5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another fuel filling Issue

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I guess I will join the fueling issue club. My '20 Gen 5 Laramie with 5.5' bed and 26 gallon tank filled up just fine for the first 5000 miles. Then it suddenly stopped taking gasoline. Pump shut off every couple of seconds regardless of pump or station with one exception: It fills up without an issue if I use the one station left in my mountainous county that still has non vapor recovery pumps.

I took my truck to the dealership (1.5 hours each way!) over Thanksgiving. They verified the issue and replaced the filler neck. First 2 fill ups it worked OK.

Now it's back to the same old pump shut off issue. It had gotten so bad that I had to fill from two 6 gallons gas cans using the little funnel device that came with the truck.

Made the long trip to the dealer yesterday and they are keeping the truck for a few days over Christmas. The service advisor said that FCA required them to first change the filler neck (which they did) before allowing them to replace other parts. He also said that there are 2 other Gen 5 trucks, a Chrysler Pacifica and new Jeep Gladiator at their shop with the same issue. And this is a small but nice dealership up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of CA.

I know there is a similar thread that is over a year old on the topic but I thought I'd start a new refreshed thread. My primary question to those of you that have experienced this issue and have actually had a successful repair: What did the dealer finally end up doing to resolve the issue?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Wanna laugh......
Try turning the pump upside down when you pump and see if it helps.
If it does, it has something to do with air lock or pockets I think when filling up.
S197 Mustangs have this problem. Usually caused by a pinched evap line by the tank caused when shifting around exhaust pipes when working on the car.
I would be totally off base here, but try it and see if it ends up being that.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Wanna laugh......
If it does, it has something to do with air lock or pockets I think when filling up.
S197 Mustangs have this problem. Usually caused by a pinched evap line by the tank caused when shifting around exhaust pipes when working on the car.
No joy regardless of nozzle position, angle, depth, etc. Heck, I'd be willing to stand upside naked in a blizzard if I thought it would help. I have lost 10 days of use so far waiting for diagnostics and parts. In fairness, the truck has been in the shop over the Thanksgiving week and will now be over the Christmas week so some of those days were beyond the dealer's control. And being an hour and half from the dealer doesn't help. (There is one 10 minutes closer but I chose to return to where I bought it.)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wanna laugh......

YES, my S197 Mustang had a ridiculous issue with pumping fuel, had to do it upside down to make it work.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
OP: sorry to hear flipping it 180* upside didnt help. Figured it was worth mention.
Good luck man. Keep us updated

Maconi

Reaction score
It's the pump nozzle style. I don't think the FCA engineers took them into account when designing the system. Most complaints I've seen posted on the forum usually come from people in CA (or that region) who have to deal with those vapor recovery nozzles. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out a consistent work-around yet.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I guess I will join the fueling issue club. My '20 Gen 5 Laramie with 5.5' bed and 26 gallon tank filled up just fine for the first 5000 miles. Then it suddenly stopped taking gasoline. Pump shut off every couple of seconds regardless of pump or station with one exception: It fills up without an issue if I use the one station left in my mountainous county that still has non vapor recovery pumps.

I took my truck to the dealership (1.5 hours each way!) over Thanksgiving. They verified the issue and replaced the filler neck. First 2 fill ups it worked OK.

Now it's back to the same old pump shut off issue. It had gotten so bad that I had to fill from two 6 gallons gas cans using the little funnel device that came with the truck.

Made the long trip to the dealer yesterday and they are keeping the truck for a few days over Christmas. The service advisor said that FCA required them to first change the filler neck (which they did) before allowing them to replace other parts. He also said that there are 2 other Gen 5 trucks, a Chrysler Pacifica and new Jeep Gladiator at their shop with the same issue. And this is a small but nice dealership up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of CA.

I know there is a similar thread that is over a year old on the topic but I thought I'd start a new refreshed thread. My primary question to those of you that have experienced this issue and have actually had a successful repair: What did the dealer finally end up doing to resolve the issue?
I assume you did, but did you try another pump/gaz station?

The gas pump need to be calibrate a lot more often now with all those capfree vehicles. Because the pump use some kind of pressure number to stop when full, capfree vehicule build up more pressure when filling so the pumps thinks your full, but you’re not. I am french so I try my best to explain in my best english!:) but try to pull out the gas handle pump a little and turn it few degrees to “bluff” the pump. Let me know if this help

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of the intricate design of the fuel system, there's actually a diagnostic procedure in the DT service manual for troubleshooting this exact problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044560 miles.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I assume you did, but did you try another pump/gaz station?

The gas pump need to be calibrate a lot more often now with all those capfree vehicles. Because the pump use some kind of pressure number to stop when full, capfree vehicule build up more pressure when filling so the pumps thinks your full, but you’re not. I am french so I try my best to explain in my best english!:) but try to pull out the gas handle pump a little and turn it few degrees to “bluff” the pump. Let me know if this help
Oh yes. Multiple stations, different pumps. There are only 2 ways to fill my truck. Using the old non emissions pump nozzles which are primarily out of my state or filling from gas cans using the funnel that came with the truck. Even the dealership couldn't put gas in it.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
It's the pump nozzle style. I don't think the FCA engineers took them into account when designing the system. Most complaints I've seen posted on the forum usually come from people in CA (or that region) who have to deal with those vapor recovery nozzles. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out a consistent work-around yet.
Sounds like it's primarily an FCA thing. My Audi doesn't have that issue, neither did my GMC, Malibu or the Fords that I drove before I retired.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Oh yes. Multiple stations, different pumps. There are only 2 ways to fill my truck. Using the old non emissions pump nozzles which are primarily out of my state or filling from gas cans using the funnel that came with the truck. Even the dealership couldn't put gas in it.
Sorry for pointing that. I just figure to tell you what happened to me once and wanted to help. I feel you, issue like you have with no “hard fix” makes it hate the truck:p hope you figured out soon budy

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Latest update. I got a call from the dealer late yesterday. They ordered a new evap canister. I asked the service advisor if that will solve the issue. She pleasantly chuckled and said "We will wait and see." She then continued and said that FCA requires the evap canister replacement as the second step in the process before authorizing a new tank.

I will pick the truck up on Monday and will report back if that helped.
I really appreciate the parts list. That is very helpful. Part 7 has already been tested and was clear during my first visit. They have now ordered a new evap canister, which is the next step in the process according to my dealer. Thanks for the diagram. It certainly may be helpful in the future.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Latest update. I got a call from the dealer late yesterday. They ordered a new evap canister. I asked the service advisor if that will solve the issue. She pleasantly chuckled and said "We will wait and see." She then continued and said that FCA requires the evap canister replacement as the second step in the process before authorizing a new tank.

I will pick the truck up on Monday and will report back if that helped.

I really appreciate the parts list. That is very helpful. Part 7 has already been tested and was clear during my first visit. They have now ordered a new evap canister, which is the next step in the process according to my dealer. Thanks for the diagram. It certainly may be helpful in the future.
My BMW motorcycles have the canisters, over filling will put gas into the canister and eventually they create various problems.
Some interesting info:

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Guys I hope the repair will be as simple as a new evap canister. They said it was fine during my first visit when the replaced the filler neck. Over filling shouldn't be the cause in my case. I don't top off after the pump shuts off. I didn't have this issue on my '17, nor any other vehicle I've owned over the past 50 years, some of which had similar capless systems. Time will tell when I hopefully pick it up on Monday.

BackAgain

Reaction score
I have the same intermittent problem with my '19 1500 Classic. Doesn't happen all the time, and there's no way to know when it will. Sometimes takes 8 or 10 starts and stops to get a couple gallons in, then it's fine. They replaced the entire fuel tank on mine earlier this year. Still does it intermittently.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Just got an update from the dealer. They replaced the Evap canister and did some static tests. All looked good. The asked permission to burn off some fuel since I was down less than a 1/4 tank when I dropped it off. The service manager made a run from Placerville to the Sacramento area for a meeting. He filled it up splitting the fill between 2 different stations and said it was working perfectly, including the same pump that they couldn't get to work when I first dropped it off.

I won't be able to get up to Placerville until Monday so I'm hopeful that this solves the issue. Time will tell...

dop

Reaction score
Just got an update from the dealer. They replaced the Evap canister and did some static tests. All looked good. The asked permission to burn off some fuel since I was down less than a 1/4 tank when I dropped it off. The service manager made a run from Placerville to the Sacramento area for a meeting. He filled it up splitting the fill between 2 different stations and said it was working perfectly, including the same pump that they couldn't get to work when I first dropped it off.

I won't be able to get up to Placerville until Monday so I'm hopeful that this solves the issue. Time will tell...
Let us know how it goes! I'm also in the Sac area and usually fill up at the Costco off Sunrise in Rancho. I usually get the problem but after couple tries, it seems to work.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Will do. We will pick up the truck on Monday when I'm back in town.

Users who are viewing this thread