5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidbt

Reaction score
If backing up a TT (or most any trailer), especially on grass or a loose surface and without 4x, would 3.21 give you less wheelspin?

I was turning a 90 degree corner (forward from a stop) the other day and there was a bit of gravel/sand on the asphalt. I "lit em' up (inside wheel) with the 3.92's. Wife didn't laugh, just gave me one of "those looks". Don't remember the 3.21's doing that as easy.
(There, that's my today contribution to 3,000 posts.)
Got that same look from my wife last year talking off from a traffic light. Gotta be careful with our 3.92's. The power is addicting 😁

spyder

Reaction score
Because opinions, like yours, are what gives us good, or fun debates. I mean, based on your opinion the v6 option would be the better option for majority of people
Well, using logic, yes. Yes it would. The number of people who drive these trucks have no need for the 5.7 in any way. But logic doesn't account for fun. :D

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, using logic, yes. Yes it would. The number of people who drive these trucks have no need for the 5.7 in any way. But logic doesn't account for fun. :D
You are right. I didn't need a 5.7. I needed a Hellephant engine jammed under the hood but could not afford it. I settled for a little 5.7l. 😁

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once again, 3.21 guys pointing out the lack of manhood that they cannot achieve. Bought a truck in hopes of manhood and then discovered it would not work. Much the same as age taking the testosterone from them.

It is ok to look to the alphas and make reasons for not leading a pack. Sad really. Reduced to shopping runs and soccer mom duty. ☹️
It would be the 3.92s that lack the manhood, and compensate.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Me and my 3.92's would love to help pull this thread to 3,000 posts!

For the record, my previous truck was a 4th gen Big Horn 5.7 w/ 3.21's. it was a great truck too. But I love my 3.92 EcoD. When I ordered my current truck the E-Locker was unavailable on the 3.21 and 3.55 so it HAD to be a 3.92. I'm not unhappy with the gearing, this truck has been great to me so far!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the 3.21 owners are really just frightened by engine noise. 😧 We could develop a quieter exhaust system for them. 🤫 My old Cheyenne (may it rest in peace) had no overdrive on 4.10 gears, made power the old fashioned way by burning fuel at a high rate. :cool:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the 3.21 owners are really just frightened by engine noise. 😧 We could develop a quieter exhaust system for them. 🤫 My old Cheyenne (may it rest in peace) had no overdrive on 4.10 gears, made power the old fashioned way by burning fuel at a high rate. :cool:

The 3.92 burns fuel at a high rate also… “old fashioned way”.

Nice try. 😁

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I built an S10 truck with a 406 and TH350 and 4.10 with 25" tire. 9mpg (rarely) commuting or pulling my boat. Before conversion, 27mpg with 2.5, stick - no OD, with the 4.10s. 10gal tank sucked for a 60 mile round trip. Yes, topped up every morning.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. The way God meant pickups to be!

The pickup was never intended to be the gutless mutation with 3.21 gears making it a Prius with a bed.

I have to agree with you on Prius with bed.

None of these 1500s are a capable truck. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a 1500. Came from 1 ton and looking to go back. Prob keep my Prius with bed. 1500s drive and ride awesome. Truck stuff is terrible. Way to soft. Really have to have an HD truck to do anything.

Towing numbers look good, especially 3.92 trucks. Fools ALOT of people. But there should be some fine print besides all these towing numbers that state that if want to use that tow rating in these 1500s,
it must be the basic truck, no options, must use WDH, and nobody but a driver with a wallet and small coffee… because the payload will limit you to what a Prius can carry.

Look at all the folks that do truck stuff adding rear spacers, bags, etc to try to do some truck stuff (like myself).

Long rant, but the 3.92 is just another Prius with a bed that burns more gas than needed for what it is capable of doing.

If I had to guess what truck Jesus would drive. No doubt a 3rd generation 3500 Cummins, 4WD, manual trans, straight piped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread