5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Ain't looking over 125 pages but is anyone driving 295/20s with the 3.21?

Jedi9

Reaction score
295/60R20s, they weigh in at 63 lbs. I may reconsider and go to 275/65R20 and save 5 lbs

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
295/60R20s, they weigh in at 63 lbs. I may reconsider and go to 275/65R20 and save 5 lbs
I think you'll be ok with 295s. I definitely wouldn't go too tall because the taller the tire, the taller the tire, the lower your gear ratio will be. I'd def recommend 3.92 gears for say 35" tires. Less weight it always better too.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Putting the big azz mudders is a great reason to get the slow gears. One of the few….

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Going to Discount Tire Saturday to have new Wildpeak AT4s put on. The Firesones in the picture did ok for the past 48k.

View attachment 176422 View attachment 176423
Very nice looking truck! You did a nice job on it.

When I was younger, I bought a brand new 95 ram regular cab four-wheel-drive. By the time I totaled it, I had it all tricked out. I love that truck. Had the small v8 and stick shift. Went anywhere. Now I just by runningboards and a topper, lol.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely interested in your thoughts on those tires. I'm deciding between those and the R/T01 for the F-350 when the factory tires are done.
I'll let you know after a few miles on them. They all seem nice when brand new!

The Firestones did good. They wore well and were quiet. They have a out 47k on them and honestly might still have 25% tread life left. That is the downfall to them. Now that they are lower, they don't grip nearly as well. I just put it in 4 Auto when the road is wet because they will break traction quick.

I almost got Duratracs because they always did well on my Jeeps. They are a hundred more per tire too and I don't need that aggressive of a tread anymore.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll let you know after a few miles on them. They all seem nice when brand new!

The Firestones did good. They wore well and were quiet. They have a out 47k on them and honestly might still have 25% tread life left. That is the downfall to them. Now that they are lower, they don't grip nearly as well. I just put it in 4 Auto when the road is wet because they will break traction quick.

I almost got Duratracs because they always did well on my Jeeps. They are a hundred more per tire too and I don't need that aggressive of a tread anymore.
I really liked the Coopers I had on the Ram, but wanted to try something else. The stock tires are pretty good on the highway, but I've had to use 4wd in a wet field.

mattee

Reaction score
I've always been a BF Goodrich All Terrain fan but looking to try something new. I'm ready to flip a coin between the Wildpeak AT4 and Cooper Rugged Trek. My truck came with the Wildpeak at3wa from the factory but they are lower grade then true at3w. now that the new Wildpeaks came out they look pretty good to me. Local shop near me swears by Falken tires

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always been a BF Goodrich All Terrain fan but looking to try something new. I'm ready to flip a coin between the Wildpeak AT4 and Cooper Rugged Trek. My truck came with the Wildpeak at3wa from the factory but they are lower grade then true at3w. now that the new Wildpeaks came out they look pretty good to me. Local shop near me swears by Falken tires
AT3W are great tires. I'm leaning towards the AT4W when I'm ready to get tires and they make the 285/55R22 that I'm looking for.

spyder

Reaction score
Going to Discount Tire Saturday to have new Wildpeak AT4s put on. The Firesones in the picture did ok for the past 48k.

If ya had gone with the 3.21 instead of 3.92 gear set, you'd be able to afford better than discount tires, sir. The fuel economy on the 3.21's is significant over the ninety twos.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Obviously just clueless. The simple 5 mph gentle breeze that bogs down your weak and feckless 3.21 gears causing you to hold the pedal to the floor trying to not get run into a ditch by the 1968 VW bug will more than make up for milage. Of course if you are accustomed to this, well, you know what they say is bliss.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread