5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another fuel filling Issue

South Texas Aggie

Reaction score
My truck has the same problem; it started at about 30,000 miles. The dealer is going to replace the tank on Tuesday after it’s been on backorder for about 6 weeks. I was told the delay is because it’s a new tank design provided by a new supplier so hopefully the problem won’t return.

In the meantime, I hold the emergency funnel in and then fill it up with the nozzle. Of course, it won’t know when to shut off so I’ve got to calculate about how much gas I need so I don’t spray gas all over me.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I thought about doing that with mine. Bummer about the back order. I hope mine doesn't come to that.

arptsprt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel sitting in the garage at home. I had to drive one way 800 miles today for family reasons. I rented a car and my local Hertz manager gave me a 2020 Laramie for the trip. It was very nice and the damn thing got 20.3 mpg for the trip! Wow.

BUT, BUT... The damn thing had the gas fill issue. For the love of God that sucked. Between my two gas stops probably took me 40 minutes to refuel. First tank I got so pissed I left after 8 gallons. Second fill up of 18.5 gals took nearly 25 minutes but I had no choice. It was great standing there in the wind chill of BFE Wyoming.

I’ve had no issues with my Rebel and I hope I never do. Again, that sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I've had this same issue since my very first fill up, I've just gotten used to only throwing the nozzle in about 80%. Not going to lose days and days of usage and let some engineers experiment with a fix when that works for me every time.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I've had this same issue since my very first fill up, I've just gotten used to only throwing the nozzle in about 80%. Not going to lose days and days of usage and let some engineers experiment with a fix when that works for me every time.
Glad that works for you. Doesn't work for me. Fortunately I'm retired and can get by without the truck. I'd be really pissed if I were planning an RV trip and had to cancel.

I was going to pick the truck up today but we decided to stay out of town an extra day to avoid some snowy weather (FINALLY!). I will pick it up
tomorrow and will report back when I have to put fuel in it.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel sitting in the garage at home. I had to drive one way 800 miles today for family reasons. I rented a car and my local Hertz manager gave me a 2020 Laramie for the trip. It was very nice and the damn thing got 20.3 mpg for the trip! Wow.

BUT, BUT... The damn thing had the gas fill issue. For the love of God that sucked. Between my two gas stops probably took me 40 minutes to refuel. First tank I got so pissed I left after 8 gallons. Second fill up of 18.5 gals took nearly 25 minutes but I had no choice. It was great standing there in the wind chill of BFE Wyoming.

I’ve had no issues with my Rebel and I hope I never do. Again, that sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And there's not a darned thing you can do about rental vehicle.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I picked my truck up yesterday and haven't driven it enough to justify a fill up. I thought I'd post their diagnostic notes in case some of you are interested:

According to the invoice, they first verified that the new filler neck was functioning properly. They then tried to fill the tank without success. They checked to make sure all lines were clear and unobstructed. They next added fuel using the funnel indicating that that the tank and it's check valve were functioning properly.

The tech next removed the vent tube from the filler neck. The truck accepted fuel without issue. He then reattached the vent line and the truck again refused to take fuel. They ordered and replaced the evap canister which attached to the vent line near the filler neck. The truck took fuel without issue.

Finally, they ran a bunch of leak and pressure checks, drove the truck to Sacramento and back (with my permission) to lower the fuel level and refilled the truck at the same pump that they had problems with. The truck took fuel without issue.

Thompson Ram in Placerville, CA has been excellent to work with. They want me to report back to them my results in a week or so. I will put some miles on the truck during the next couple of days and report back after I try to fill it up.

dandar

Reaction score
I had that issue with a couple of gas stations. Solution there was to press the trigger only halfway in so that the gas flows slowly.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I ran into the problem today at a Gate fuel station. The gas squirted right out the top of the neck when I went at full speed. I used about half speed and fueled without issue. I had not seen any issues yet. TI have about 5k miles so far.

Last edited:

BobK

Reaction score
I finally found this pic that I had taken... When we had the problem with our Pacifica, the dealer told us it was caused by pumps that didn't have this piece on them, and he seemed to be right. He said pumps are all suppose to have this but many pumps still dont and that is what causes the problem. Which right or wrong, since it was only happening on this one vehicle out of all that I have ever owned or used, I didn't care if that was the case, I still blamed the stupid vehicle. Pump.JPG

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing that could also be a problem, if not today, but down the road, is topping off the tank. When the pump kicks off, call it done. By topping off, gasoline overfills and gains access to the vapor line. I'll use my older Camaro to describe this as I don't know if newer vehicles still have charcoal canisters. My Camaro has a vapor canister that takes gas fumes venting from the tank, and it removes the gas smell. Cars used to vent to atmosphere in the 60's, so the EPA required the canister to remove the vented gas smell. If the canister gets gas in it, it causes issues with the gas pump clicking off because the tank can't vent properly while filling. A friend had this problem with his Silverado and the issue was he always topped off and contaminated his canister so it wasn't venting properly.

Just a thought.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
One thing that could also be a problem, if not today, but down the road, is topping off the tank. When the pump kicks off, call it done. By topping off, gasoline overfills and gains access to the vapor line. I'll use my older Camaro to describe this as I don't know if newer vehicles still have charcoal canisters. My Camaro has a vapor canister that takes gas fumes venting from the tank, and it removes the gas smell. Cars used to vent to atmosphere in the 60's, so the EPA required the canister to remove the vented gas smell. If the canister gets gas in it, it causes issues with the gas pump clicking off because the tank can't vent properly while filling. A friend had this problem with his Silverado and the issue was he always topped off and contaminated his canister so it wasn't venting properly.

Just a thought.
I'm not one who tops off but you are correct. Liquids entering the vapor vent line can saturate the evap canister and cause problems.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Just filled the truck up for the first time since the dealer installed a new evaporative vapor canister. Down a 1/2 a tank. Filled up at a station where I have had issues before. YIPEE! NO PROBLEM filling the tank with my hands off the nozzle and nozzle set on high.

Fingers crossed that it stays fixed. I will be putting 300 miles on the truck over the next couple of days. Hope they finally fixed it.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Will do. We will pick up the truck on Monday when I'm back in town.
let us know how you're doing about 3 to 5 fill ups after the fix.
Mine is going back under lemon law regarding gas pump issues. You can click on my forum name here and find various posts dealing with this over the last many months. Multiple "updated and redesigned" fixes, 45 plus days in the shop etc. Various times "It's fixed" until a few gas station stops after each "fix." Hope you fare better.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just a thought.
The evap canisters and lines are mounted vertically so they can drain. it shouldn't be a problem. They are probably kinking up, or the ethanol is expanding the lines because someone accountant/executive wanted to save a few cents with cheaper materials and less clips securing the lines.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
let us know how you're doing about 3 to 5 fill ups after the fix.
Mine is going back under lemon law regarding gas pump issues. You can click on my forum name here and find various posts dealing with this over the last many months. Multiple "updated and redesigned" fixes, 45 plus days in the shop etc. Various times "It's fixed" until a few gas station stops after each "fix." Hope you fare better.
Yup. That's what I am afraid of. I hope it's fixed but if not, they get one more try before I can initiate the CA arbitration process. I don't want to but I will if it comes to that.

I should be able to try two more fuel up before Saturday.

BobK

Reaction score
Wasn't a top off problem for us. Never did that. Just because since its always on a credit card we never had that OCD thing of it having to be rounded up the the dollar. who cares. lol When it stops, it stops. The problem had started for us a couple months after having the vehicle and lasted until we got ride of it 3 years later.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Just came off the road and was down half a tank. Second fill up since the repair was also perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Ok folks, I'm going to make this my final update unless the problem reoccurs. 6 fill up total now since the repair. Not even so much as a hiccup. All fillups have been with CA's infamous vapor recovery pumps. It appears that the new evap canister did the trick.

Thanks for all your input. My thanks to Thompson Ram in Placerville, CA for sticking with issue and coming up with a solid repair.. I hope this thread will be useful to others.

Users who are viewing this thread