5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once again, 3.21 guys pointing out the lack of manhood that they cannot achieve. Bought a truck in hopes of manhood and then discovered it would not work. Much the same as age taking the testosterone from them.

It is ok to look to the alphas and make reasons for not leading a pack. Sad really. Reduced to shopping runs and soccer mom duty. ☹️

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Most of you remember the story "the secret life of Walter Mitty" but maybe that's what it is. Walter has 3.21's with a Pentastar and dreams of 3.92's with a hemi.

No kidding, when I was shopping for my 2019, the dealer had a Pentastar Limited 3.21. I drove it and then the hemi back to back, it was a really sad comparison... Sad for the dealer trying to offload the V6 anyway.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I once owned a 2016 Toyota Tacoma with a V-6, I know apples to oranges, and towed a 5K lb boat, it towed it just fine until you had to climb with it. So when I started looking into trading my 3500 for a 1500, I wasn't going any less than a V8, and the 5.7 Hemi was a good choice. I owned a 92 Dakota with the 318, and a 94 2500 Ram with a 360, the 5.7 out performs them and I'm very happy with it. Do I like the mpg, not so much, but with the HP towing my Tritoon its just right. My 2019 3500 CTD SRW HO was the best I've ever towed with, but after selling the 5ver, I had no need of the expense of the CTD.
I know this is a old post. It just resonates with me because I had a 2018 3500 CTD SO that was by far my favorite truck. We traded our 5r for a 24' travel trailer that I just couldn't justify the diesel anymore. I'm liking my 21 Big Horn more and more every time I drive it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was shopping, my want list literally said 4.0~5.0 engine and 3.50~3.77 axle. Since I do have towables and plans, going smaller wasn't an option. I'm really disappointed that they never built the Pentastar to its potential. I clearly remember them advertising it as multiple versions in the 3.0~4.0 range and forced induction capable, but instead they only built a 3.6 version which IMO is too big for cars but too small for trucks. Tried to cover both markets with an engine that doesn't fit either.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Most of you remember the story "the secret life of Walter Mitty" but maybe that's what it is. Walter has 3.21's with a Pentastar and dreams of 3.92's with a hemi.

No kidding, when I was shopping for my 2019, the dealer had a Pentastar Limited 3.21. I drove it and then the hemi back to back, it was a really sad comparison... Sad for the dealer trying to offload the V6 anyway.

I believe the Limited only came with the 5.7 Hemi with and without eTorque.

Casull

Reaction score
Once again, 3.21 guys pointing out the lack of manhood that they cannot achieve. Bought a truck in hopes of manhood and then discovered it would not work. Much the same as age taking the testosterone from them.

It is ok to look to the alphas and make reasons for not leading a pack. Sad really. Reduced to shopping runs and soccer mom duty. ☹️

True alphas never refer to themselves that way. They don't need to.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You want to be able to run away from girls? Huh. :unsure:;)
I need the speed to keep them from running away from me! 🤣
When I was shopping, my want list literally said 4.0~5.0 engine and 3.50~3.77 axle. Since I do have towables and plans, going smaller wasn't an option. I'm really disappointed that they never built the Pentastar to its potential. I clearly remember them advertising it as multiple versions in the 3.0~4.0 range and forced induction capable, but instead they only built a 3.6 version which IMO is too big for cars but too small for trucks. Tried to cover both markets with an engine that doesn't fit either.
You are right, to big for a car, to small for a Ram but would be just right for a Dakota....
True alphas never refer to themselves that way. They don't need to.
No, but the betas feel the need for a .454 when 9mm would do just fine. Any different? 🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too big for cars? We don't need that type of negativity here

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I believe the Limited only came with the 5.7 Hemi with and without eTorqueEdit, I looked it up, 2019 RAM 1500 Limited specs on car buzz.com and confirmed it. Came standard with the V6. Don't know why a dealer would order one in like that.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I believe the Limited only came with the 5.7 Hemi with and without eTorque.
From an online search of 2019 specs:
www.carbuzz.com

2019 Ram 1500 Limited 2WD Crew Cab 5'7" Box powered by 3.6L V6 Gas Engine with 8-Speed Automatic transmission.
Select configuration:

$53,490
Starting Price (MSRP)
engine.svg

Engine
3.6L V6 Gas
transmission.svg

Transmission
8-Speed Automatic
drivetrain.svg

Drivetrain
Rear-Wheel Drive
car.svg

Body Type
Truck
seats.svg

Seating capacity
5 seater

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.carbuzz.com

2019 Ram 1500 Limited 2WD Crew Cab 5'7" Box powered by 3.6L V6 Gas Engine with 8-Speed Automatic transmission.
Select configuration:

$53,490
Starting Price (MSRP)
engine.svg

Engine
3.6L V6 Gas
transmission.svg

Transmission
8-Speed Automatic
drivetrain.svg

Drivetrain
Rear-Wheel Drive
car.svg

Body Type
Truck
seats.svg

Seating capacity
5 seater
I haven't found a Limited (yet) with a 3.6L Pentastar. Granted, I only started collecting build sheets for 2022+ trucks. I can tell you there's not a single Limited with Pentastar in those years. Perhaps there were some made for 2019-2021, but I kinda doubt it. All I've seen (from a few minutes of internet research) is marketing data. No actual trucks.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
www.carbuzz.com

Select configuration:

$53,490
Starting Price (MSRP)
engine.svg

Engine
3.6L V6 Gas
transmission.svg

Transmission
8-Speed Automatic
drivetrain.svg

Drivetrain
Rear-Wheel Drive
car.svg

Body Type
Truck
seats.svg

Seating capacity
5 seater

You are right. The 2019 Limited came with the V6 and V8.

ram 1500 - Dealer E Process https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/ram/2019-1500.pdf

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I haven't found a Limited (yet) with a 3.6L Pentastar. Granted, I only started collecting build sheets for 2022+ trucks. I can tell you there's not a single Limited with Pentastar in those years. Perhaps there were some made for 2019-2021, but I kinda doubt it. All I've seen (from a few minutes of internet research) is marketing data. No actual trucks.
There was a March 19, 2020 post on a thread entitled “why did you buy a V6 instead of a hemi” as follows: (Note that the Longhorn and the Limited are pretty much the same).

“No problems with mine, it's just a bit overmatched by the sheer weight of my almost completely loaded Longhorn--the only two options I don't have are the 22s and/or the ORG.

As you can see from my sig, my fuel economy isn't great. My subdivision is on a main road with a routine speed of 55-60mph...I usually have to flog the engine to get up to speed quickly if there's any significant amount of traffic.

All that said, I'll bet I'd like the engine more if I had a lighter trim. When I turn my lease in in November 2021, I plan to get another Ram 1500, but I'll be looking at either the diesel or the theoretical 3.0T if it's out by then.” End of quoted post.

I could probably dig up other posts from this site as well as the competition forum. Just to say that there was a 2019 V6 Limited, I test drove one. It just downshifted too much for me.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from. We're not full-time anymore and only travel a couple times a year.
I told my wife that if we go home next year, I'm buying another Ram 1500 and putting the F-350 in the garage with the trailer. She laughed. I laughed. I think that means it's a go. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread