5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto Refresh

Hunts99

Reaction score
Has anyone received the new Android Auto update? They are rolling out the update now. I have not received any update, but in doing research, part of the update is for "wide screens". For us with a "long" screen, I was wondering if anyone is seeing any updates and outside of the look and feel of it or if there are any major changes since we have the 12" screen that I need to be prepped for.

One thing that I am curious about is the ability to look through older text messages (e.g. my wife text's me with her order as I go to pick up dinner, and right now I have to pull the phone off of AA to see what she wanted exactly and cannot view on AA).

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for me yet, even did the data and cache reset as well as checked the play store.

So you know, you can toggle the option in AA on your phone as to whether or not to lock the phone this way you can see your history via phone while still connected.

Hunts99

Reaction score
Not for me yet, even did the data and cache reset as well as checked the play store.

So you know, you can toggle the option in AA on your phone as to whether or not to lock the phone this way you can see your history via phone while still connected.
I tried that the data cache reset too and no go for me....I am just curious as to how it will look on the 12".

I knew about the setting, but when I turn on AA, its corded, and I place it in the phone spot down below the screen, and unfortunately starting tomorrow in Minnesota if you "hold" your phone in anyway, it is now against the law. Just wanting it to do things on the up-and-up :cool:

rconiv

Reaction score
Wonder if the update will make the interface not look like it was designed by a 5 year old. I really don't like it, since it is so bulky, and kind of useless, so make sure to have my Ipod always plugged in, so that it won't try to constantly push the app, even when I say no I don't want it, and we go through the cycle of are you sure, are you really sure, are you really really sure. Though this all said, is it needed to do voice text replies? I select that option, and it comes up and asks me to pick a preset reply.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried that the data cache reset too and no go for me....I am just curious as to how it will look on the 12".

I knew about the setting, but when I turn on AA, its corded, and I place it in the phone spot down below the screen, and unfortunately starting tomorrow in Minnesota if you "hold" your phone in anyway, it is now against the law. Just wanting it to do things on the up-and-up :cool:

Don't know this for a fact but I believe there are two components for Android Auto: phone app and capability in vehicle. G is updating the phone app but I think that unless Ram updates the projection capability for the 12" we will still just get the top half of the screen. I don't think a simple app update will automatically translate into 12" full screen.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I got the update but my truck is at home, I'll have to check it out tonight.

You can download an updated .apk file and sideload it (that is what I did), you then have to go into settings and enable the new interface.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I got the update but my truck is at home, I'll have to check it out tonight.

You can download an updated .apk file and sideload it (that is what I did), you then have to go into settings and enable the new interface.
Do you have a link. I used an apk for the latest version and it's still showing the old interface.

Hunts99

Reaction score
Don't know this for a fact but I believe there are two components for Android Auto: phone app and capability in vehicle. G is updating the phone app but I think that unless Ram updates the projection capability for the 12" we will still just get the top half of the screen. I don't think a simple app update will automatically translate into 12" full screen.

Would love to be proven wrong though.
I would love to be wrong too...but I think that you are probably right....

Hunts99

Reaction score
Wonder if the update will make the interface not look like it was designed by a 5 year old. I really don't like it, since it is so bulky, and kind of useless, so make sure to have my Ipod always plugged in, so that it won't try to constantly push the app, even when I say no I don't want it, and we go through the cycle of are you sure, are you really sure, are you really really sure. Though this all said, is it needed to do voice text replies? I select that option, and it comes up and asks me to pick a preset reply.
It looks a lot more polished than the current version. But I agree with the annoyance of the "really really sure"....my wife gets it every time she plugs her phone in (and it keeps repeating itself). I also had uConnect issues when trying to charge multiple phones via USB-C....to the point it kept rebooting the uConnect (probably due to not knowing what to connect to).

For voice texts, yes, AA does a surprisingly well job of doing voice to texts, where as using the native uConnect you are limited to a subset of predefined messages.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I believe that you have to enable the new version in the settings (make sure it is v4.5.5928). It will say something like "Try the new Android Auto" (from what I have read).
Tried there is no option in either the regular setting or developer mode settings and I am on that version.

maddog49

Reaction score
Also waiting impatiently for this update. It certainly looks nicer visually. Really hoping it will stretch down the 12" even though I doubt it will. They have certainly played with it already though as evidenced here:

They also have the full android auto in car concept that does not use a phone

timtlu

Reaction score
These pictures make me WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC AND EXCITED about this update and what it possibly means for my 12" display.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These pictures make me WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC AND EXCITED about this update and what it possibly means for my 12" display.

View attachment 32390
View attachment 32391

Would love the full 12" but these pics are highly suspicious since they removed the bottom Uconnect app bar. How are you supposed to now control AC, cameras, controls, built in media, etc.? This looks either dev or photoshopped.

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would love the full 12" but these pics are highly suspicious since they removed the bottom Uconnect app bar. How are you supposed to now control AC, cameras, controls, built in media, etc.? This looks either dev or photoshopped.
Agree with this as well. I'd go with a photoshop concept but it does give me hope that there is a plan for a full screen overlay.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
When I tried it out last night it was still 1/2 screen, I didn't see a setting for full screen.

• Sad
Reactions: Jtr

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried there is no option in either the regular setting or developer mode settings and I am on that version.

Hmm. I just got the update and no option for that either. I did notice that my settings screen looks identical to the previous version, even after a reboot. Here is a screen shot of what it is supposed to look like. No idea why we're having this issue unless there is some other Google component that is not updated.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Agree with this as well. I'd go with a photoshop concept but it does give me hope that there is a plan for a full screen overlay.
These system pictures are from the manufacturers renderings. They have been installing a fully self powered android system that is not uconnect in other manufacturers cars in Europe. Same screen and system with different programming.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. I just got the update and no option for that either. I did notice that my settings screen looks identical to the previous version, even after a reboot. Here is a screen shot of what it is supposed to look like. No idea why we're having this issue unless there is some other Google component that is not updated.

Go into your apps under settings, select AA, Select Storage, Clear the Cache and the Data and then force stop the app.

Reconnect to your truck and you will see an option to use the new interface. Follow the prompts and you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread