5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient temperature sensor

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have. Ambient sensor replaced few months back. Now this morning 37 degrees outside and truck saying it’s 59 so instead of seat warmer the seat cooler comes on. This truck is garbage. Breaks squealing. Took them 4 attempts at replacing to fix that. High pitch telegraph/Morse code noise in windy conditions. Keyless entry was not working Had to replace part. Truck jumping at stop lights...had to take in for transmission “update”. Radio/anything sound related randomly quits putting out sound. Have to turn truck off n back on to get it to work. It’s random. No fix for that. Been told numerous times since I bought in September 2018 that update coming for that. Still nothing. Transmission went into manual mode n had to turn truck off in middle of road n turn back on to get that working right.(zen middle of traffic...thank god was on side road w just a few cars as my family was in truck. They told me I hit the manual button to do that. Done it a couple times randomly so not buying that I pushed that. The list goes on....taken truck in 11-12 times in little over a year for issues. Worst decision/investment I’ve ever made purchasing this truck. It’s horrible. They/FCA only want to offer me a few grand for all these things issues. Thus is a garbage truck with a company who cares less as they already got 47-48k of my money. Put a ton down to keep payments minimal. Dodge 2019...if anyone thinking about purchasing run the other way. Buy a GMC. They know how to make luxury trucks. Dodge has sailed failed on every level miserably.

Wow....lemon law or an attorney would be my advice. I have a 2019 1500....great truck so far.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My outside temp reads 85 degrees. Actual temp is 50. Truck was outside in the sun for several hours. So my ventilated seats were on after starting remotely. Once I drive for a little while the outside temp reading drops slowly. 2019 Ram 2500. Purchased 5 weeks ago. Any suggestions besides taking to dealer

Hello Tmcb,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your Ram and we certainly understand your hesitation with visiting. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local certified dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
RamCares

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned off my truck. Unplugged the sensor. Turned on my truck, and the sensor read 185. I plugged the sensor back in and the temperature read normal. It was stuck at 31 degrees for 2 days. It was 60 outside. However it was colder a few days ago.
Is your temp sensor still working correctly? Mine read 48 this morning when the actual temperature was 33. Needless to say the seat and steering wheel didn’t come on. Mine is always off a few degrees but lately it seems that it stays on whatever the temperature was the last time it was driven. I am considering trying what you did but wanted to confirm it is a long term fix before attempting.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is your temp sensor still working correctly? Mine read 48 this morning when the actual temperature was 33. Needless to say the seat and steering wheel didn’t come on. Mine is always off a few degrees but lately it seems that it stays on whatever the temperature was the last time it was driven. I am considering trying what you did but wanted to confirm it is a long term fix before attempting.

Still working like a charm. I actually noticed the other day that when I was driving in the random Ohio Winter where its hot and cold that the cool air kicked on when the sun came out. There were times previously where my car would be crazy hot or crazy cold like it wasn't recognizing what the temperatures was in the cab or outside. I would say its definitely more comfortable in the cab. Also the Temperature sensor seems to be spot on.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still working like a charm. I actually noticed the other day that when I was driving in the random Ohio Winter where its hot and cold that the cool air kicked on when the sun came out. There were times previously where my car would be crazy hot or crazy cold like it wasn't recognizing what the temperatures was in the cab or outside. I would say its definitely more comfortable in the cab. Also the Temperature sensor seems to be spot on.
Glad to hear. I disconnected mine and it only went down 2 degrees then went back up after a while. The check engine light also came on and wouldn’t go away so I had to do disconnect the negative battery cable to reset it. I’m still waiting for all of my features to return to my 12”.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear. I disconnected mine and it only went down 2 degrees then went back up after a while. The check engine light also came on and wouldn’t go away so I had to do disconnect the negative battery cable to reset it. I’m still waiting for all of my features to return to my 12”.

There's evidently is an OTA update going around. Maybe it will fix all the issues and give us the features we were advertised. I was told it turn on online search for the navigation. I did not have any Check Engine lights after unplugging mine.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's evidently is an OTA update going around. Maybe it will fix all the issues and give us the features we were advertised. I was told it turn on online search for the navigation. I did not have any Check Engine lights after unplugging mine.
I’m hoping to get the update. I would love for the offline search feature to get fixed. Thank you again for the response. Greatly appreciated.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's evidently is an OTA update going around.
I’m hoping to get the update.
So far it looks like only the 2020 trucks getting the update. My dad got his this past weekend (his is a 2020).

I contacted FCA about when the 2019 trucks would get it since we've had the issue for a year longer and they told me that they not only don't have a release date, they don't even know if the 2019 trucks are going to get one. :mad:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you get in your truck your center screen will have a big pop-up window telling you there's an update available.

The truck has to sit while the update is updating. If you don't have 45 minutes or so schedule it for when you do.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So far it looks like only the 2020 trucks getting the update. My dad got his this past weekend (his is a 2020).

I contacted FCA about when the 2019 trucks would get it since we've had the issue for a year longer and they told me that they not only don't have a release date, they don't even know if the 2019 trucks are going to get one. :mad:

This forum post is out of control about the Updates. 2019's are getting them depending on your hardware version.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That is BS if the 2019s don’t get it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This forum post is out of control about the Updates. 2019's are getting them depending on your hardware version.
Would be nice if FCA could tell me something instead of "I don't know when the updates are scheduled or if your truck is going to get one". Some actual info would alleviate a lot of the griping.

This has also been brewing for a long time. I've had my truck for almost a year and have been told that an update would be out soon since I bought the truck. Now that something is actually rolling out people are clamoring to find out if/when they'll get it, including me.

If I bought a Kia Soul I'd live with it and wait until the manufacturer did something but at these prices I expect a little more. I did want a truck but the sticker on my domestic full-size pickup was the same as a mid-level Lexus F-Sport or a well-optioned C-Class Mercedes. Do you think any of those owners would be accepting of a lot of electronic issues we've been having?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would be nice if FCA could tell me something instead of "I don't know when the updates are scheduled or if your truck is going to get one". Some actual info would alleviate a lot of the griping.

This has also been brewing for a long time. I've had my truck for almost a year and have been told that an update would be out soon since I bought the truck. Now that something is actually rolling out people are clamoring to find out if/when they'll get it, including me.

If I bought a Kia Soul I'd live with it and wait until the manufacturer did something but at these prices I expect a little more. I did want a truck but the sticker on my domestic full-size pickup was the same as a mid-level Lexus F-Sport or a well-optioned C-Class Mercedes. Do you think any of those owners would be accepting of a lot of electronic issues we've been having?

I contacted FCA/Uconnect and those idiots told me that there would be no more OTA, and that no one is getting OTA updates any more. I told him that he was wrong and that OTA updates are rolling out to users. He said no that's not possible have a great day. FCA/Uconnect is completely clueless on what is going on. There might be someone who knows whats going on but I haven't spoke with them. This is the problem when a manufacturing company turns into a software development company. Hardware and software are very different to manage. I guess we will see how this OTA update goes.

Also since the new Uconnect version is coming out next year we most likely won't see any more updates for the 2019-2020 models.

I agree with the price vs. what we received. Some people were talking about doing a class action lawsuit which I think would make sense. I think FCA got this truck out, got Truck of the Year, and just figured they could milk it without fixing the issues. We will see what happens.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Why on earth would they put the temp sensor in the drivers mirror? What was wrong with putting it behind the grill like most vehicles did or do?
Mine does the same stupid thing, if its parked in the sun the reading is super high then once I start moving like over 20 mph then it comes back down to pretty close to the ambient temps. It sucks because If im in my truck eating lunch and want to know the temp I have to use my phone because I know its not right.

evansrd

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this. I purchased a 2019 Laramie last week. The outdoor air temp was reading 84 when it was 27 degrees out. I took it back to the original dealer who pulled a P0071 - Ambient Senor Failed. They didn't have the sensor in stock, so I took it to a local dealer this week. They replaced the sensor and it had the same issue. They then replaced the entire driver's side mirror. It is now reading 38 with an actual temperature of 30, so closer, but not accurate. I'm pulling the actual outdoor temps from the weather data. The dealer is now checking with tech support.

I couldn't find much in the way of others having this issue on this forum, but I've read the past history of electrical issues with the 19. Needless to say, 3 out of the first 7 days in the shop is not making me happy.
I have a 2019 Laramie,Long Horn my issue is opposite. When the outside temp is over 90deg the inside reads-27 deg. And wont allow the sc to vome on. I replaced the sensor in the side mirrow. No difference. Tep. Is pretty accurate under 90 degrees. So I tokk my new truck 2 years old 39000 miles to Rick Hendrick Dodge and came out with a 1000.00 bill. Sensor and harness replaced.Calling Dodge to see if they can help out. Sounds like alot of issues

moparleo51

Reaction score
so wheres the outside temp sensor? on my 2021 ram laramie ,i dont see any where on the the mirror housing any sensor, theres only the puddle light and my 360 camera lens there. can any one tell me where it is as mines is reading like 81 out and its only like 45 now.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
so wheres the outside temp sensor? on my 2021 ram laramie ,i dont see any where on the the mirror housing any sensor, theres only the puddle light and my 360 camera lens there. can any one tell me where it is as mines is reading like 81 out and its only like 45 now.

20230112_093914.jpg

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah you can blame the idiot engineers who moved the sensor to the mirror for this. The location just inside the grille was the ideal spot. That way, it's shielded from solar radiation, and it's getting a nice breeze on the sensor while driving so that readings were accurate. With the new spot on the mirror it gets blasted by sun, and also affected by the heat soaking of the mirror and housing. Just incredibly stupid.

Having said that, I have ways of verifying my readings as a meteorologist and when I drive my 2022 down the road it's very very very close...within 1°F typically. But, you've got to be driving down the road and you have to give the plastics several minutes in the wind to acclimate before the sensor can read well. If you just hop in the truck and go don't expect it to read accurately immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online