5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateur Radio (ham) install

Tswag

Reaction score
Thanks for all the pictures. This will help me with my planned install. No Ham radio for me. I'm just doing a GMRS install since more people have these radios and my old CB's, well it's like listening to myself talk.
Hey, I was just wondering if you ever got your GMRS installed? I'm still trying to find a good spot to install my Midland radio. I'm leaning towards building a custom box and just doing a floor mount.

Mike77

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just bought a 2019 Ram Long Horn Crew Cab and looking to install my mobile ham radio. How are you getting through the firewall for power? I see the big "boot" under the driver's side and have pulled it back a little to have a look. How are you getting through? Can someone post a picture of how you have done it?

Mike77

Reaction score
Simple sharp knife small slit!
Sarge
Thanks for the reply! So I pull back the rubber boot cover, make a small slit next to the exiting cables already going through, and push my new cable through that slit?

Do I need to remove anything on the other side of firewall or will I see my cable after I push it through?

Thanks for your help!!

Sarge

Reaction score
You really don't need to move anything. I just found a spot in the boot ON THE ENGINE SIDE of the firewall made a slit large enough to get the cable thru , pushed it thru and pulled it the rest of the way from the interior side of the firewall. Then ran it where ever it needed to go to look good.
Sarge

RiverRunner16

Reaction score
That is A nice inst
That is A nice Install...Did you do all the Bonding of the doors, fenders, hood etc. for your HF rig ?
Thanks,
Scott KD7VKW

AE0MT

Reaction score
That is A nice inst

That is A nice Install...Did you do all the Bonding of the doors, fenders, hood etc. for your HF rig ?
Thanks,
Scott KD7VKW
I haven't done any bonding yet, though I am sure I need to. It's a bit cold to do too much yet this winter, and my garage isn't big enough. My in-laws garage is, but I don't get down there every other day to work on it.
I will say this, 16 spark plugs sure does make a ton of QRM.

AE0MT

Reaction score
Very nice install. What did you use to mount the head unit for the 891? Also where do you have the control units mounted?
The 891 is screwed onto a piece of 1.5" Aluminum L, and then that piece of aluminum is stuck to the bottom of the center console with some 3M exterior mounting tape. I found the bottom of the console was surprisingly flat, and had the right upward angle to tilt the display to a nice angle for easy viewing.

NewRamFan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for post. Just bought my first Dodge (2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn). I haven't had my radio in a truck for a very long time! Looking forward to a DIY install.

NewRamFan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for post. Just bought my first Dodge (2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn). I haven't had my radio in a truck for a very long time! Looking forward to a DIY install.
A quick question - How are you all dealing with power requirements? Direct to battery or or any relays so the radio power is off when truck is off?

grum

Reaction score
i am glad to have found this thread and forum, nice to meet ya, im Grum.

i have mounted my radios behind the rear drivers seat (2019 longhorn 4 door) im going to route the antenna wiring through the vents at the rear of the cab.
20200120_173557.jpg

20200120_173604.jpg

i mounted the antennas using brackets i fabricated to bolt in to the existing holes that the cargo tie downs are bolted to.

20200120_173702.jpg
20200120_173721.jpg

everything so far has mounted using existing holes. and i am not real keen on drilling new holes in the truck at this point.

problem i am currently having is figuring out where to put the head unit that keeps it out of the way, but makes it still usable while driving down the road.
i havent ran the coax to the antennas yet, but plan to enter into the bed at the hole in the top towards the front of the box on each side to prevent any cargo i carry
from damaging the coax. from there it will go to the bottom of the bed, and loop back up to enter the cab at the rear vents that are behind the seats. it looks like i will be able to push back a rubber flap to get the coax in, then seal around it so it doesnt lose its functionality.

the power wire, head unit control wire, and the speaker wire are ran under the carpet at the hump from the rear of the cab to under the center console where the speaker wire branches off,
and the power / head wires continue to the front area. the power wire goes all the way to the firewall where it makes a left under the carpet to a rubber grommet for the shifter cable is, and i pushed it out through that rubber seal.

the head unit wire comes up in front of the console and goes to the front where the head unit will sit on top of the wireless charging mat.

soon will have the coax, speaker, and power connected and will be back on the air!

update on the antennas performance...

the vhf/uhf performance surpasses my expectations! on the last ram, it was mounted on the side of the cross body tool box, bonded ground etc and on this installation it is inboard and just below bed rail . it actually out performs the previous install!! all radio equipment is same except the mounts and antenna locations.

it looks like the hf antenna works as good or better than the previous installation as well!

grum.

Last edited:

grum

Reaction score
The 891 is screwed onto a piece of 1.5" Aluminum L, and then that piece of aluminum is stuck to the bottom of the center console with some 3M exterior mounting tape. I found the bottom of the console was surprisingly flat, and had the right upward angle to tilt the display to a nice angle for easy viewing.
i ended up mounting mine the same way, great idea! this looks like the only option i had without drilling holes with the 12 inch screen.

inside the cab the only thing you see is the head unit and about 3/4 inch of wiring....
i am running a mkiig

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online