5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient temperature sensor

Jplumley

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this. I purchased a 2019 Laramie last week. The outdoor air temp was reading 84 when it was 27 degrees out. I took it back to the original dealer who pulled a P0071 - Ambient Senor Failed. They didn't have the sensor in stock, so I took it to a local dealer this week. They replaced the sensor and it had the same issue. They then replaced the entire driver's side mirror. It is now reading 38 with an actual temperature of 30, so closer, but not accurate. I'm pulling the actual outdoor temps from the weather data. The dealer is now checking with tech support.

I couldn't find much in the way of others having this issue on this forum, but I've read the past history of electrical issues with the 19. Needless to say, 3 out of the first 7 days in the shop is not making me happy.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so what is the scenario for your reading the temp? is the vehicle being driven or sitting still in the sun? or what?

Jplumley

Reaction score
All of the above over the past week. When I picked it up today, it had been sitting outside in the sun. It read 45 with an outdoor temp of 33. I drove it around for 10 minutes and it dropped to 40 and didn't drop any further for the next 10 minutes.

knightro84

Reaction score
My ambient temp sensor will read high too, especially if it is in the sun. Today it was 75 degrees and sunny, went to my truck leaving work at 4 PM and it said it was 100 degrees outside. I have a 17 mile drive home, about 12 of it is on the interstate. Even by the time I had been traveling at 70 mph for nearly 12 miles the outside temp only dropped to 83. Driving though some shaded areas on the secondary roads to my house it did drop to 79, but the outdoor temp sensor I have at the house was reading 73 - so it definitely seems to read high.

knightro84

Reaction score
Ambient Temp Sensor is mounted to a removable panel on the bottom of the driver's side rear view mirror.
To access the sensor, the panel is easily removed (carefully, of course) with a flat blade screwdriver or equivalent.

Steve

Thanks for the info, I might take a peek this weekend. Seems like a weird place to mount a temp sensor!

knightro84

Reaction score
I actually just went out to the garage and sure enough you can see the tip of the temp sensor sticking out of the front side of the mirror assembly on the drivers side. The panel comes off, but I didn't mess with it.

Do you mind me asking where you found a copy of the FSM? I've been searching online but haven't been able to find one (I don't mind paying for one, just don't know where to purchase).

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Went to www.techauthority.com and entered the VIN in the space provided. Then selected Service Manuals from the list on the left.
Then drill down the Service Manuals on Disc/USB for the RAM 1500.
Here's the label info off my CD:
2019 Service Information
DT
81-370-19064-CD
08/2018
RAM 1500 PICKUP

Oh. The manual is in a format that requires MS Internet Explorer. It wouldn't run on any other browser.
Just went and checked. Seems that one is out of stock just now. I got mine back in October of last year, just after I got the Ram.

Steve

Last edited:

Larry Crim

Reaction score
mine has been off since I bought it usually it's off reading high about 5-10 deg but sometimes even after driving for a long time it has read as high as 45 deg higher than the outside actual temp

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Went to www.techauthority.com and entered the VIN in the space provided. Then selected Service Manuals from the list on the left.
Then drill down the Service Manuals on Disc/USB for the RAM 1500.
Here's the label info off my CD:
2019 Service Information
DT
81-370-19064-CD
08/2018
RAM 1500 PICKUP

Oh. The manual is in a format that requires MS Internet Explorer. It wouldn't run on any other browser.
Just went and checked. Seems that one is out of stock just now. I got mine back in October of last year, just after I got the Ram.

Steve

The Techauthority subscription will also run in Chrome.

Attachments

• 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning - Controls - Sensor, Ambient Temperature - Removal and Insta...pdf
    137 KB · Views: 159
  • 650 - Sensor, Ambient Temperature, Outside mirror.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 223

Jplumley

Reaction score
I have found that it ends up being about 6 degrees higher than ambient. It’s been about 30-50 degrees ambient. I’m interested to see what happens in the summer. The ambient definitely affects the A/C system. Now that the sensor is reading somewhat correct, the cab is definitely more comfortable.

Strongcong

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this. I purchased a 2019 Laramie last week. The outdoor air temp was reading 84 when it was 27 degrees out. I took it back to the original dealer who pulled a P0071 - Ambient Senor Failed. They didn't have the sensor in stock, so I took it to a local dealer this week. They replaced the sensor and it had the same issue. They then replaced the entire driver's side mirror. It is now reading 38 with an actual temperature of 30, so closer, but not accurate. I'm pulling the actual outdoor temps from the weather data. The dealer is now checking with tech support.

I couldn't find much in the way of others having this issue on this forum, but I've read the past history of electrical issues with the 19. Needless to say, 3 out of the first 7 days in the shop is not making me happy.
I have. Ambient sensor replaced few months back. Now this morning 37 degrees outside and truck saying it’s 59 so instead of seat warmer the seat cooler comes on. This truck is garbage. Breaks squealing. Took them 4 attempts at replacing to fix that. High pitch telegraph/Morse code noise in windy conditions. Keyless entry was not working Had to replace part. Truck jumping at stop lights...had to take in for transmission “update”. Radio/anything sound related randomly quits putting out sound. Have to turn truck off n back on to get it to work. It’s random. No fix for that. Been told numerous times since I bought in September 2018 that update coming for that. Still nothing. Transmission went into manual mode n had to turn truck off in middle of road n turn back on to get that working right.(zen middle of traffic...thank god was on side road w just a few cars as my family was in truck. They told me I hit the manual button to do that. Done it a couple times randomly so not buying that I pushed that. The list goes on....taken truck in 11-12 times in little over a year for issues. Worst decision/investment I’ve ever made purchasing this truck. It’s horrible. They/FCA only want to offer me a few grand for all these things issues. Thus is a garbage truck with a company who cares less as they already got 47-48k of my money. Put a ton down to keep payments minimal. Dodge 2019...if anyone thinking about purchasing run the other way. Buy a GMC. They know how to make luxury trucks. Dodge has sailed failed on every level miserably.

Strongcong

Reaction score
I have. Ambient sensor replaced few months back. Now this morning 37 degrees outside and truck saying it’s 59 so instead of seat warmer the seat cooler comes on. This truck is garbage. Breaks squealing. Took them 4 attempts at replacing to fix that. High pitch telegraph/Morse code noise in windy conditions. Keyless entry was not working Had to replace part. Truck jumping at stop lights...had to take in for transmission “update”. Radio/anything sound related randomly quits putting out sound. Have to turn truck off n back on to get it to work. It’s random. No fix for that. Been told numerous times since I bought in September 2018 that update coming for that. Still nothing. Transmission went into manual mode n had to turn truck off in middle of road n turn back on to get that working right.(zen middle of traffic...thank god was on side road w just a few cars as my family was in truck. They told me I hit the manual button to do that. Done it a couple times randomly so not buying that I pushed that. The list goes on....taken truck in 11-12 times in little over a year for issues. Worst decision/investment I’ve ever made purchasing this truck. It’s horrible. They/FCA only want to offer me a few grand for all these things issues. Thus is a garbage truck with a company who cares less as they already got 47-48k of my money. Put a ton down to keep payments minimal. Dodge 2019...if anyone thinking about purchasing run the other way. Buy a GMC. They know how to make luxury trucks. Dodge has sailed failed on every level miserably.
Oh and the back up camera had to be replaced. Randomly turned to blue screen w nothing on it. Garbage. I’ve had 15x more issues with this one truck than ALL the vehicles I’ve ever owned. New and used.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I turned off my truck. Unplugged the sensor. Turned on my truck, and the sensor read 185. I plugged the sensor back in and the temperature read normal. It was stuck at 31 degrees for 2 days. It was 60 outside. However it was colder a few days ago.

Blueline308

Reaction score
I turned off my truck. Unplugged the sensor. Turned on my truck, and the sensor read 185. I plugged the sensor back in and the temperature read normal. It was stuck at 31 degrees for 2 days. It was 60 outside. However it was colder a few days ago.
Please keep us updated on whether or not this remedies the problem long term.

Boscowtx

Reaction score
Have the same problem with my 1 week old 3500 dually Larmamie

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everything is still working great haven't had any issues for the past 2 weeks with the temp sensor. It's extremely easy to remove and unplug. Just need a small Flathead screw driver.

Tmcb

Reaction score
My outside temp reads 85 degrees. Actual temp is 50. Truck was outside in the sun for several hours. So my ventilated seats were on after starting remotely. Once I drive for a little while the outside temp reading drops slowly. 2019 Ram 2500. Purchased 5 weeks ago. Any suggestions besides taking to dealer

Users who are viewing this thread