5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateur Radio (ham) install

PHFT

Reaction score
weird! mine is def oval. for sur

this makes no sense. The top is round, yes. The actual metal opening is oval. That’s the Part that makes me cringe. Replacing an oval grommet is way harder than a round one.

Don't know what to tell you, once I pulled that plastic oval grommet out this is the round metal hole in the truck that it was filling, you can even see the blue glue from the plastic oval grommet in both pictures (the second picture was when I just pushed the oval grommet up into the truck and slid it slightly out of the way.

If you just fully remove that plastic oval grommet, the hole that it is filling in the truck will be round, I know it doesn't make sense but thats what it is for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_8427.jpg
    IMG_8427.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

brdima

Reaction score
While I was having my VIOFO A129 Pro Duo Dash Cam installed at the car audio shop, I talked the guys into running the ant. cable, power wires, control head & mic cables for me. It cost me a few dollars more, but saved me the headache & I know it was done right. I went around it like this.
View attachment 61870 View attachment 61871
View attachment 61872 View attachment 61873
View attachment 61874 View attachment 61875

Everything is under the carpet & console.
Which Breedlove model is that? Does it have the 4° angle? Thanks!

ClayFire2

Reaction score
Alright I need some help. I had purchased the Larson mount that someone posted previously but the only one they make does not go over the cab anymore it hangs off the back towards the bed and has 2 stabilizers that hang off and rest against the rear window.. I want nothing to do with that.. What are some other suggestions for mounting? I have 2 VHF/UHF Compactenna and I want to mount on the roof but don't want to drill into the roof and don't want to you mag mount. I'm at a loss at this point and don't know how to go about making this happen.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

TBK

Reaction score
What is the folding antenna mount you used? Have been looking around but haven't had much luck. Im going to use the Larson third brake light mount but will need the folding mounts to fit in the garage. Kind of a pain in the *** but will but a lot better with the antennas for me in that location. So far awesome information on your install!

It was a Rhino Rack folding aerial bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ramchaser

Reaction score
I just used two Laird NMO trunk lip mounts on the back corners of the hood for a nice clean install. Did not want to put a hole in the roof this time on this vehicle because of the height issues with parking garages, etc.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I just used two Laird NMO trunk lip mounts on the back corners of the hood for a nice clean install. Did not want to put a hole in the roof this time on this vehicle because of the height issues with parking garages, etc.
Yeah I have one antenna there but wanted to move all of them higher but I'm thinking thats not going to be able to happen. I do have a cover on my bed but placing things on that leaves part of it inoperable..

kg4laa

Reaction score
Since I've had the truck for a week I'm finally finding time to start a few "necessary" modifications... one of which is adding my IC2820.

Right now I'm planning on using mag mounts on the roof (not the best, but if the antennas are up there I need to be able to move them when I have canoes on the roof). Rather than use my favorite Larsen 2/70 I'm switching to 1/4 waves for VHF and UHF... in theory in access mode I can make it in to the garage without the antennas getting tweaked TOO much.

Looking at where to route the antenna wires, there is a plug just to the rear of the floor storage boxes that looks promising. From there under the floor (likely along the box for protection). At the moment I'm planning on the radio being under the passenger seat or hopefully under the center seat (bench seat Laramie).

Another option would be to run the coax through the rubber plug along with the eTorque battery cables, but I'd like to stay away from those if I can.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to ot
Since I've had the truck for a week I'm finally finding time to start a few "necessary" modifications... one of which is adding my IC2820.

Right now I'm planning on using mag mounts on the roof (not the best, but if the antennas are up there I need to be able to move them when I have canoes on the roof). Rather than use my favorite Larsen 2/70 I'm switching to 1/4 waves for VHF and UHF... in theory in access mode I can make it in to the garage without the antennas getting tweaked TOO much.

Looking at where to route the antenna wires, there is a plug just to the rear of the floor storage boxes that looks promising. From there under the floor (likely along the box for protection). At the moment I'm planning on the radio being under the passenger seat or hopefully under the center seat (bench seat Laramie).

Another option would be to run the coax through the rubber plug along with the eTorque battery cables, but I'd like to stay away from those if I can.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to others.
I am currently working with a 3d printer to make a no holes option to the install of mt equipment. I have a 2020 Larmie and will be installing HF UHF and Dstar. So far I have found that the cargo rails installed on some of the trucks make excelent no hole antenna mounting locations. I will post pictures as i get further along!!

KG4LAA

kg4laa

Reaction score
I am currently working with a 3d printer to make a no-holes option for the install of mt equipment. I have a 2020 Laramie and will be installing HF UHF and Dstar. So far I have found that the cargo rails installed on some of the trucks make excellent no hole antenna mounting locations. I will post pictures as I get further along!!

Mikey ABQ

Reaction score
Last change! Also sorry for hogging up this thread lately!

I didn’t like the Velcro. Couldn’t see it at an angle and it wasn’t sticking well. Also was getting blocked with the center tray forward.

I was looking at moving it in front of the CD player at a slight up angle for easier access and better visibility. I was able to BEND the stock mount into a unique position I can’t really describe, turn it upside down, and then mount it perfectly with no screws or drilling and it’s solid as a rock. Basically hooked it up under on the ridge that runs under the switches. Hard to explain but it’s freaking perfect and solid. Sits exactly where I wanted it and the exact angle. So it’s in and I’m done. If it works it’s way over time I’d just fashion a mount to put it in the same spot. This is a great location.

306d281f49e1e326e75d818e25b1e930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lhn

Reaction score
I have 2 VHF/UHF Compactenna and I want to mount on the roof but don't want to drill into the roof and don't want to you mag mount.

Drill an NMO into the roof. It's the best way to go and you can quickly remove it if you need to. A 1/4 wave whip works well there and will not rip off if you hit anything with it.

I have a page with pictures of my radio install here: https://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/2020_Ram_1500_Radio_Install

I need to update it as I've swapped the UHF XTL to a APX8500 now.

mountainmonkey

Reaction score
I don't believe so. This is the model I bought. Breedlove #930
I have the same mount and want to mount my antenna in the same place as you except on the passenger side. It looks like my front stake holes are covered and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to pop the covers off. Do I just need to be more forceful, or is it something that needs cut? Any help is appreciated. 2020 Rebel

brdima

Reaction score
I have the same mount and want to mount my antenna in the same place as you except on the passenger side. It looks like my front stake holes are covered and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to pop the covers off. Do I just need to be more forceful, or is it something that needs cut? Any help is appreciated. 2020 Rebel
The front stake pockets need to be cut out. They’re all one part of the plastic that runs along the top bed rail. I used an exacto knife, took 3 minutes.
I just test fitted my mount yesterday in my 2019 big horn... the front most of the stake pocket lip (part of the truck, not mount) didn’t have enough clearance to fit the mount under, so I had to gently pull the lip up just slightly to create a bigger gap. Now fits well and very snug.
off to solder a new pl259 to my existing antenna.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have ramboxs, you don’t have stake pockets

mountainmonkey

Reaction score
The front stake pockets need to be cut out. They’re all one part of the plastic that runs along the top bed rail. I used an exacto knife, took 3 minutes.
I just test fitted my mount yesterday in my 2019 big horn... the front most of the stake pocket lip (part of the truck, not mount) didn’t have enough clearance to fit the mount under, so I had to gently pull the lip up just slightly to create a bigger gap. Now fits well and very snug.
off to solder a new pl259 to my existing antenna.
Is it as simple as following the rectangular outline in the plastic bed rail cap with the exacto? I’ve heard that other manufacturers plastic bed cap outlines for the stake pockets don’t actually line up exactly with the pocket itself. Usually the outline in the plastic is larger than the actual pocket.
If you have ramboxs, you don’t have stake pockets
No Ram boxes here, but thank you for the heads up!

brdima

Reaction score
Is it as simple as following the rectangular outline in the plastic bed rail cap with the exacto? I’ve heard that other manufacturers plastic bed cap outlines for the stake pockets don’t actually line up exactly with the pocket itself. Usually the outline in the plastic is larger than the actual pocket.

No Ram boxes here, but thank you for the heads up!
I didn't take note how well it aligned. for my purpose with the breedlove mount, it was fine and the breedlove mount covers the entire opening and than some.
didn't keep track of the posts, are you thinking of going with the breedlove mount? The reason I ask is that you *could* get a lip mount antenna mount inside the stakepocket which can mount to various parts of the brackets inside the stakepocket, OR mount it to the bed rail itself (under the plastic). I used a lip mount for an antenna I had mounted in the back stake pocket (at rear of the bed), BUT the rear stake pocket was simple to access behind the tail light.

squid013

Reaction score
Ok, after doing all this reading, I have a power wagon, and would like to mount up a CB right now, and a HAM later as Im pursuing a license this year. Cell service has been all sorts of weird around Houston over the last few weeks to a month. Any suggestions on mounting to the floor infront of the center front seat?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread