5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still theoretical numbers. You are assuming a lot without any factual data to support it as far as average fuel mileage. Also, every owner will be different due to different driving habits. One can not "factually" make up numbers to support ones argument and claim to be correct. Without comparing two equally optioned trucks, other than hearing, side by side under the same conditions, anything being discussed here is theoretical, or "best guess". You can try to engineer your way out of it based on RPM and EPA estimates of fuel mileage, but we all know how BS the EPA estimates are.

Those are not theoretical numbers. They're my numbers and 100% accurate with no "best guess".

Like I said, you're delusional. Facts don't matter because you have an opinion and you want to hold onto it despite evidence showing how bad it really is.

BowDown

Reaction score
Where did you get your numbers from? I doubt anyone is getting 17-18mpg in city driving. Right now, I'm averaging about 15-16mpg displayed mileage in "city" driving.

As for your blanket statement about people complaining in every other thread about fuel mileage, most don't specify what gears they have in most threads. And anyone complaining about gas mileage in a V8 powered 1/2 ton truck probably shouldn't be driving a truck.

My city driving right now 20211007_083020.jpg

As for the complaining, look in the mileage thread, their gears are listed in their signatures and the vast majority are 3.92 but you absolutely don't have to take my word for it, browse those threads and see for yourself.

And before you move the goal posts 20211007_084154.jpg

I have always averaged 17-18 mpg in the city and I don't drive slow. I drive 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit regularly

Attachments

• 20211007_083020.jpg
    20211007_083020.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Just about as many as there are 3:21 guys claiming they get better milage than a Prius.

3:92 guys understand they are driving a truck and not an econobox. They understand that trucks are heavy machines. They understand that truck tires are heavy. They know that these heavy trucks with oversized heavy duty tires require power to propel them and that uses fuel. They realize that lifts can be useful for fun times and sometimes just cool. They also know that this requires fuel consumption.

3:92 guys have this knowledge and are proud to not be a neckbeard in a Prius. But there is something we don't understand. We know that this phenomena exists out there but it is outside of our comprehension. 3:21 guys would be the ideal ones to explain it to us since they would be most familiar with the condition. What's it like to go through life with a miniature winkie? I mean really, it must be tough when she says "Oh, no thanks, I don't smoke".

Not one 3.21 geared truck owner is claiming better mileage than a Prius, not one.
The 3.92 guys seem to think that having those gears turns their truck in to Porsche 911's though, "I can burn out all the way across the intersection" , "3.92's make the truck much more fun and sporty to drive" .
Yeah, a 5-6000 lbd truck with 3.92 gears is a bolt of lightning Lol.

There's nothing you can do to these trucks that make them fast, nothing

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not one 3.21 geared truck owner is claiming better mileage than a Prius, not one.
The 3.92 guys seem to think that having those gears turns their truck in to Porsche 911's though, "I can burn out all the way across the intersection" , "3.92's make the truck much more fun and sporty to drive" .

💯
I see so many truck drivers driving it like they stole it. I don't get it. You're in a land barge. Even if you're driving a TRX it's really not that fast. Fast for truck, totally! But not fast in terms of fast.

BowDown

Reaction score
💯
I see so many truck drivers driving it like they stole it. I don't get it. You're in a land barge. Even if you're driving a TRX it's really not that fast. Fast for truck, totally! But not fast in terms of fast.

Nope, not at all.
I bought this truck for luxury and minimal me having to do a thing to it.
No cold air, no muffler and I only tow a few times a year, so I want the best mileage I can get while still doing truck stuff, it suits me fine.

I want fast, really fast, I have a heavily modded Z06 I can drive.
A street version of a TRX wouldn't really interest me, I have no delusions about what this truck is

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, not at all.
I bought this truck for luxury and minimal me having to do a thing to it.
No cold air, no muffler and I only tow a few times a year, so I want the best mileage I can get while still doing truck stuff, it suits me fine.

I want fast, really fast, I have a heavily modded Z06 I can drive.
A street version of a TRX wouldn't really interest me, I have no delusions about what this truck is
I'm the exact same way minus the heavily modded Z06. I do miss my fast(ish) car days though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those are not theoretical numbers. They're my numbers and 100% accurate with no "best guess".

Like I said, you're delusional. Facts don't matter because you have an opinion and you want to hold onto it despite evidence showing how bad it really is.
So you have owned and driven, long term, both a 3.92 geared Hemi 5th gen and a 3.21 gears Hemi 5th gen?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over my 12,000 miles (7,700 mi of those towing) I have averaged 11 mpg overall

16.8 mpg mixed driving
8.5 mpg towing

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You're driving a truck. The only mode it has is slow.
Mine seems to be a lot faster than the morning idiots in the far left lane of the 5 lane interstate we call the Beltway here in DC. They all seem to think puttering along at 65 is acceptable. Move over a lane and let those of us who want to go down the road go. I have to go to work and pay some extra taxes. Plenty of illegals are counting on me.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My city driving right now View attachment 107411

As for the complaining, look in the mileage thread, their gears are listed in their signatures and the vast majority are 3.92 but you absolutely don't have to take my word for it, browse those threads and see for yourself.

And before you move the goal posts View attachment 107412

I have always averaged 17-18 mpg in the city and I don't drive slow. I drive 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit regularly
Pokey.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Over my 12,000 miles (7,700 mi of those towing) I have averaged 11 mpg overall

16.8 mpg mixed driving
8.5 mpg towing
Last time I towed a 16 ft trailer loaded with metal I made over 12 mpg. Thought that was pretty good. I’m averaging 18.4 mixed driving on 87 octane right now. Completely satisfied for a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

By the way, you might be right. 3:21 guys don't think they get better milage than a Prius. They think it is better milage than a Tesla.

The far superior 3:92 gears give the truck the gas milage of a 2021 Porsche 911...

• 16.9AVG MPG
  • 4Vehicles
  • 98Fuel-ups
  • 19,263Miles Tracked
  • View All 2021 Porsche 911s
But speed wise, phhhht. More like the Tesla that 3:21 guys think they get better milage than. This clouded thinking of the 3:21 crowd could be from the same lack of testosterone that has thier beards at thier necks and compels them to sip iced lattes at Starbucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
So you have owned and driven, long term, both a 3.92 geared Hemi 5th gen and a 3.21 gears Hemi 5th gen?

Why do you bother asking this type of question? There is no answer I can give that will make you change your mind.

If I say: "Yes I've owned both" you'll just say "well your experiences aren't representative"
If I say: "No I've never owned either" you'll say "there you go, you can't possibly know the fuel economy of either one"
If I say: "I've driven both" you'll say "driving isn't the same as long term ownership"
If I say: "I've owned and/or driven both" you'll say "you need to drive the one longer to form a better idea"

... and so on.

You made up your mind without facts, so facts cannot be used to change your mind. Just move on, argue with the wind, because I'm done.

BowDown

Reaction score
By the way, you might be right. 3:21 guys don't think they get better milage than a Prius. They think it is better milage than a Tesla.

The far superior 3:92 gears give the truck the gas milage of a 2021 Porsche 911...

• 16.9AVG MPG
  • 4Vehicles
  • 98Fuel-ups
  • 19,263Miles Tracked
But speed wise, phhhht. More like the Tesla that 3:21 guys think they get better milage than. This clouded thinking of the 3:21 crowd could be from the same lack of testosterone that has thier beards at thier necks and compels them to sip iced lattes at Starbucks.

But get the performance and mileage of a Datsun B210.
Now a 3.21 truck is the superior vehicle because it can out perform a 3.92 in any type of race.
Uphill
Downhill
In the rain
In the mud
In the grass
In the snow
In the sun
In a shadow
Pulling a shopping cart sipping an Espresso
In reverse
100-0 mph
0-100 mph
0-200 mph
5-250 mph
ANY RACE!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

• 16.9AVG MPG
  • 4Vehicles
  • 98Fuel-ups
  • 19,263Miles Tracked
I dunno brah, sounds like you've got some road rage, which is linked to aggressive behavior - which is linked to hormonal imbalances. You might want to get checked out just to be on the safe side. Leave a little earlier, drive the speed limit and don't feel compelled to weave in and out of traffic with an elevated sense of superior purpose driving down the road. It makes drives much more enjoyable and I personally enjoy a little extra podcast listening over getting somewhere a minute or two earlier.

It reminds me of this batty wack job of a woman my wife and I observed on our most recent road trip. There was a massive wreck on the interstate and we all got off to detour on a two lane road that paralleled the interstate for several miles. This woman was flipping out over being in a long line of traffic going 50 mph in a 55 mph zone (tons of 18 wheelers and hilly terrain). Anyway, there was a brief spot, about 1/8th of a mile, where our lane of traffic opened up to two lanes to allow vehicles to pass. This dingbat swings over to the right lane (as she approaches the lane ending sign) and tries to floor it past everyone. She ran out of lane and drove onto the side of road as she got next to us and slammed on the brakes - but not before running into someone's trash cans.

She managed to send these people's cans flying a good 15 or 20 feet in the air throwing trash everywhere as well as losing the passenger side mirror COMPLETELY and ripping off half her front bumper. She didn't stop either. She just kept tailgating and freaking out. She finally found a place to pass and barely avoided a head on collision as we were all approaching the onramp for the interstate at the next exit. About 15 minutes later we caught up to her and she had been pulled over by a state trooper.

Seems like the road rage was successful and productive. Get angry enough and you'll definitely bend society to your will. :p

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
As a matter of fact I do get hormones checked every six months as part of my regular blood work. They are right on target.

I don't weave in and out of traffic either. I find it much more effective to just bump the poke alongs in the back. That usually wakes them up and gets them rolling. If not, bump a little off center and they go spiraling out of the way. Easy peasy.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I do get hormones checked every six months as part of my regular blood work. They are right on target.

I don't weave in and out of traffic either. I find it much more effective to just bump the poke alongs in the back. That usually wakes them up and gets them rolling. If not, bump a little off center and they go spiraling out of the way. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• 3Vv2G6v.png
    3Vv2G6v.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread