5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very nice write up. I have the 2020 1500 Classic, 392 ( I mean to say 5.7 Hemi — confused as my first Hemi was the 392 hemi of my 1956 St Regis), 3.21, 2wd.

Towing my 5000 lb trailer seems best in 6th gear which I need to select manually, as the tow mode typically runs under or at 2000 rpm at 57 mph. Where can I find a torque curve for this setup? What would you suggest as the optimum cruising rpm As the cruise control selects 7th ?

Appreciate your insight.

I typically pull at 2300 RPMs or so, little more little less, but in 6th gear. My truck picks that gear naturally, but I do lock out 7th just because sometimes it might want to upshift for a few seconds.

So I put it in TH mode, and then use gear limiter to lock it down to 6th.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically pull at 2300 RPMs or so, little more little less, but in 6th gear. My truck picks that gear naturally, but I do lock out 7th just because sometimes it might want to upshift for a few seconds.

So I put it in TH mode, and then use gear limiter to lock it down to 6th.
How much weight do you pull?

silver billet

Reaction score
I believe the trailer is rated to 7500 pounds gross, but I don't always load it right up. Never weighed it, but I have to be over 5000 pounds anyway. For the most part, I can't really tell much difference in terms of weight, towing it empty vs loaded, maybe a bit off the line but I have to think its mostly wind resistance/drag that is the real issue on the freeway, it's a giant brick back there and no getting around that.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the trailer is rated to 7500 pounds gross, but I don't always load it right up. Never weighed it, but I have to be over 5000 pounds anyway. For the most part, I can't really tell much difference in terms of weight, towing it empty vs loaded, maybe a bit off the line but I have to think its mostly wind resistance/drag that is the real issue on the freeway, it's a giant brick back there and no getting around that.
I'm curious to see how little I'll be able to tow once mine comes in. As long as I can handle one of those smaller pull behind RV's, on occasion, I don't guess it matters all that much.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how little I'll be able to tow once mine comes in. As long as I can handle one of those smaller pull behind RV's, on occasion, I don't guess it matters all that much.

For sure, there are many trailers you'd be able to pull. The drivetrain isn't the week spot in our trucks, so you'll have enough power to pull 8000+ pounds, it's more about payload and keeping your tongue weight down.

Especially in your truck: Limited, etorque, ORG, ram box, 4x4, those are all heavy so I'd be careful and read your door jamb for payload specs.

Have to say I'm jealous of your 33 gallon tank though! I factory ordered my truck but missed that feature and really wish I had it.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For sure, there are many trailers you'd be able to pull. The drivetrain isn't the week spot in our trucks, so you'll have enough power to pull 8000+ pounds, it's more about payload and keeping your tongue weight down.

Especially in your truck: Limited, etorque, ORG, ram box, 4x4, those are all heavy so I'd be careful and read your door jamb for payload specs.

Have to say I'm jealous of your 33 gallon tank though! I factory ordered my truck but missed that feature and really wish I had it.
Yeah, I was explaining it all to my wife and I think she's a little disappointed, but I also wasn't going to buy a 2500 for something I might pull 1 or 2 times in the next 5+ years. For my use, the ram boxes are legitimately useful and I'm in a place in life where I want unnecessary creature comforts.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tip:
Get rid of the 'AVE MPG' on your center screen, replace it with your speed and put the clock where your speed is now.
Your drives will be much more stress free. f I'm at 6k miles on mine and 12.6 is still considered good for my truck. Mostly around town.
I definitely agree, lol

Redfour5

Reaction score
I definitely agree, lol
I had to take the Bighorn level 1 package and got the 3.5 "color" TFT EVIC. I had the 7 inch on my 2015. I did get the console and not the bench seats. I checked the EVIC out though and with the four analog guages, it shows everything my 2015 shows and I like analog guages being an old fart, so, I'm liking it. I had a 2013 with the 3.5 EVIC in black and white and it sucked in comparison, but the new color 3.5 is decent. I haven't used the trailer related stuff yet. I assume it will be OK also.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m realizing my 90% city driving is killing my mpg far more than I thought it would. Sadly none of my drives are 70% highway

neeginan

Reaction score
Most people"got" whatever gears they have because that's what was available when they bought their truck off the lot. I don't care what anyone says but most people don't special order, they just look around until they find a vehicle that meets their criteria and then they buy it. I doubt even 10% of all the buyers out there even even know what gears their truck has much less requested a specific gear when they were truck shopping to begin with.

Not in my case. I only looked at trucks with the 3.92 because I knew I was going with larger tires and I didn't want to end up with an effective axle ration in the high 2's or ~3.0.

Assuming stock tire size of 275 55 R20 (or another ~32 in tire): If you have a 3.92 and go with 275 65 R20 tires, you will reduce your 3.92 to effectively a ~ 3.67. That's what I currently have.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Curious, is the 3.92 in a Rebel with 33 inch tires the same as the 3.92 in a standard 1500 with 32 inch tires? Is the Rebel really a 3.79?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm really hoping to one day see DTE 1000 miles when I fill up (diesel) but with a Limited, 3.92, and ORG, I doubt I'll ever get a high enough average.

Users who are viewing this thread