5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto Refresh

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
July 24 as well and working. For those not working, see if you have this screen under the apps/Android auto/in-app notifications settings and makes sure Try the new Android auto is on.

View attachment 32470

When I do this, I get the old Settings screen that starts with "Limit Wi-Fi." From searching online there are lots of users on the latest AA app version who are having the same problem. The best explanation is that Google still has to do something server side for us that they have not done yet.

Thanks for the screen shot though.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a slow rollout on the server side.

This is correct - even with the 4.5.xx update, YMMV if you receive the option to update.

what I did after the update was:
  • enable developer mode on AAuto (tap the version 10x times) and then chose the developer release channel.
  • Then cleared cache
  • Then cleared data
  • Then plugged into Uconnect - went through the 'noob screens' rather than skipping and the first card in the old view was 'Click here to try the new Android Auto interface'
  • Tap the card - unplug and replug the phone and bam - new interface
YMMV!

However, i noticed a glitch with it today - testing out youtube while maps was running, the Uconnect screen went to the 'media audio' screen showing audio from AAuto and I couldnt go back to maps for whatever reason. I had to switch to radio, then back to AAuto. Only happened once, the rest seems to work okay.

here's a decent review of the comparison of the new AAuto refresh vs CarPlay:

They got a few things wrong (or maybe have specific issues with the system they were using)

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go into your apps under settings, select AA, Select Storage, Clear the Cache and the Data and then force stop the app.

Reconnect to your truck and you will see an option to use the new interface. Follow the prompts and you're good to go.
This worked for me. 8.4 non nav with a Samsung Galaxy S10. I noticed right after AA got its update, Samsung updated the OS on the phone as well, I couldn't get the new interface to work until applying the new Samsung Kernel. There are likely some extensions that are needed in the kernel for it to function properly. The website for AA says that it will vary by device, which means some old phones that are longer being updated by the manufacture may not ever be able to run the new interface.

rconiv

Reaction score
Also waiting impatiently for this update. It certainly looks nicer visually. Really hoping it will stretch down the 12" even though I doubt it will. They have certainly played with it already though as evidenced here:

They also have the full android auto in car concept that does not use a phone

I should do some searching, those articles were from May of last year, to see if anything that was in concept, has gone in to release. I can understand why they locked down the app's you can install, but I have one I wish I could install, which is CalTopo. We use a variant of it (SARTopo) for doing search and rescue in my area, and would be nice to be able to upload the mission maps on the screen for when i am doing transport and road searching in the mountains.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I can't even get my truck to recognize my phone anymore. I plug it in and it pops up a message that the device is not supported. It worked fine yesterday with the update, now it won't work at all even after downgrading the app. Has anyone else run into anything like this? Phone is a pixel 2 xl.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I can't even get my truck to recognize my phone anymore. I plug it in and it pops up a message that the device is not supported. It worked fine yesterday with the update, now it won't work at all even after downgrading the app. Has anyone else run into anything like this? Phone is a pixel 2 xl.

I have the same phone and haven't had that issue, I'm also running Android Q beta though.

J4U

Reaction score
Clearing cache didn't do anything so I uninstalled Android Auto and rebooted phone. Reinstall AA, go into settings and select new version was there.

Much cleaner. Will mess with it later
c736a746349b74c0c7a6d137d82405b2.jpg

onelochevy

Reaction score

I have a pixel 2 xl as well. Can't get AA to work, but my phone will charge.

jmac

Reaction score
Finally starting working for me this morning. But I also only have half the screen for the main menu and the map.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, Google updated something overnight. I did nothing new this morning but the option now appeared.

rconiv

Reaction score
July 24 as well and working. For those not working, see if you have this screen under the apps/Android auto/in-app notifications settings and makes sure Try the new Android auto is on.

View attachment 32470
Not sure what all I did, but I cleared out the cache, deleted data, force closed the AA app (had a while ago enabled the dev mode of released), and also signed up for the Google Play Services Beta. It updated Play Services, and then after poking other things, came across this post, and went and checked, and this was there. It wasn't there before I did all this, so it was either the force stopping (hadn't tried that yet), or the beta for play services possibly. The Play Services is on 18.7.16(100400-260764383). The AA is 4.5.592854-release. The play store says it is the version from July 24th. I am running the app on a Note 8 with the latest flavor of Android. Will plug it in to my truck later today, and see what happens. Though the phone interface still sucks, at least it looks like the touch screen will be a lot more useful.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what all I did, but I cleared out the cache, deleted data, force closed the AA app (had a while ago enabled the dev mode of released), and also signed up for the Google Play Services Beta. It updated Play Services, and then after poking other things, came across this post, and went and checked, and this was there. It wasn't there before I did all this, so it was either the force stopping (hadn't tried that yet), or the beta for play services possibly. The Play Services is on 18.7.16(100400-260764383). The AA is 4.5.592854-release. The play store says it is the version from July 24th. I am running the app on a Note 8 with the latest flavor of Android. Will plug it in to my truck later today, and see what happens. Though the phone interface still sucks, at least it looks like the touch screen will be a lot more useful.

Could also just be pure coincidence as according to various places on the internet, there may be a server side trigger or roll-out. Nonetheless, sounds like you're good to go.

The new interface is a little more polished but I can't say that it's better for how I use it, music and nav. It's always worked for me so I'm just happy it's still working. ;)

onelochevy

Reaction score
Just checked my app and it has been updated. Hopefully AA will work in my truck now. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.

SSN765

Reaction score
Mine is also working now. Tested on my truck and wife's 19 Jeep GC.

Users who are viewing this thread