably either listen to music turned up a lot or you just have a lot of stuff on your mind when you're driving ,because trust me, if you're looking for it you can hear and feel MDS engage and disengage.
Not me. Until I found out how to enable the ECO light, I never knew if it was even working or not. Still generally don't, unless the freeway has a slight rise and I have to give it some more gas and nothing happens. And even that could just be the way things are programmed. I only know it's the MDS because the light goes off at the same time things start moving.

I don't listen to music more often than I do, and having wrenched for a living for over 25 years, I always listen for odd noises.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Yep. It’s very apparent when it’s kicking in and out, even with the stock exhaust, you can feel it more than hear it

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not me. Until I found out how to enable the ECO light, I never knew if it was even working or not. Still generally don't, unless the freeway has a slight rise and I have to give it some more gas and nothing happens. And even that could just be the way things are programmed. I only know it's the MDS because the light goes off at the same time things start moving.

I don't listen to music more often than I do, and having wrenched for a living for over 25 years, I always listen for odd noises.
Again, you may think you're 'in tune' with your truck, but I can assure you the MDS will occasionally cause a mild 'clunk' in the drivetrain when it disengages under load.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Again, you may think you're 'in tune' with your truck, but I can assure you the MDS will occasionally cause a mild 'clunk' in the drivetrain when it disengages under load.

My wife feels it in the passenger seat and thinks I'm goosing the gas pedal. Which means I'll have to start doing the 8th lockout when she's with me...

Ram Rider

Reaction score
I had to drive about 100 miles on the freeway recently so I decided to leave the MDS/ECO mode on to save on gas. I was using the cruise control set at 74 and noticed the eco light not coming on. Tried at 70, 65, 60 and finally it came on at 55mph. Are the speeds above 55 to much acceleration in cruise control, preventing it from coming on? Thanks
I have a 2019 Longhorn. Usually mine won’t come on at those speeds. I do a lot of highway driving. Also depends on wind and hills. Sometimes mine may come on at 60 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread