5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of people like the 3.92 for that 0-30 towing gear. It gives you better acceleration off the line which makes the truck drive a bit more sporty. That may be why some people call the 3.21 "slow" or "sluggish" (even though there isn't THAT much difference).
^^^This exactly.

With any of my vehicles I want the shortest rear dif gears possible... zero to where I want to be swiftly.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Awesome information and great explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All you idiots chiming in here saying this ones for me or I picked right please get a life.
To the OP thank you for putting it together so people are informed.

Flyrod11ft

Reaction score
Great job writing that up. I have the 3.92, tow a boat, and could have gotten away with 3.21 gears but the truck had everything I wanted and had 3.92’s so thats what I have now. Again thanks for taking the time to do this

magic280z

Reaction score
I went from a 3.21 4th gen to a 3.92 5th Gen both 8 spd. I believe there is no reason the 3.21 shouldn't feel the same most of the time, but the shift programming is just too aggressive. The 3.92 seems to include some extra play that makes the aggressive upshifts more tolerable or the programming is better now. The local inventory was mostly 3.92 this time so I never test drove a 5th Gen 3.21.

Also the 3.21 8 spd in first is still better than the 3.92 6 speed in first.

If Ram would give us a sport mode they could solve so many issues.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Magnetic

Reaction score
Using the data provided, it appears that at lower non-highway speeds where the 3.92 stays in gear 4,5,6,7 or 8 that it would be slightly more fuel efficient than a 3.21 in gear 3,4,5,6 or 7….

R

Rob5589

Using the data provided, it appears that at lower non-highway speeds where the 3.92 stays in gear 4,5,6,7 or 8 that it would be slightly more fuel efficient than a 3.21 in gear 3,4,5,6 or 7….
A lower gear ratio can improve mileage in a towing situation. I have done several gear swaps to improve towing performance, and many have seen an increase in mpg.
A gear swap simply puts the engine in a better torque range so the engine has to struggle less to keep a certain speed/momentum. It also allows the engine to reach a certain rpm quicker which leads to more efficient power delivery.
The advent of 6+ speed transmissions has changed the need for ultra low gearing. You can get a low 1st (4.xx) and still maintain a reasonable final drive to improve mpg. Not to mention the 8 speed has a much smoother transition gear to gear than the old 3 spd autos.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Please refrain from personal attacks or any other actions that violate the terms and conditions of the site. Thank you.
At the risk of perpetuating controversy - I feel compelled to ask... is this regarding the post three days ago?

I'm trying to get a feel for the dynamics of this forum ... all are a bit different and I've found this one to be relatively free from drama... but I think it's in the best interest of all members to know what boundaries are set by site owner(s)...

Due to the nature of Ram Truck owner personalities - maturity and self regulation is almost a given... I've noticed (minimal) adolescent posts - that tend to be ignored... seems to work pretty well.

Sorry for going down the rabbit hole guys - when opportunity to learn strikes, I'm asking (whether about a Ram truck or a Ram truck Forum).

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At the risk of perpetuating controversy - I feel compelled to ask... is this regarding the post three days ago?

I'm trying to get a feel for the dynamics of this forum ... all are a bit different and I've found this one to be relatively free from drama... but I think it's in the best interest of all members to know what boundaries are set by site owner(s)...

Due to the nature of Ram Truck owner personalities - maturity and self regulation is almost a given... I've noticed (minimal) adolescent posts - that tend to be ignored... seems to work pretty well.

Sorry for going down the rabbit hole guys - when opportunity to learn strikes, I'm asking (whether about a Ram truck or a Ram truck Forum).
Yes, that was the post that caused me to put the reminder out to everyone in the thread, as 1) people were starting to respond to it and report it to the moderators.

I'd say it this way...no issue with disagreements as long as the conversations stay civil. When it gets personal, vulgar, etc is when I'll step in with a reminder and or other actions.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Yes, that was the post that caused me to put the reminder out to everyone in the thread, as 1) people were starting to respond to it and report it to the moderators.

I'd say it this way...no issue with disagreements as long as the conversations stay civil. When it gets personal, vulgar, etc is when I'll step in with a reminder and or other actions.
Understood - thank you for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online